laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Married A Witch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: I Married A Witch Reply with quote

Hello Mark and Ken. Hope you are both well. I have a question about Veronica Lake and could only think of putting it here so here is the question.
Her 1942 film I Married A Witch was due for release (I read somewhere last year) in June but it still hasn't been released as far as I know and would like to know if you have any idea of what has happened and when it will finally be released. I am of course talking about region 2. Thanks for your help in this matter.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: VERONICA LAKE - I MARRIED A WITCH Reply with quote

I don't know what Universal's plans are for a DVD of the 1942 Rene Clair film. But I can tell you that it is currently available in the USA on VHS
( NTSC). It may also be that Universal (USA) will include it at some point in their ongoing classics series.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I don't have any further information.

Good luck

Ken
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Veronica Lake - I Married A Witch Reply with quote

Hello Ken,
Thank you for your reply. I have the Video (have had for a long time) but did actually see a release date for the UK as June (past). But I do understand that these things happen although I don't know why. I shall just wait patiently, just as I have done for so many 1920s - 1950s films that I now either have or am still waiting for.

Peter
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Ginger and "The Thirteenth Guest." Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I did some checking and it seems that the 1932 Ginger Rogers film
"The Thirteenth Guest" is available on DVD in the U.S. ( Region 1,of course). It's listed as " a restored version" and costs around $20 - which is fairly expensive for such an early film. But this price may be due to its rarety and to the fact that it has been restored.

I must admit I haven't seen it, but judging by the comments I've picked up about it, I think it might be worth investing in.

So there's info. I hope it helps.

Best
Ken
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Ginger and "The Thirteenth Guest Reply with quote

Hello Ken,
Yes I have come across that on the net somewhere. It appears that I will have to forget my 'only region 2' thing if I'm to get it, as I doubt if the opportunity to obtain it on region 2 will arise. There is also the factor of it being a restored version. Mind you, I did manage to get Ginger's 1933 film 'Shriek In The Night' on a 3 film DVD from Classic Entertainment but unrestored unfortunately. Must say that it is better than nothing though.
Thank you for your help in this Ken. I look forward to many more years of your work and of course this great web site.

Peter
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Ginger and "The Thirteenth Guest Reply with quote

Hello Mark,
That was a great help and I have taken a quick look at that site and will look more closely later. The 3.1 GB I'll give a mis though as I only have a 3 GB allowance per month Very Happy but I will watch it there and end up buying it later. Strange thing too as I did go there and search for it a month or so ago but got nothing.
I actually only paid 99p for the 3 film DVD from Classic Entertainment that had 'Shriek In The Night ' on it. So cheap it is criminal and I actually still liked the film. Why? Because of Ginger obviously but also because of the content and atmosphere I get from these films. As for the acting, well, who cares it was still good entertainment. If they don't make you smile, they make you laugh as they are sometimes so corny.
Anyway, you have been very helpful Mark so thank you very much.

Peter
M. Furness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Warner's KING KONG DVD Reply with quote

Congratulations on a wonderful website. I have just purchased Warner Brothers new King Kong Collector's Edition 2-disc DVD and I would recommend it to anyone who loves classic movies.

It comes in a unique tin box containing an inner box with the two discs plus a whole load of vintage memorabilia on the original movie.

The film is on disc one and if the audio commentary by Ray Harryhausen and others is a bit lacklustre and short of real inside detailsm the movie itself looks and sounds fine for a production that is now over 70 years old.

If it's extras you're after, disc two is loaded with them. An excellent documentary on the life and career of the film's producer, Merien C. Cooper - a wonderful character rightly described as " a real life Indiana Jones" ( no idle claim ) and a really extensive "Making of.." documentary that more than makes up for the rather tiresome audio commentary on disc one. It's a fabulous release and a great curtain raiser for the new
and eagerly anticipated Peter Jackson remake.

You can safely and wisely ignore the pale Universal U.K. release that completely ignores the interest of the dedicated film buff. It's hooray for Warner Brothers. Go for it.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: KING KONG COLLECTOR'S EDITION Reply with quote

Dear M. Fuurness,

Yes, I agree with you re. Warner's new DVD of the original 1933 KING KONG. It is an excellent release. I also agree that the auio commentary doesn't deliver as much as it promises, but disc 2 delivers far more than expected. Apart from Kevin Brownlow's enjoyable documentary on Merian C. Cooper ( narrated by Alec Baldwin with a fine score by Carl Davis ), the Making of documentary - which runs for almost 2 hours and 40 minutes - contains a wonderful sequence where Peter Jackson and his production team re-create (from the original shooting script) the missing "Spider Pit" sequence. This has been done so well that I think it should be inserted into the original film. But, then again, Mr. Jackson and his enthusiastic colleagues have too much respect for the original and were only doing it out of love for the groundbreaking special effects and techniques of 1932. It's a joy to see these young film makers of today paying homage to Willis O'Brien, Cooper and Schoedsack and all who made the original classic film.

To come back to the audio commentary, it's too bad that Warners couldn't have done a deal with Criterion who, back in 1985, issued KING KONG on laserdisc and produced the first-ever audio commentary by the late Ron Haver. Mr. Haver knew and worked with Merian C. Cooper and his commentary reflects this in dazzling detail with so many behind-the-scenes stories that I do feel chated when I listen to the current DVD.

But, having said that, I would still urge everyone to invest in this new
release. It's terrific.
Kevin Craig

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: King Kong DVD Reply with quote

Hooray for Warners indeed. The new Collector's Edition of KING KONG (1933 ) is a near-perfect DVD and I agree with both M. Furness and Ken Barnes that this is worthy of a place in any collection. But it should be mentioned that this new release is a limited edition. If you want to buy it in its classy and-oh-so-original tin cover, you'd better order it right away.
I hear that supplies are selling out fast. After they've gone, you'll have to settle for the more conventional cover. So go for it.
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: I married A Witch Reply with quote

Hello Mark,
Yes I saw the release date a while back, unfortunately it seems that it's going to be a poor one. No extras and the print won't be up to scratch (no pun intended). This is a shame as I think it's a good family film and one of my favourites of Veronica's films. I'm hoping that this may be wrong though. Thanks for the info though Mark.
Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Odds and Sods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: