laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

two new Bing DVDs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: two new Bing DVDs Reply with quote

Just wondered Ken if you knew (or had anything to do with) these two new DVD's identified on Play.com

First an issue of Going My Way

and second

Bing Crosby: The Still Of The Night (With bonus Music CD)
Due for release on 25/04/2005

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=dvdbyactor&r=R2&title=570660&actor=85081
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: New DVDs of Bing Reply with quote

No, I didn't have anything to do with these new releases. Although I had suggested two years ago to Universal that they do a series of Oscar winners. "Going My Way" could well be the result of that suggestion. But I did not do the production.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a risk with this disc today and was rewarded. Universal have done a good job - nice clean print and in a fine outer box stating Academy Award Winners. Shame you couldn't have don it Ken as I'm sure you could have done an even better job, but at least it's nice to see it out in such a good form.
Rego

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paramount have just released the dvd of Anything Goes in the states. I don't know if they will be releaseing it in the uk at some later stage
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Anything Goes Reply with quote

Yes, the 1956 version has just been released in the USA. But while it offers a very good picture and audio quality ( Vistavision,Technicolor and Dolby 5.1 sound ), it isn't nearly as good as the 1936 version ( in which Bing also starred ). I hope Universal will have the good sense to release this as a follow-up.
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: 1936 vs 1956 Reply with quote

..one can only hope Ken... Cool
NORTHWEST

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have just bought the 1956 Region 1 version of Anything Goes. I had not seen the film in years until a pan and scan showing on Sky earlier this year.
As far as I can recall I have never seen the 1936 version. Whilst the majority of Paramount titles between 1929 and 1948 are owned by Universal, I did wonder whether the 1936 version may have retained by Paramount, as at the time of their library sale they would either have just produced or be in production of the remake. That alone suggests that they might want to keep the original. Anyone know for sure?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: ANYTHING GOES - 1936 version Reply with quote

Dear Northwest,

As far as I'm aware, the 1936 version still belongs to Universal. As I understand it, a full length unedited version of the film ( and in good condition ) was screened in July at the Lincoln Center in New York as part of a six-day festival of Bing Crosby film's. This, I believe, was furnished by Universal. So we can only hope that they release it soon on DVD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken.
Let's hope we do see the original Anything Goes soon from Universal.
I think Universal is doing a reasonable job in releasing their archive material, I just wish they wouldn't use the double sided discs anymore (maybe a region 1 only thing??????). I have had so many faulty discs from Abbott and Costello to Alfred Hitchcock Presents that it is becoming very frustrating!

Nick Eden
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Universal's two sided discs Reply with quote

Thanks, Nick, for your remarks about Universal in the USA. Their policy of two-sided discs, I think, is purely an economic one. It has resulted in some pretty good Crosby double features that have certainly been welcomed by the fans. The Abbott & Costello editions are even more economically devised offering no less than EIGHT films in each two-disc pack. I must admit I'm not a great fan of A & C but I do have a couple of these volumes in my collection and the quality is really very good.

If you've encountered any problems with playback, it may be due to the amount of compression on these well-stocked discs. Giving the discs a wipe - going from the centre of the disc to the outer edge in a series of straight lines ( DO NOT REVOLVE the cloth ). An even better idea would be to buy a dedicated disc cleaning device that is good for both DVDs and CDs. You might find that this will solve your problems very effectively.

Universal (UK) have not gone in for such highly-compressed discs, probably because this system would not work in PAL where the bandwidth is so much greater.
S.W.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: HOLIDAY INN Reply with quote

It's interesting to note that there are more Bing Crosby movies on DVD than Frank Sinatra in the U.S.A. This makes me wonder why Universal (Los Angeles ) have not issued the superb Laureate presentation of "Holiday Inn" produced for Universal U.K. Not only does it offer a superior picture and audio, it's absolutely loaded with the kind of extras one normally expects from Criterion and Warner Brothers ( U.S.A.)
Neil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a recent trip to Los Angeles I picked up a copy of Anything Goes. Haven't seen this film before so I'm looking forward to watching when I finally get around to it. Just whizzing through it - it looks a good print, very clear and sharp.

Unfortunately I tried to purchase it from PlayUSA.com and they wouldn't despatch it to the UK. I got the following message at checkout.

Music DVDs have been automatically removed from your order. We are sorry, but we cannot supply Music DVDs if your delivery address is within the UK.

How very strange!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Anything Goes and all Region 1 DVDs Reply with quote

Hi Neil,

In future, if you want to order Region 1 DVDs ( Films or Music or anything ), I would suggest you try www.store4DVD.com They offer a good service on all Region 1 product and usually with a 5 to 7 day turnaround.

Best
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken. Much appreciated.
Paul Chalmers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Congratulations Reply with quote

I've just been adding some favourite films to my DVD collection starting with Holiday Inn, It's A Wonderful Life, Citizen Kane and the Fred and Ginger box set. I soon realised that three out of these four classics were produced by Ken Barnes of the Laureate company.

So I looked you up on the internet and found this fabulous website and all sorts of information that is helpful to a movie buff. You can bet I'll be a regular visitor from now.

Congratulations on turning out some fabulous DVDs loaded with info and great extras. Keep up the good work and good luck for 2006.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: