laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marilyn Monroe LADIES OF THE CHORUS (1948) on DVD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Marilyn Monroe LADIES OF THE CHORUS (1948) on DVD Reply with quote

I've just noticed that this early Marilyn film has been realeased to dvd in the UK only:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007Q6ROU/qid=1118336097/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-4970670-1187611

The label is "UCA Catalogue". Is this a public domain dvd ? The cover presents this issue as "Columbia Classics". I've never seen the film. Is it any good, what's the music and Marilyns singing like ?
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Marilyn Monroe LADIES OF THE CHORUS (1948) on DVD Reply with quote

Christoph Nestel wrote:
I've just noticed that this early Marilyn film has been realeased to dvd in the UK only:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007Q6ROU/qid=1118336097/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-4970670-1187611

The label is "UCA Catalogue". Is this a public domain dvd ? The cover presents this issue as "Columbia Classics". I've never seen the film. Is it any good, what's the music and Marilyns singing like ?

Never seen the film so I can't comment, but UCA stands for the 'Universal / Columbia Alliance'; you'll find alot of excellent 'Columbia Screen Classics' under that label and great value for money they are too; usually around £4.99 at www.sendit.com.
B.Linden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: The Fleet's In Reply with quote

I wonder why there is no DVD on the 1941 musical "The Fleet's In." With its fine score by Johnny Mercer and Victor Schertzinger ( brimming with hits like "I Remember You," "Tangerine," "Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing In A Hurry" ) and its attractive cast ( Dorothy Lamour, William Holden and Betty Hutton - not to mention the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra with Helen O'Connell and Bob Eberly ), this would quickly find a place in many collections.

I do remember it was a Paramount picture - which means that it is now owned by Universal.
Ron Patmore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: The Fleet's In - Here Come The Waves too Reply with quote

I agree with B. Linden about "The Fleet's In" This was always a very popular film. In fact virtually the same script was used on two further occasions by Paramount - in 1952 as "Sailor Beware" ( for Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis) and in 1960 as a "G.I. Blues ( an Elvis Presley vehicle enlivened by the presence of Juliet Prowse). Neither version improved on "Fleet." But while we're talking nautical, how about a DVD of "Here Come The Waves" ? This neglected Bing Crosby film co-starring Betty Hutton ( in a dual role as twin sisters ) also boasted a fine score by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer which included the brilliant "Accentuate The Positive." It's also interesting to see Bing as a "swooner crooner" sending up the Sinatra craze with an impassioned version of "That Old Black Magic." Come to think of it, "Fleet" and "Waves" would make a great double DVD release. Is anyone at Universal listening ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Musicals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: