laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DADDY LONG LEGS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L.S.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

Good to know that "Daddy Long Legs" will have an audio commentary from Ava Astaire McKenzie and Ken Barnes. Ava always talks so well about her father and Ken knows more about movies than anyone else involved in DVDs today.

Will this be a two-disc edition with other features ?
Ron Patmore

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

The way things look with Warners now doing all the Fred and Ginger films as well as his MGM output and now with Fox pithing in with Daddy Long Legs, we should soon have all of Fred Astaire's films on DVD.

Apart from the good news that Fred's daughter Ava and Ken Barnes are doping an audio commentary, I look forward to seeing what other extras this long overdue DVD will hold.
A.J.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

Good to see that "Daddy Long Legs" is at last coming to DVD - and good to see Ken Barnes and Ava Astaire connected with it.

Any news on a release date ? Will it be this year ?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

Thanks to Celia Hall, Ron Patmore, L.S. and the many others who have contacted me by e-mail to say how pleased they are that "Daddy Long Legs " is finally coming to DVD.

The people at Fox in L.A. have been most co-operative. I'm pleased to say that Ava Astaiure McKenzie was very forthcoming in the audio commentary with some stories about her father and the film that I'd never heard before. I have also included some excerpts from an interview I did with Johnny Mercer in the mid-1970s that I'm sure everyone will find interesting. Also Leslie Caron - who could not join us for the audio commentary - was gracious enough to contribute some personal written comments on working with Fred Astaire.

I think this DVD will be welcomed by all Astaire fans and lovers of the Hollywood musical. It will be released in it's original aspect ratio.
As soon as I get more information, I'll place it on the website.
L. Markham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs Reply with quote

Hooray for Fox, hooray for Laureate and hooray for Daddy Long Legs.

This DVD has been a long time coming. Apart from the film - which has always been one of my favourite Astaire films - it's good to know that Ava and Ken have done an audio commentary and to have comments from the great Johnny Mercer to boot, this really is something to look forward to. Thanks Ken.

By the way, I bought the recently re-issued Mercer CD-set on Sanctuary.
It's an absolute knockout. Keep up the gpod work.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: DADDY LONG LEGS etc. Reply with quote

To L. Markham, I can only say thanks on behalf of Ava, Fox Home Entertainment and myself.

I don't know when the DVD will be issued - but I hope it will be before the end of the year. I'm sure it will prove popular with the army of Astaire fans.

Thanks also for your remarks about the Johnny Mercer 2-CD set that was released recently. I'm very pleased at the way it turned out.

Sincerely
Ken Barnes
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this be a UK only release or a dvd to be sold all over Europe ? Which language tracks will be included besides the English track ?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: DADDY LONG LEGS DVD Reply with quote

Hi Christoph,
As of right now, "Daddy Long Legs" is set for an American release. However, I will ask the Los Angeles office what language tracks they will be using.

I'll come back on this as soon as I get an answer.

Ken
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken and all, I was very happy to read about the upcoming Daddy Long Legs DVD release. The "original aspect ratio" part is the most satisfying to me, I've always wanted to see that on a quality DVD. It will also be great to hear another feature length commentary with you and Mrs. McKenzie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: DADDY LONG LEGS Reply with quote

Thanks, Ryan for your support. I don't know exactl;y when Fox will be releasing this DVD. But as soon as I get the word, it'll be on the website.

Ken
P. Lanning

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs-DVD Reply with quote

Dear Ken Barnes,

On June 17th you said you didn't know when DDL would be released on DVD. When can you give us an update on this ? And will the release be on Region 1 only ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken (and all), according to a post at www.thedvdforums.com a flyer in the latest batch of R1 Fox Studio Classic apparently says that Daddy Long Legs will be released February 2006.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: DADDY LONG LEGS - Feb. 2006 Reply with quote

Dear Guest,

Thanks for this info. When I was in Los Angeles last month, the people at Fox indicated to me that the DVD would be released around February or March. It will be in wide screen and, as I understand it, 5.1. It will carry an audio commentary that I did with Ava Astaire McKenzie that also includes archive interview comments from the film's composer/lyricist, the late Johnny Mercer.

I think it should prove popular with all Fred Astaire fans.
Nick Eden

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much looking forward to this film next February. I would like to think that it wouldn't be too much longer before all of Astaire's film work is available on DVD (musical or otherwise).
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs - and the rest Reply with quote

Thanks, Nick for your supportive remarks.

By this time next year, all the Fred and Gingers will be on DVD. There are still a couple of other RKOs ( Damsel in Distress and The Sky's The Limit )
which I'm sure Warners will do at some point. Then all we would need from them would be "Yolanda and the Thief," "Three Little Words" and "Belle of New York" ( and Ziegfeld Follies ).Both of the Columbias are now available and, if memory serves, I think that would just leave "Let's Dance" from Paramount.

A couple of years ago, almost none of Fred's major work was available on DVD, now we have almost all of it. Oh, I shouldn't forget "Dancing Lady" which I'm sure Warners will also get around to eventually.

So we're almost there.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: