laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Betty Hutton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Dolce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Betty Hutton Reply with quote

I'd love to see some more of this Blond Bombshell's films released on DVD. She was an exuberant, colourful actress that put more than her all into her roles, and had a marvelous singing voice to match. There are already a few of her films on DVD such as "Annie Get your Gun", "The Greatest Show on Earth," "The Perils of Pauline," and "Stork Club."

The films I'd most like to own on DVD are:
-"And the Fleet's In" a film Martin and Lewis later remade with Betty in a cameo
-"And the Angels Sing" with Dorothy Lamour and Fred MacMurray
A film she made with Bing Crosby:
-"Here Comes the Waves"
Her amazing teaming with Fred Astaire:
-"Let's Dance"
And two of her best performances which are sadly not on DVD:
-"Incendiary Blonde"
and
-"Miracle of Morgan's Creek"

I'm sure plenty of her fans would make this a great selling collection. And if Laureate could be involved in the production I know they would have quality prints and possibly excellent special features such as the goldmine of them all: a Betty Hutton commentary.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Betty Hutton Reply with quote

Well,Scott, I did say there'd be some flak. I tend to go along with you on Betty Hutton - at least part of the way. Her performances in "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" and, especially, "Annie Get Your Gun" are well worth a place in any movie buff's collection. But, as a partner for Fred Astaire, I can't see the chemistry. I expected more from this teaming and it just wasn't there.

"The Fleet's In" would be worth putting on DVD. The songs by Johnny Mercer and director, Victor Schertzinger ( whose last film this was ) includes such all-time standards as "I Remember You" and "Tangerine"
plus the Jimmy Dorsey band. Yes, the script was later remade as "Sailor Beware" with Martin Lewis and, yet again, as a vehicle for Elvis Presley "GI Blues." But neither remake improved on the original.

Miss Hutton was especially good in the Crosby film "Here Come The Waves" where she showed her versatility by playing two parts ( as twins).

Yes, I think MIss Hutton was a gifted performer in many ways. But she was often wildly over-the-top and this was not to everyone's taste.
I like her work - but I prefer to appreciate her in small does.

Still I agree she deserves to be better represented on DVD
Dominic McHugh2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you see in her? I fail to see anything of any attraction. Her voice is so annoying, either deep or squeaky, and I can't bear her singing. She's strangely masculine even in non-Annie Oakley roles, and doesn't seem to spark with anyone. She couldn't even make a decent film with Fred Astaire, who was a highly accomodating partner even when dancing with women that were far from natural choices (Cyd Charrisse, for example - 'Dancing in the Dark' is pure magic in 'Band Wagon').

Please let's stick to the films which are worth seeing but are as yet unreleased on DVD. Hutton would be a waste of Laureate's time, and an interview with her would not, for a change, be an incentive for me to buy a DVD.

Dominic
Scott Dolce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you blokes can stick with your glamour princesses. You don't know what in heavens you are missing. Can you not look past the physical features and recognize a performer with enourmous heart and soul? I won't try to defend her singing voice to anyone, it's the most obvious of her charms and doesn't need my help in the least. But she's not masculine in the least! I couldn't believe I read that!!! Maybe that's masculine in Amsterdam's red light district, but not where I come from! Not saying anyone here is from Amsterdam, just trying by some stretch to think of a fitting place. And if you think any of those films I mentioned are not worth being released on DVD, I would need more than two persons opinions and still never be convinced. I'll treasure my videotapes as long as they last.
Dominic McHugh2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mark

It's a funny thing about Cyd, I used to feel really ambivalent about her myself but now I really like her. She's not my favourite by any means, and I would never ever ever give up Ginger for Cyd, especially when dancing with Fred. I think that Cyd's performance in 'Silk Stockings' is fabulous - it's so different from the way she is in 'Band Wagon'. I also, dare I say, like her legs a whole lot more now than when I was younger...

She is too tall, though, and it really annoys me when she dances in a tutu - she is no Margot Fonteyn.

It's fab news about 'That's Entertainment' coming to DVD - all three parts, no less! My order's in already! I'm not sure that 'Seven Brides' deserves more attention, though, because although I really like it, the documentary that comes with it already is enough for me. I'd prefer more on 'Gigi' or any of Fred's films.

Dear Scott - hope I didn't insult you, but I am genuinely surprised by your affection for Hutton. You are the first person I've known that likes her as much as you clearly do. My mum and dad both dislike her intensely. I don't personally feel she has much talent. I'm sure Mark and I are not the only two, it's maybe just that most people can't be bothered even writing about her. I much prefer Doris Day in similar types of roles - her voice really is underrated. Day vs Hutton as Oakley/Calamity Jane - no competition for me, I'm afraid.

Dominic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: