laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swashbucklers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: THE PRISONER OF ZENDA Reply with quote

Dear Tom,
Due to pressure of work, this has taken me quite a while to get around to.

I don't know why I left out "Zenda" in my list of great swashbucklers because it's certainly a long time favourite of mine. Naturally, it's the 1937 version with Ronald Colman, Madeleine Carroll and Doug. Fairbanks,Jr. that takes the prize - although I do have a certain liking for the 1952 Technicolor remake with Stewart Granger, Deborah Kerr and James Mason.

Back in the late '80s, I was actually invited to Stewart Granger's home for dinner. He was an excellent cook but also a somewhat arrogant host. In spite of this latter quality, I liked him. Like myself, he felt his best film was "Scaramouche." Then he spoke of "Zenda" and told me that it was shot in just 28 days. They used " the exact same script as the 1937 version with every line and every camera angle repeated." I smiled and said "Well, almost." He glared at me and said "What do you mean - almost ?"

I told him that there were a few lines of dialogue that had been altered and some of the camera angles were different. "Nonsense," he growled.
"We had a movieola on the set and we duplicated every angle precisely."

"No, not precisely." I said and proceeded to tell him where the script and the shooting differed. I also pointed out that MGM had used the original Alfred Newman score - but NOT precisely. It had been adapted quite beautifully by Conrad Salinger and performed top perfection by the MGM Studio Orchestra.

"And which version do you prefer?" snapped Granger. Again, I had to be truthful and replied "The 1937 version."

After all his anger, Granger - or "Jimmy" as he liked to be called - nodded and sighed "Yes, you're right. It is the better of the two. I may not be as good as Ronnie Colman but I can fight better."

Granger was right. The sabre duel in the 1952 version is a far better and more spectacular piece of staging than its predecessor. But the casting, in every case, was vastly superior in the earlier version. Carroll was more sensitive than Kerr as the Princess Flavia, Fairbanks was dashing and villainously superior to Mason. All the supporting cast was better. In the role of Colonel Zapt, C. Aubrey Smith carried more authority than Louis Calhern, Mary Astor was better than Jane Greer and David Niven outshone Robert Coote. And as Black Michael, Raymond Massey easily surpassed Robert Douglas.

Colman is a wonderful hero but,unfortunately, as a swordsman, he was hardly in Granger's class. MGM had considered Errol Flynn for the remake but Flynn turned it down along with "Ivanhoe" ( which was also offered to him ) in favour doing "Kim" in India. ( Errol loved to travel ).

Now, let's talk about the duel in the 1952 version. This is a terrific piece of action and is one of the screen's great swordfights. It was actually shot twice. First by a seond unit using doubles for the leads ( Saul Gorss doubling for Granger and Jean Herremans for Mason.) Then it was shot a second time with Granger fighting both Mason ( in the close shots only ) and Herremans. All the footage was later edited together to produce a most satisfying swordfight. Granger actually sustained a sword injury in the mouth during the sequence.

In the early '90s - before advent of DVD - MGM issued an excellent double feature laser disc combining both versions. It reamins one of my most cherished possessions on laser.

I believe the 1952 version is currently on DVD in the U.S. - but no sign yet of the superior 1937 film. Here's hoping it won't be long before Warners do the decent thing and release them together as a Special Edition.

Herremans.
Tom Heyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Prisoner of Zenda - Errol Flynn Reply with quote

Thanks Ken for your detailed and very interesting comments of "Zenda."

I have just received my copy of "The Errol Flynn Signature Collection."
In my opinion, it's one of the best box sets ever issued. I'd like to hear
your opinion of this.

Tom
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fascinating stuff Ken. Unfortunately, neither the 1937 nor the 1952 versions of The Prisoner of Zenda are available on DVD yet in either R1 or R2.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: FLYNN and "ZENDA." Reply with quote

I can only agree with Tom Heyman that the Errol Flynn Signature Collection is a brilliant box set. Previous VHS and laserdisc versions of "Captain Blood" and,particularly, "The Sea Hawk" never looked as good as these versions. With the new feature length documentary - "The Adventures of Errol Flynn"- this set makes the perfect introduction to
the films of Errol Flynn.

Do I have any criticisms ? Yes, a couple of minor ones - but these are purely subjective. I would have preferred "Charge of the Light Brigade" to "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex." While the latter is a handsome technicolor production with a great cast and a fine score by Korngold, the script - adapted from a Maxwell Anderson play - is just too talk-laden for my taste.

"Dodge City," I suppose, is necessary because it was Flynn's first venture into the Western genre. Again, this is a beautifully shot Technicolor production full of terrific Michael Curtiz images and action set-pieces. But it suffers from a weak, ponderous script and appalling continuity. Opening in Kansas in 1866, Flynn and his buddies(Alan Hale and Guinn Williams ) catch bad guy Bruce Cabot and send him and his gang off to the pen. Fast forward to 1872 and we find Errol and his pals - not a day older and wearing exactly the same clothes - driving a herd of cattle and leading a wagon train to Dodge City. By now, Cabot and his cronies are free and running the town. They kill an honest cattleman and then attend his funeral. The date on the grave reads 1875. Later when Errol takes over the job of sheriff, he issues a notice and the year is 1872. Somebody in the production team wasn't paying attention.

Having said that, "Dodge City" is a joy to look at and not to be taken too seriously. This is not an authentic study of the west, it's a cheery and entertaining vehicle for Errol Flynn's fans and he certainly can ride a horse as well as any of the acknowledged western stars ( if not better ).
But, given the choice, I would have preferred "Virginia City" - made the following year. This also attracted its share of criticism but, in my opinion, is a vastly superior western. However, this DVD of "Dodge City" carries some knockout extras.

These are just some thoughts I have had since playing through the whole set. Actually, it's tremendously enjoyable and I'm pleased to note that it figures currently at # 10 in the Amazon.com sales rank. I know that Warners in L.A. are tremendously pleased with its performance. Let's hope it gets a U.K. release soon.

In regard to "The Prisoner of Zenda," Warners actually hold the rights to both the 1937 and '52 versions - and since they've already released the 1952 versions of "Scaramouche" and "Ivanhoe," they may well get around to "Zenda" - particularly since the Flynn collection is doing so well
and flying the flag for the classic swashbucklers.

Tom Heyman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Flynn Collection Reply with quote

Thanks Ken. I agree with you about "Dodge City" but I'm still pleased to see it in the Flynn collection. Also I wish Warners had thought twice about including "Elizabeth and Essex." However, these are small criticisms considering the massive appeal of this set and - who knows? - its current popularity may well result in a second box set. Then we Flynn fans could embellish our collections still further.
T. Craighill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Errol Flynn Signature Collection Reply with quote

Despite Ken's criticism of "Dodge City," there's something about this western that I find irresistible. I think it throughly deserves its place in the Errol Flynn Signature Collection which is one of the greatest box sets ever produced and I accept it without a single reservation. Just when I was beginning to think that Errol Flynn was being completely ignored by the DVD industry things are suddenly looking up. Last year I bought the wonderful 2-disc edition of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and now along comes this fabulous box set. So why complain ?
R. Pether

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: The Errol Flynn Collection Reply with quote

What a knockout this set is. From "Captain Blood" to "They Died With Their Boots On" one can trace the development of Errol Flynn as one of Hollywood's greatest and most likeable stars. "The Sea Hawk" - which has never looked better than it does on this newly mastered DVD - represents the high spot of the set and - along with "Robin Hood" - of Flynn's career. Sure I agree that "Dodge City" may not be the most subtle Western ever made but it is certainly one of the most enjoyable.

This is easily one of the best box sets ever. I urge anyone who likes good, well-made action adventures to buy this without hesitation. Its success in the USA must surely merit a second Flynn collection.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: ERROL FLYNN BOX SET Reply with quote

How could I not agree that this is a superb box set ? But, like one or two others who have written in praising this set, I think "Elizabeth and Essex"
would have sat better in a Bette Davis set. Of Flynn's Westerns, I would have preferred "Virginia City" over "Dodge City" or the much-underrated "Silver River." This engrossing film, heaviliy criticised at the time of its release and castigated in "The Films of Errol Flynn" holds up far better than I expected when I saw it recently. Undoubtedly, it presents one of Flynn's best performances as an actor. His scenes with Thomas Mitchell are a particular joy. Let's have this, along with "Dawn Patrol", in a second Flynn box set. Plus Errol's other film with Ann Sheridan "Edge of Darkness."
Peter Levington

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Flynn's Westerns Reply with quote

I was interested in Ken Barnes's assessment of "Silver River." It's always mystified me that this film has been so criticised over the years. In actual fact, it's an extremely well-produced film with a good story and an excellent cast. As for Errol Flynn, this is easily one of his best performances. OK, so it may not be as action-packed as his other Westerns but in many ways it's a lot more interesting.

I also agree that "Virginioa City" is better than "Dodge City." My only complaint is the casting ( or miscasting) of Miriam Hopkins in the role of a Southern spyt posing as a dance hall singer. Perhaps Olivia de Havilland would have been little better. The ideal choice would have been Ann Sheridan. For one thing, she was a genuine Southerner ( hailing from Texas ) and for another, she could carry a tune ( as she proved in "Dodge City" ). Despite it's faults, "Virginia City" is a fine rip-roaring Western and I don't even mind Humphrey Bogart as a Mexican bandit. He certainly knew how to pour on the villainy. So maybe Warners would be well advised to include these two under-rated films in a second Flynn box set.
Jim Waterson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: More Flynn please Reply with quote

Like many others, I was pleased to get the Errol Flynn Signature Collection from Warner Brothers. I understand it's been a great success in the States although there is no sign of it yet over here in the U.K.

Perhaps Warners would consider a second volume of Flynn with the following titles:-

Charge of the Light Brigade (1936), Dawn Patrol (1938), Virginia City (1940), Edge of Darkness(1943), Silver River (1947) The Adventures of Don Juan(1948)

Here's hoping.
Kevin Craig

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Scaramouche Reply with quote

I've been reading with interest all the comments about swashbucklers on this website. I recently bought - on region one - the Warner Brothers DVD of "Scaramouche." This 1952 picture starring Stewart Granger is certainly one of the best swashbucklers ever made. As hero and villain Granger and Mel Ferrer are just as effective as Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone. For anyone who likes this particular genre, I would heartily recommend this DVD. I hope it won't be long before we get Granger's other 1952 offering "The Prisoner of Zenda" which I remember seeing on TV a few years ago and enjoyed - although I'm told the 1937 version with Ronald Colman is much better.
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: A few missed ones Reply with quote

Hello to Ken and everyone here,
I know I'm a bit late here but due to being so busy, I don't get a chance to come here that much.
Anyway, I was surprised that the following (as examples) were missed. That is unless you were not including the 1920s

Robin Hood (1922)
The Thief Of Bagdad (1924)
The Black Pirate (1926)

There are of course all Douglas Fairbanks films, a gentleman and a hero both on and off the screen. Take a look at the stunts he did (not stuntmen). He didn't just act it, he DID it.
Just thought that such a colourful character shouldn't be left out.

Peter
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: The great Fairbanks Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

You're absolutely right. We shouldn't have missed Douglas Fairbanks,Sr.
His 1920 version of "The Mark of Zorro" was, in fact, the first swashbuckler, the film that started the whole genre.

How come we overlooked him ? I think it was probably due to the fact that we were discussing the sound era from Flynn onwards.

As it happens, I do have a whole bunch of Fairbanks swashbucklers on VHS. However, I will take issue with you that Doug did ALL his own stunts. He did MOST of them but NOT ALL. This has been proved via certain sources, the most signiificant being Kevin Brownlow's wonderful
13-part series HOLLYWOOD ( which is long overdue for DVD release ).

But Doug was a great star and I do apologise for the oversight.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Find something Reply with quote

Chris Macey wrote:
Firstly, it's good to see a forum on the Laureate website devoted to swashbucklers.

I think you should find something better to do with you time...
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Swashbucklers Reply with quote

Look who's talking !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Swashbucklers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: