laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New "Road" box set ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: New "Road" box set ? Reply with quote

Is it true that that Universal are doing a new DVD box set of the "Road" pictures. This time with "Rio" and "Bali" ?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: New "Roads" box set Reply with quote

Yes, Jim. That is correct. The new box set will include "Rio" and "Bali."

Ken
Ron Patmore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: New "Roads" box Reply with quote

Dear Ken,

Will you be involved with this new set ? Will it contain any rare and interesting extras ?

R.P.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: New "Roads" box set. Reply with quote

At the moment, I'm not involved in it at all. But I shall contact Universal to offer my services. Of course, it may be too late. But let's see what happens.

Ken
Mark Hammond

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: New box set Reply with quote

What are Universal playing at ? Less than a year ago, I bought the 4-disc Road to box set - which Laureate produced so beautifully ( with terrific menus and great documentation ). Now, suddenly, they come up with another box set containing the same four movies plus the 1947 "Road to Rio" and the 1952 "Road To Bali." Why couldn't they have done this in the first place.

Since I've already added "Rio" and "Bali" to my collection, I can't see any point in buying them all over again. Universal can count me out on this one.
Phil Jellicoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Another box set so soon ? Reply with quote

Someone at Universal must be bonkers releasing a second box set of the "Roads" so soon after the first one. Like Mark Hammond and many other collectors, I already own the first box set and I've added "Rio" and Bali" to my collection. Do Universal really expect us to dig into our pockets again just to get these six movies in one place. ? This must be as confusing for the dealers as it is for the consumer.

I suppose next year they'll do a deal with United Artists and release another box that will include "Road To Hong Kong."
D. Prossor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: The Complete ? Road colection ? Reply with quote

I've just noticed the press story in July's edition of CUE (page 2Cool announcing the new box set of the Road pictures. It's described as
" The Complete ROAD TO Boxset." Not true. It doesn't contain "Hong Kong." But then maybe Universal don't know that the last in the series was made in 1962 for United Artists.

It seems to me that there's a hell of a lot that Universal don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: The Road pictures Reply with quote

I might be interested in buying the newly announced "Road" box set if it's as well documented as the previous one produced by Laureate's Ken Barnes. But I would expect to get more extras this time. If all that Universal are offering is "Rio" and "Bali" then they can count me out.
Carl Brenner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: On the Road again Reply with quote

I agree that Universal releasing another box set of the Road pictures so soon after the first is more than crass. But if it presents decent prints of "io" and "Bali" AND some classy extras, then I will invest.
W.R

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: New Roads box set Reply with quote

I just bought the 4-disc box set of the Road pictures and I'm really pleased with it. The movies are great, the packaging and presentation are first class. Now, how do you suppose I feel to learn that Universal are doing another box set of the same four pictures with the addition of "Rio" ( the best of the bunch ) and "Bali" ( the only one in technicolor).
Both of which I have bought separately ? I'll tell you. It feels lousy.

Universal should be ashamed to treat collectors in this way.
Keith Melton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: The Road films and special editions. Reply with quote

I am 19 years old and the " Roads " are among my favourite films. I will certainly add the new box set to my collection if it comes with extras.

My interest in classic films may be due to my parents - who are big fans of Bing Crosby,Frank Sinatra and Hollywood's golden age ( which includes Bogart, Cagney, Cooper, Wayne and the great musicals ). But I also have several friends of my own age who are into collecting the classics - especially when they have interesting extras. The Laureate DVDs are largely responsible for this. Please keep up the good work
G.M.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: The long and winding roads Reply with quote

Why have Universal suddenly decided to hit us with another box set of the Road pictures. Why couldn't they have issued all six of the Paramount "Roads" in the first place ?

It really is frustrating to have spent out good money on the first - and very well-produced - box set and then to find that Universal are now going for a second bite of the cherry by simply adding "Rio" and "Bali."

Universal are almost as bad as Fox in the way they have marketed Marilyn Monroe by repeatedly marketing the same titles again and again in different box sets. Well, I didn't buy any more Marilyn after the excellent Diamond Collection and I won't be buying this new Roads set.
Why should I when I have "Rio" and "Bali" as separate DVDs from the USA ?

The only problem is, the DVDs of these two films are in such poor quality.
What is a serious collector to do ?
L. Pauncefort

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: The new Roads box Reply with quote

I am a fairly regular visitor to the Laureate website and have always found it to be one of the most stimulating sources for inforomation on classic movies. I'm glad I checked in today because if I hadn't I wouldn't have known about Universal's new collection of the famous "Road" pictures. As it happens, I was about to invest in the earlier box set - which was highly recommended to me. Now, I'll wait and get the new one when it's released. I just hope it comes with the kind of extras we've come to expect from Laureate.
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The new Roads box Reply with quote

L. Pauncefort wrote:
Now, I'll wait and get the new one when it's released. I just hope it comes with the kind of extras we've come to expect from Laureate.

Highly unlikely; and it has an RRP of £59.99 which is a little steep IMHO.
L. Pauncefort

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: A Road too far Reply with quote

My thanks to mgcroadster for the pricing info. on Universal's new Roads box set. £60 AND NO EXTRAS ! That settles it, I'm buying the 4-disc pack and I'm ordering "Road To Bali" from Brentwood in the States which, I know, ios the best version on the market. As for "Rio," I'll do some international investigating. Somewhere, some time there MUST be a good version of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Road Films All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: