laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DADDY LONG LEGS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G.Ballard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs & Barkleys Reply with quote

I agree with C.B. that Warner's "The Barkleys of Broadway" DVD looks pretty dull and dark. I'm sure I've seen it look better on TV. On the other hand, Fox's "Daddy Long Legs" offers a wonderfully bright and lively picture with great sound. This, plus the Ava Astaire/Ken Barnes commentary makes it one of the best DVDs of the year.
C.O.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

It's a pity that Fred Astaire didn't do more musicals for Fox. It would have been nice to have a follow-up DVD of the quality of "Daddy Long Legs."

As for Warners and their dull-looking "Barkleys of Broadway," I've just compared it with the MGM laserdisc of a few years back - and the laser is certainly brighter. No compaints though about "Easter Parade" or "The Band Wagon." These are of superb quality.
L.Cameron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: The Best and the Worst Reply with quote

I have never seen "Daddy Long Legs" look so wonderful. The previous versions shown on TV and VHS gave the Color by De-Luxe system a bad name. For this reason, I was hesitant about buying it. But this new DVD is a revelation - a pin sharp picture, beautiful rich colours and a reasonably resonant soundtrack in 4.1 ( although I would liked to have heard it mastered in 5.1 ). Congratulations to Fox

Universal, on the other hand, have turned out a really rotten volume two of "Fred and Ginger" - which isn't a patch on the superb first box set produced by Ken Barnes. Not only are the films poorly mastered and with lousy chaptering, there are none of the enticing extras that made the first box so memorable and essential for collectors. Shame on Universal.
It's the region one Warners series for me.
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox is going to release an R2 of Daddy Long Legs in the UK come August.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: DADDY LONG LEGS Reply with quote

That's right. And I believe Ava will be in London around that time and says she'll be happy to help promote it.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddy Long Legs has now been released in Germany on Blu-ray. I'll wait a few weeks to see if it receives a U. K. release. If not, I'll buy the German disc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: