laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DADDY LONG LEGS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the TV specials will ever be released on DVD? (Eg An Evening with FA) I don't think they have been so far? I assume they still exist in some form?

I got round to finish watching Box 1 of the Warner's set. Great stuff, though in some respects I still like the Laureate version, which won't be goign in the bin or to Oxfam. The intros by Ava are still better than most of the new documentaries - though there are some interesting bits of course. I'm especially not keen on people speculating on the Astaire-Rogers dancing just because they've played the same roles in versions of Top Hat/Swing Time on Broadway, though maybe I'm too critical. I don't think they really come up to the standard of the Musicals Great Musicals doc on the Singin' in the Rain Spec Ed, which I find i can watch over and over.

Can't wait for Daddy L L!

Dominic
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Warner's Fred & Ginger Reply with quote

Thanks, Dominic, for your comments. The Warner set is worth having but their approach was different from ours. I wanted to get specific insights into each film and cover aspects that had not been touched on and Ava was the perfect person to reflect them. It's too bad that Universal didn't think highly enough of the concept to take it to its natural conclusion.
But, of course, it would not have been complete because they don't own
"Roberta" or "Barkeleys of Broadway." Also there are no executives in Universal who share the enthusiasm of Warner's George Feltenstein.

I had lunch with George at Warners and he told me that the second box of Fred and Ginger will be released in the U.S. in August,2006. Exactly 12 months after volume one. He also told me they are working on a box set of the Busby Berkeley Musicals which should be a real winner with all the vintage musicals collectors.
Celia Hall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

It's wonderful to see that Fox are finally releasing Fred's 1955 hit "Daddy Long Legs" in February on Region 1. I see itt includes an audio commentary with Ken Barnes and Fred's daughter, Ava plus a few other extras.

Will there be a Region 2 release ?
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

News of Daddy Long Legs here:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59390
Celia Hall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

Dear Ken Barnes

I've just finished watching the new DVD of Daddy Long Legs. It's an absolute joy. Your audio commentary with Ava is loaded with great stories and it's so nice to hear that archive interview with Johnny Mercer.

Of all Fred's latter day musicals, I think this is my favourite.
Apart from his great dancing, I don't think Fred ever looked more attractive in any film at any time in his career. Leslie Caron is perfectly cast for this particular role and makes a wonderful dance partner. The picture quality is first rate and so is the sound.

I know it's taken a long time for this to reach DVD but I want to thank you and everyone involved for bringing it to the market. I'm sure it will be a winner.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: DADDY LONG LEGS Reply with quote

Thanks, Celia, for your enthusiastic comments. The DVD seems to have found favour with a lot of people and, apart from the fact that both Ava and I were suffering flu and laryngitis at the time, the audio commentary hasn't come out too badly. I'm just glad I was able to use the Johnny Mercer stuff to break up the proceedings and make it more varied.

Best wishes
Ken
Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with Celia, this is a great DVD. Daddy Long Legs has never looked so good, and it's such a relief to finally see the whole picture, Cinemascope and all, without it being hacked up for pan and scan. The commentary came off as very well researched and informative, and the premeire footage was also an added bonus. Thanks to you, Mr. Barnes, and the people at Fox. It's the best DVD I've bought since Holiday Inn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
L.Brand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

I can only concur with Ryan and Celia and all the others who have praised the new DVD of Daddy Long Legs. It's a winner from every standpoint - picture,sound, presentation and packaging. Once again, Ken Barnes has delivered a terrific audio commentary - in company with the redoubtable Ava Astaire Mackenzie and the wonderful archive comments from the great Johnny Mercer.

It's a great kick-off for Fox's new series Marquee Musicals. Now let's have some more of this standard. Good work, Ken & Fox.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

I can't say enough good things about the DVD "Daddy Long Legs." Like every audio commentary he's involved, Ken Barnes always finds a way to give us information that no one else can. This one is exceptional. To get first hand reports from Ava Astaire and Johnny Mercer plus Ken's great knowledge and experience makes this an outstanding DVD. As for the film, it has never looked or sounded better. I( Fox keep hiring Ken Barnes, they'll soon be overtaking Warners in the Special Features dept.
I still think his box set of Fred & Ginger for Universal is better than Warners and so is his DVD presentation of "Citizen Kane."

Keep up the good work.
Jon Clements

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs and what next ? Reply with quote

Bravo Fox and Bravo Ken Barnes. Daddy Long Legs is a winner. Now, how about "Sun Valley Serenade" - with some of Ken's celebrated extras - and
"The Black Swan" with a Maureen O' Hara interview and/or audio commentary ?
L.S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

I've been enjoying "Daddy Long Legs" for the past week. I've played iit three times already and I must say the audio commentary by Ava Astaire and Ken Barnes is one of the most refreshingly unpretentious and informative I have ever heard. Ava gives us insights into the making of the film and her father's feelings at the time while Ken brings not only his knowledge of film history but also his own stories of working with Fred Astaire and Johnny Mercer. It's a gem of a DVD and one that I recommend to everyone who loves the Hollywood musical.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: DADDY LONG LEGS - reactions Reply with quote

My grateful thanks to Celia Hall, Ryan, L.S. and all the other guests and well-wishers for the enthusiastic response to "Daddy Long Legs." Both Ava and I are glad that you liked the audio commentary and I can only echo what you all said about the film's transfer. Fox have done an exceptional job in giving us the finest rendering of the film yet seen.

I'll pass your comments on to the people at Fox.
L.Markham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

I feel I should add my praise to all the others who have complemented the new DVD release of "Daddy Long Legs." It's notable for numerous strong points - picture,sound, audio commentary,the Los Angeles and London premieres, packaging,etc. And since Ken Barnes, in his varied career, has also encountered the likes of Frank Sinatra and Dick Haymes,wouldn't it be a good idea for him to lend his experience and knowledge to such other Marquee Musicals as "Can Can" ( Sinatra) and "Diamond Horseshoe" ( Haymes & Betty Grable). In fact, the latter would be particularly appropriate later this year when a new biography of Dick Haymes is due for publication.

Go for it, Ken
T.L.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Marquee Musicals Reply with quote

I agree that "Daddy Long Legs" is a fine DVD and if it isn't as good a film as Fred's previous picture "The Band Wagon," I think his dancing in D.L.L. is better than in any of his other latter day pictures with the possible exception of "Funny Face."

While "Daddy Long Legs" ( which was one of Fred's personal favourites of his own films ) makes a good starter for Fox's Marquee Musicals series, the other two "Weekend in Havan" and,especially "Pin Up Girl" ( Betty Grable's worst film ) are dismal choices. Betty is much better in "Diamond Horseshoe" ( partnered by the great and unjustly negelected,Dick Haymes ) and "Mother Wore Tights" ( a superior backstage musical with the always watchable Dan Dailey ).

Come on Fox, let's see someof the more worthwhile musicals in your vaults.
C.B.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs vs. Barkleys of Broadway Reply with quote

Like everyone else, I think "Daddy Long Legs" is a great DVD. Naturally, like any self-respecting Astaire fan I bought the Warner Astaire-Rogers collection and was surprised at the difference in picture quality between D.L.L. and "The Barkleys of Broadway" which struck me as being hideously dark and under lit. In D.L.L. - which was made six years later - Fred is not only better photographed but actually looks younger.

This is strange because MGM usually photographed their technicolor musicals with flair and style. "Barkleys" is positively dull to look at. Is this MGM or is it Warners ? "Easter Parade" and "The Band Wagon", on the other hand, look wonderful. Does anyone agree with me ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: