laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20th CENTURY FOX
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> 20th Century Fox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G.B.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Fox classics Reply with quote

I think Fox are doing a pretty good job on their classics - particularly the film noir series. But, like many other visitors to this website, I'm looking forward to Tyrone Power classics like "The Black Swan" and "Captain From Castille" - hopefully with extras.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs - Marquee Musicals Reply with quote

I just got "Daddy Long Legs" on DVD and it's excellent. In fact, of all the Fred Astaire musicals currently on DVD, it may be the very best quality.
In any case, it's right up there with Warner's "Easter Parade" and "The Band Wagon."

It's nice also to see that this is the first in a series called Marquee Musicals.
Fox turned out some pretty good musicals during the 1940s and '50s. Let's hope the series includes " Sun Valley Serenade," " Diamond Horseshoe" and "Mother Wore Tights."
T.M.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs and Marquee Musicals Reply with quote

The new DVD of "Daddy Long Legs" is great and certainly a worthy market leader for Fox's new series Marquee Musicals. The extras are fine and the audio commentary is full of rare stories and little known facts.

The only shortcomiing - as I understand it - is that Fox ( in this first batch of DVDs - the other two being "Weekend in Havana" and "Pin-Up Girl" )
is with the envelope marked Lobby Cards which contain only one card instead of the planned four. This may be corrected at a later date, but right now Fox are not planning to exchange current purchases.

Other musicals that I would like to see in this series are "That Night In Rio," Diamond Horseshoe" and "Four Jills in a Jeep"

Also, outside of musicals, I'd like to see the two Tyrone Power swashbuckler "The Black Swan" and "Captain From Castile."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, another vote here for a superb DVD of Daddy Long Legs. Excellent.

Now, does anyone know whether the 4 Region 2 Studio Classics Shirley Temple releases (Stowaway, Captain January, Poor Little Rich Girl and Our Little Girl) are the dreadful colorized versions or the proper black and white versions?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Daddy Long Legs -Shirley Temple Reply with quote

Thanks for your note. I'm glad you liked "Daddy Long Legs," As for Shirley Temple, I'll put this to the Fox office in London. Hopefully, I'll have a reply in a few days.
Nick Eden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Shirley Temple Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ken.
Rego

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the version I have are the colorised set Sad
Rego

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Daddy Long Legs and more Reply with quote

Jim Patterson wrote:
Good to see that "Daddy Long Legs" is finally under way. Does this mean that we'll be getting more of the classic Fox musicals ?

And what about "Sun Valley Serenade" and "Orchestra Wives" ?

Fox has released a box set of 8 DVD's which include: Second Fiddle, The Dolly Sisters, On the Avenue, Pin Up Girl, The Gang's All Here, Sun VallySerenade, Orchestra Wives, and Daddy Long Legs.

The wizards at Fox have really worked their magic with this box set, Hollywood Musicals.
Both the picture and soundtrack of these films have been lovingly restored from the best available source material. The result is a pleasure to both the ear and eye.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: What about The Best Things In Life Are Free Reply with quote

I notice that many people are requesting Fox musicals, but no-one seems interested in "The Best Things In Life Are Free". This is certainly not the best musical ever made, but it does have both Gordon Macrae and Dan Dailey, several tuneful songs - Ray Henderson was a great natural tune-smith - and a wonderful dance routine by Sheree North and Jacques D'Amboise to "The Birth Of The Blues". (In her commentary on the DVD of "Carousel", Shirley Jones says she thought Jacques D'Amboise was the best dancer she had ever seen). I would love to see a high quality DVD of this movie.

Talking of Shirley Jones, what about "April Love"? Admittedly there is almost no story, but the songs by Sammy Fain are gently melodic and the movie has great charm.

Finally, keep your fingers crossed. It has been reported that in February Fox in America are releasing the Tyrone Power version of "Blood And Sand" with Rita Hayworth and Linda Darnell.

Last edited by JoelCairo on Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Fox Musicals Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Cairo,

We've been trying for over two years to get Fox to release certain titles.
Happily, some of these titles ( Daddy Long Legs, the two Glenn Miller films et al have now been released ). I will pass on your suggestion for "The Best Things In Life Are Free"

There have also been quite a lot of Film Noir titles and Tyrone Power films released. "Blood and Sand," as yoou pointed out, is coming. I hope it will be followed by "Captain From Castile"

It's good to hear from you and please give my regards to Casper Gutman
when you see him.

Regards
Ken
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Hard boiled ? Got it Reply with quote

I've just remembered. It came from Billy Wilder's "Ace in the Hole" - another Paramount film that should be on DVD along with "The Jpker is Wild."
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hard boiled ? Got it Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
I've just remembered. It came from Billy Wilder's "Ace in the Hole" - another Paramount film that should be on DVD

Well spotted, sir!

I've a nasty idea I may have mis-quoted very slightly. I've got this movie on VHS - I recorded it off the BBC many, many years ago - so I will watch it over Christmas to make sure I've got it right.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Quotes Reply with quote

I think you're as near as makes-no-matter and probably nearer than "Play it again.Sam" or "Come up and see me sometime."
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard boiled ? Got it Reply with quote

Quote:
I've a nasty idea I may have mis-quoted very slightly. I've got this movie on VHS - I recorded it off the BBC many, many years ago - so I will watch it over Christmas to make sure I've got it right.

I have now watched "Ace In The Hole" again, for the first time in many years. You are quite right: this movie should be on DVD. The actual line is "I've met plenty of hard boiled eggs in my life, but you, you're twenty minutes." On my VHS tape it sounds more like "I met" rather than "I've met" but I assume that is due to a muffled soundtrack rather than Billy Wilder's original dialogue. I have now amended the line in my profile.

Strangely, it comes quite differently from how I remembered it. I thought - wrongly - that it came as an exclamation in response to a piece of brazen cynicism from Tatum (Kirk Douglas). In fact Jan Sterling delivers it quietly as the opening line of a crucial scene. This is a brilliant scene and Jan Sterling is superb. In fact she is so good throughout the movie, and far better than I had ever recognised, that I also watched "The Man With The Gun" (aka "The Troubleshooter") with Robert Mitchum. Jan Sterling is excellent in this film too, showing a totally different personality. Maybe we have all under-estimated her.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard boiled ? Got it Reply with quote

JoelCairo wrote:
I have now watched "Ace In The Hole" again, for the first time in many years. You are quite right: this movie should be on DVD.

It is now rumoured that Criterion will be releasing Ace In The Hole on DVD later this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> 20th Century Fox All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: