laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swingin' with Bing Part 2?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark J. Bakker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Swingin' with Bing Part 2? Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I was wondering what are the chances of a follow up to the fantastic 'Swingin with Bing' 3 CD set and booklet?
'Swingin with Bing' has become my most frequently played Bing music. I just love the 'live' feel of the performances and the way it has been edited as one continuous show.
I would guess that there must be many more Bing radio performances of this kind which warrant release on CD. How about some of the Bing and Al jolson tracks or Bing and Rosemary Clooney radio duets?
Steven Lewis also gives a list of 'yet to be released' radio performances on the Crosby internet museum site.
Hopefully the sales of 'Swingin with Bing' Part one will encourage further releases of these marvellous radio performances in the future.
Best Wishes,
Mark Bakker
Bristol
United Kingdom
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: More SWINGIN' WITH BING ? Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark for your enthusiasm re the 3-CD set SWINGIN' WITH BING.

The feedback on this release has just been terriific and I'm happy to see that it's reaching its target audience. The set was recently released in Japan but, as yet, there is no news of a U.K./European release. I don't know why, especially since many radio stations throughout the UK are eager to feature it.

Will there be a volume two ? Right now, I can't say for sure. As you know, this was a very expensive production and was several years in the making. It involved numerous legal clearances and much audio restoration to bring these old transcription sources up to the high standard that is heard on the current set.

However, I can tell you that I have recently completed work ( up to the same high standard ) of a 2-CD set entitled

BING CROSBY meets AL JOLSON
The COMPLETE Collection/

This set - which, like SWINGIN' WITH BING, has taken several years to
complete - presents the music from all 12 broadcasts that Bing made with Al Jolson between 1946 and 1950. It contains every formal duet that the two singers did together ( and a couple of the informal ones ) plus 10 solos apiece from Bing and Al.

The results have been carefully edited to run like two complete shows.
The two CDs will offer over two and a half hours of matchless vocal entertainment from these two giants.

No release date is set as yet - but hopefully it will be released in the UK around April or May of next year. As soon as there is a definite release, it will be posted on the Laureate website.
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

judy
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: CROSBY MEETS JOLSON Reply with quote

Hi Judy,
Good to get your reaction. Unfortunately, it will not be released on Shout Factory. But I am currently in talks with a UK label and details will be announced shortly.

Keep well

Ken
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to announce it via "Bing" magazine and on the Crosby website so we don't miss out!

judy
Mark J Bakker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Bing And Al Jolson Reply with quote

Ken,

This is really great news, something else to look forward to!
I know that most of Bing's radio shows, with Al Jolson as guest, were released on LP some years ago. Were they part of a series called 'Spokane' ?
I for one am not familiar with these recordings, so it will be great to hear them for the first time in a pristine restored audio collection! The sound quality of 'Swingin with Bing' is just amazing for radio transcription recordings that are 50 years old!
I'm not sure if you are aware of audio restoration engineer Robert Parker, who lives in my part of the country. Mr Parker has restored commercial recordings of both Bing and Al Jolson to good effect, a similar standard of work to the marvellous Peter Reynolds.
Regards,
Mark Bakker
Bristol
United Kingdom
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Crosby-Jolson Reply with quote

You're right, Mark about the label Spokane. They certainly did release some of the Bing and Al broadcasts - but I'm not sure if they did them all.
However,in their case, it was the entire programmes which, in my opinion at least, do not make for the best listening ( and certainly not on commercial recordings ).

I haven't yet completed the deal on Bing and Al, but it's going in the right direction. Once again, Peter Reynolds has done a terrific job in meeting my often impossible demands. If you like SWINGIN' WITH BING, I think you'll be just as happy with this 2-disc set.

Yes, I know of Robert Parker and,of course, his work is equally wonderful.

I don't expect to get this deal sorted until after Christmas. But when I do, it'll be announced here on the website first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: