laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SWINGIN' WITH BING
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Oye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: "Swingin' With Bing" - Ken on National Public Radi Reply with quote

I just listened in on a "live" stream of an npr radio broadcast (from Syracuse University, NY) on which Ken was featured. It was an excellent program, which included tracks from "Swingin'", and a long distance phone conversation with "himself". Ken, as a Crosby fan I'd like to say thanks again for continuing to keep Bing's name & art circulating.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Thanks, Jon. I'm glad you heard the interview. I have Judy Schmid of Syracuse to thank for arranging it. I think it went quite well and the show's presenter, Eric Cohen, was genuinely enthusiastic about the set.

I must say the overall feedback has been terrific and I think it will prove to be a successful album - not just for Crosby fans but for all who love quality music.

Keep well

Best
Ken
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Terrific Interview! Reply with quote

Ken - the interview went swimmingly! Eric said you answered questions he was set to ask before he even asked them! It was great - Eric's a young guy, VERY knowledgeable (as his dad's a jazz musician in NYC) - and he's been kind enough to 'tolerate' my lobbying for more Bing on his airwaves. With this set, it made it EASY! The station is listened to online by many graduates of Syracuse University, as well as jazz lovers in much of upstate NY -

Thanks again for taking the time - hopefully we can find you more interviews to help promote the set!

Cool
judy
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Yes, it was certainly an enjoyable interview. If more Transatlantic radio chats can be arranged, I'll be happy to cooperate.

The album is picking up rave reviews everywhere and the people at Shot Factory tell me that the feedback has been terrific.

Did you happen to record the interview with Eric Cohen ? If so, I'd like to get a copy.

Thanks for your help

Best
Ken
Joe Amodei Sr.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: NPR Interview Reply with quote

Hi Ken:

I caught your interview 9/23 on NPR in Syracuse, and thought you did a fine job. We knew the music would be good whichever selection from "Swingin' with Bing" was chosen. It delighted me to hear your insight into what a contribution to jazz music Bing really made. I especially enjoyed your personal rememberences of your times with Bing. You came across to me as just a good friend of his, something that a multitude of us would like to be able to say. Thanks for the interview and thanks to "Judy" for making us aware of it...it is appreciated

Joe Amodei{the old man}
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, would you believe that neither Eric nor I remembered to pop in a tape just as the interview started, and we were both quite upset that neither remembered...unfortunately, I haven't received any response from folks who might've taped it locally - I'm still searching, but I'm not optimistic.

I'll see what I can do to arrange more interviews - hope the marketing budget can support it! Wink

judy
J. Leaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Congratulations to everyone involved in SWINGIN' WITH BING. Not only is it one of the best Crosby albums I've ever heard, it's one of the best albums EVER - and it goes straight into my all-time top ten ( and I have over 1,000 albums in my collection.

It has so impressed my friends ( many of whom are not Crosby fans ) that they are going to add it to their collections as soon as it's released in the U.K.
Mark Jan Bakker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Swingin' With Bing Reply with quote

Incredible!

Amazon.co.uk are offering 3 new copies of this set at £0.26 per set!
Must be a mistake i guess, but a contract is a contract!

Received my copy today from amazon germany (paid £28). Very pleased with the whole package. Love the duets by Bing and Ella, the first time i have listened to these two favourites singing together. Wonderful packaging and booklet. Well done Ken, i take my hat off to you.
Regards,
Mark Bakker
Bristol
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark - for your kind words re. SWB. It took a long time to produce but it's proving to be worth it. But it certainly won't be if Amazon insist on playing the bankruptcy card.

I agree with Mark Fisk. It IS a mistake.

Ken
Jane S.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Swingin' with Bing Reply with quote

Hi Ken,
I wanted to add my congratulations to you on putting this fabulous set together. It was the first of many Bing Crosby CDs I have invested in since listening to this one.
Thank you for reintroducing me to the incredible sounds of Bing.
Jane S.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Thanks Jane for contacting us. I'm pleased that you like SWINGIN' WITH BING. In the short time it's been on release in the USA, it certainly has proved to be a winner with collectors.

Another Crosby 3-CD set that you may care to investigate is BING CROSBY-THE COMPLETE UNITED ARTISTS SESSIONS. This is available both in the U.K. and U.S.A. and various other countries around the world.

It consists of everything that Bing recorded for the United Artists label and covers all of the UA studio sessions that I produced with Bing in the mid-70s - as well as some excerpts from his famed London Palladium concert of 1976. You'll hear him in company with Fred Astaire, Rosemary Clooney and Bob Hope. There are also some amusing session out-takes which give a nice impression of what Bing was like in the studio. If you enjoyed SWINGIN' WITH BING, I'm sure you'll like this too.

Once again, many thanks.

Best wishes
Ken Barnes
jane s.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Swingin' with Bing Reply with quote

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your recommendations. I just ordered "Bing Crosby - The Complete United Artists Sessions." I will let you know when I receive it and I have no doubt that I will enjoy every note of it!
Thanks again.
Jane[/i]
Jon Oye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: "Swingin' With Bing" Reply with quote

Just thought I'd mention that, following on the heels of a glowing review of "Swingin'" by Nat Hentoff in yesterday's Wall Street Journal, the set jumped to #7 on Amazon.com's Music sales chart in the U. S. And it's at #1 on Amazon's Jazz chart! Congratulations, Ken, to you and your team. It's fitting that a man who worked so closely and successfully with Bing should have a hand in boosting him back up to the top where he belongs.
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Bing still swings Reply with quote

Congratulations to Ken Barnes on the continuing success of "Swingin' with Bing," one of the best albums ever made and solid proof that the great Bing still swings.

I look forward eagerly to Bing meets Al Jolson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: