laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fred & Ginger box set 2 (Universal - region 2)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger box set 2 (Universal - region 2) Reply with quote

Well I haven't seen any comments from anybody who has bought this box set. I, unfortunately, won't be back home (England) until the middle of March so I won't be able to get it until then. I have seen that Universal are also selling a box set of all eight too and is only ten pounds more than the set of four. It will be interesting to know how they packaged that one and the comments too (if any).
I will of course get back once I am back home and have bought and checked it. Until then, I shall continue using my time machine to go back and dance with Ginger.

Peter
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: FRED AND GINGER - UNIVERSAL'S BOX 2 Reply with quote

Thanks Peter. It will be interesting to get your comments.

In the meantime, be sure to tell Ginger not to wear feathers.

Ken
Jean Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

Just obtained the new DVD of Daddy Long Legs. It's terrific. Lovely picture quality and fine sound. And what a joy, at last, to see this great musical in all its original widescreen glory.

Congratulations also to Ken Barnes and Ava Astaire Mackenzie for a really entertaining audio commentary with delightful archive comments from the film's songwriter, the legendary Johnny Mercer.
JD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Universal's 2nd Fred and Ginger Reply with quote

I've just looked at Universal's 2nd Fred and Ginger box. After the excellent presentation and DVD chaptering and design of box No. 1, this is an enormous letdown. I don't know how Universal could start out so well and end in such a lacklustre way. My advice to potential buyers is forget it and buy the complete Astaire-Rogers on Warners region 1.

As far as I'm concerned, Universal have blown it.
beaukoojack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: truly, truly disappointing!!!! Reply with quote

After owning, loving and playing to death the wonderful Universal/Laureate Fred and Ginger Collection Volume 1 for the past couple of years I was salivating at the prospect of the release of Volume 2. I have rarely been so disappointed, there's only one word to describe it - awful. The packaging, is identical to the first collection and excellent. I opened it with growing anticipation and and put 'Flying Down To Rio' in my DVD player. It was almost unwatchable with scratches and marks throughout the film and an equally unlistenable soundtrack of varying volume, hissing and bad quality. Next 'The Gay Divorcee' almost, but not quite, as bad. 'The Story Of Irene And Vernon Castle' - better but not really sharp enough - the improvement obviously coming from a better print. Lastly 'Swing Time', which I was keen to compare with my region 1 release. This was the best of the lot, but again obviously due to a better print of the film (even so there were quite a few 'jumps'). I haven't felt so conned in ages. It is obvious that someone felt with all us Fred and Ginger fans out there they could get away without the expense of restoring and they probably will, because by the time you find out about it it's too late. I suppose now it's too much to hope we'll ever get to see properly restored versions of these films. My well-worn VHS tapes are probably better quality. Still, I've got the upcoming release of ‘Daddy Longlegs’ to look forward to! As I’m new to this site I'd like to take the opportunity to congratulate Ken and all of you for the wonderful work you have carried out on many of the films in my collection.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Fred, Ginger & Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

Dear Beaukoojack,

Your comments re. Universal's second box set of Fred & Ginger is consistent with several other opinions I've received over the last week or so including guest J.D. ( who left a note on today's Message Board ).

On a more positive note ( echoed by Jean Wilson also on today's Message Board ), I can assure you that the new Fox DVD on "Daddy Long Legs" offers a top notch, high quality picture and a fine soundtrack in Dolby Digital 4.1. The audio commentary which I did with Fred's daughter, Ava is loaded with information and rare details about the making of the film.
The only thing I should apologise for is the fact that I had a bad case of laryngitis during the recording while Ava was suffering the after-effects of a heavy dose of flu. Fortunately, this is off-set by some nice archive interview comments from Johnny Mercer ( recorded in London in 1973).

There is also some interesting footage of the film's premieres both in Los Angeles and London - which also contains audio commentary from Ava and myself.

I'm sure you'll be more than impressed by the outstanding transer that Fox have done of this much-requested film. So, in this instance, you can buy with confidence.
beaukoojack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ken
Thanks for your swift reply. It's so nice to come across someone like yourself who takes the time in what must be a very busy schedule to reply personally to postings on a message board like this.
I have in fact owned a DVD copy of 'Daddy Longlegs' for about a year now, which I bought on ebay. It's not very good and obviously a VHS to DVD transfer. I look forward in great anticipation to the new release.

Keep up the great work
PS IS there any chance you may be allowed to sort out a 'proper' release of the other four sometime in the future do you think?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Universal's Fred & Ginger Reply with quote

That's a question only Universal can answer.

Ill pass your thoughts on to them along with the opinions of others who have taken the time to contact me.

Thanks
Ken
Ron Patmore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger - box 2 Reply with quote

Compared to the excellence of the first box set, Universal's belated second box is a real disappointment. This has been put together by people who are at best insensitive and,at worst, moronic. Isn't there anyone in that company who cares about the interests of the serious collector ?
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Universal vs. Warners Reply with quote

Like many other collectors, I applauded Universal's first box set of Fred and Ginger for its classy presentation and great historical detail. I can't understand why they would want to follow it up with such a sloppy and badly presented second box. It's hard to see Universal as anything but cheapskates.

It's too bad that Warners - who have done quite a good job with their first Astaire-Rogers box - don't have worldwide rights. Their extras may not be as good as the ones produced for Universal by Ken Barnes featuring Ava Astaire Mackenzie but they always make an effort to give the collector full value for money. This is why they are way ahead of Universal in the international DVD market.

I think it's best to skip this second set from Universal and go all the way with Warners who will be releasing their second box later this year.
Steve Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger devalued Reply with quote

After noting all the unfavourable comments regarding Universal's second box of Fred and Ginger, I can only conclude that the company is populated by cold-fish executives who care nothing for the films they are selling and even less for the needs of the film buff.

I can understand this attitude because I've come across it many times in business. But what I can't understand is why, after giving us such a superb first box, they should resort to releasing such a shoddy second box. These people have no respect whatever for their customers.

Well, they're not getting my custom. It's the Warners collection for me.
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: The return of Fred & Ginger Reply with quote

Well how disappointing this all is although I'm hardly surprised at any of the comments. However, I shall still get the set just to see for myself when I return home next month.
Oh by the way Ken, I did ask her not to wear any dresses with feathers. She was kind enough to oblige but she turned up wearing a beaded dress. I have a very sore face today.

Peter
beaukoojack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Boxset 2 Reply with quote

Hello Peter

Yes that's exactly what I would have done, even having read all the adverse comments (including my own!) just to own these wonderful films on DVD at last.

I reckon that's exactly why Universal made their decision not to go to the expense of restoring them. They knew there were loads of people out there, just like you and me, who would buy them. It was obviously a cold, calculated and cynical executive decision to foist these very bad quality DVDs on to an unsuspecting public.

They knew very well that most people would buy them expecting the same quality as the first boxset. Even those that found out about it before would, as I said above, still shell out of their hard earned cash to help fill Universal's coffers. That's business I suppose, the shareholders come first!

Still, I have put a similar review to the one I posted on this messageboard on Amazon.co.uk, so (if they print it!) perhaps a few people might get the message before it’s too late.
J.Ordway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: DADDY LONG LEGS Reply with quote

I just want to say a big thank you for the great new DVD of "Daddy Long Legs." It looks and sounds wonderful and the extras are fine.
Congratulations .Let's see more DVDs of this standard.
Celia Hall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Universal Reply with quote

Along with many other collectors, my family and I were so looking forward to Universal's second box set of Fred and Ginger. But now, having learned of the poor quality and the complete lack of extras, we've decided to wait until later in the year for the second box from Warners on region 1.

We've just ordered Fox's "Daddy Long Legs" which does contain extras including a welcome audio commentary from Ava Astaire Mackenzie and Ken Barnes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: