laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SWINGIN' WITH BING
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Dolce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Bingin' with Swing Reply with quote

Good evening, Ken. And thank you, dreams really do come true.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

And good evening to you,Scott - wherever you are. Oh, and please give my regards to Mrs. Calabash. ( Very strange, I usually play by ear ).
Joe Amodei Sr.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Swingin' with Bing Reply with quote

Hi Ken:
Just got my copy and I was floored! I expected it to be good but your booklet really bowled me over. I was surprised when it wasn't stocked by neither "Barnes and Noble" nor "Borders", hope it was just locally. I ended up at Amazon, pre-ordered and it finally arrived. If there were some way to get the general public to hear these wonderful performances I'm sure sales would show a sharp increase. I'm amazed at the lack of interest here in the States for the guy who saw the U.S. thru WW2 and was probably the most loved entertainer of his time......I'll never understand that.

Sorry about being long-winded. I only wanted to let you know how much your endeavors are appreciated. This is one guy that "Swingin' with Bing" has made very happy.

Sincerely

Joe Amodei (the old man)
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Thanks, Joe. I understand that some areas have embraced it wholeheartedly. Judy Schmid got her copy from Barnes and Noble in Syracuse where it had sold out within an hour. They promptly ordered ten more copies.

I understand, it's doing well on Amazon with orders coming in daily.
So I think it's a sleeper and it should do very well worldwide. Anyway, I'm glad you like it.

And thanks for your kind words

Best
Ken
C.S.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

I ordered my copy from Amazon - but three of my friends bought it retail
( here in Toronto ) without any problems. It's a terrific set and I agree with Joe Amodei that the more people know about it, the bigger hit it will be. It's one of the best albums I've ever heard. This really is Bing at his best.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Thanks C.S. Considering that SWINGIN' WITH BING is a box set - and three times more expensive than the average album - I understand it's doing very nicely. In all my years as a producer, I've NEVER had a bigger flood of compliments for any single project. Also I just checked Amazon in Canada and the music editor has given the album a rave review. Did this influence your decision to buy it ?
Mike Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Swingin' with Bing Reply with quote

Having only just discovered this website, I had no knowledge of this 3xCD set, which is surprising as I subscribe to IN TUNE INTERNATIONAL magazine, the best mag in the world for this kind of music.

Checking out the HMV.CO.UK set, it is listed as being released on 28th April, but at the horrendous price of £51.99, which is over $95.00!

Surely, this cannot be right?
Mike Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Swingin' with Bing Reply with quote

Correction. UK release date listed as 28th August.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Laureate website. The actual U.S. release date for
SWINGIN' WITH BING was August 24th. The list price $49.99 U.S.
( and can be purchased from Amazon. com for less. Probably also from Amazon.co.uk.

I was told that since it is an elaborate 3-CD presentation housed in 40-page hardback book, it's being referred to as " a limited edition." I was also told that there were no plans at present to issue in the U.K. If they do release over here, it may be in a much simpler presentation.

Where did hear that it was issued in the UK on 28th August ?

Ken
Scott Dolce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers skip Mark. Now he only has one left after me visit. I hope it is worth the price.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

I hope you like it too, Scott. I don't see why you shouldn't. That is, if you want to hear a great singer at his best with a host of guest stars who are all giants in their own right.

Thanks and
Happy listening.

K.B.
Mark J. Bakker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Swingin' with Bing Reply with quote

Hi Folks!

It's been a while since i posted here, hope that everyone is well and enjoying classic movies and good music!
I ordered my copy of "Swingin' with Bing" from the German amazon site. It's up at 34 euros, 41 including postage, which at today's exchange rate is £28 including postage. Can't wait to receive it (about a week if my scoolboy German is correct!). I'll let you know what i think Ken.
The German site also lists over 600 other CD's featuring Bing! Including the hard to find Japanese Import "Holiday In Europe". Although at 39 euros for a single CD it's a bit expensive!
I recently ordered "Feels Good, Feels Right" from amazon UK, what a bargain at £4.99! Excellent sound quality.
Now, if only Universal would sort out the issues with "Seasons"!
Best Wishes,
Mark Bakker
Bristol, United Kingdom
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING-SEASONS Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark. I think you'll enjoy "Swingin' With Bing." I'm still working on "Seasons." There seems to be some kind of contractual blockage which Universal themselves are finding hard to understand - especially since the title track was made available on a compilation album called "Forever Bing." Go figure.

On the DVD front (in the USA at least ) there are more Crosby films being released than Sinatra movies. After the ten films that were issued last year, this year Pparamount has jumped on the band wagon with the release of a double bill with Jane Wyman of Just For You & Here Comes The Groom - the latter directed by Frank Capra is not as good as I remember it - but as a double bill, it's worth the money. Paramount followed this up with another Crosby-Capra film "Riding High" - which is much more enjoyable. Best of all, though, is the long awaited DVD of "The Country Girl" in which Bing proves his acting to the hilt. This really is a good, solid film in which he is ably supported by Grace Kelly and William Holden. But it's Bing's film and his performance as a scheming, weak-willed alcoholic actor is just amazing.

I'm involved, at present, in more projects on Bing ( both CD and DVD ).
As soon as things come together, it will be announced in our News Section.

Ken
P.Woodruff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

I've never really been a fan of Bing Crosby but I am an ardent collector of Sinatra,Tony Bennett, Dean Martin and Nat Cole. Of course, I was aware of his importance as a leading figure in the history of popular singing. So I decided it was time to add at least one Crosby album to my collection and I recently bought Swingin' wiith Bing. It's fantastic. This is Crosby at his peak. His timing, his wit and a voice of great warmth and richness. I've never heard him better.

Also the guest stars - Ella, Louis, Nat and the Andrews Sisters.Not to mention the great jazz soloists, Joe Venuti, Red Nichols and Jack Teagarden. This is one hell of an album. I'm completely sold on Bing.

Congratulations to Ken Barnes and Laureate.
Ron Dennis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with P. Woodruff. SWINGIN' WITH BING is an incredible album. It's high time that Bing Crosby's superior skills as a singer and entertainer were properly celebrated and this is the album to do it. His rhythm singing is top notch and as for his ballad singing, just listen to " Blue Skies" with that terrific guitar solo by Les Paul, and I don't think I've ever heard a better version of "It Had To Be You" - which is really a duet between Bing and legendary cornet player, Red Nichols.

Add to all of Bing's great vocals, his duets with Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and others and you have an album - 3 CDs - that will bring pleasure for years. And the packaging alone which is full of facts and an excellent selection of photos - some in color - is almost worth the price alone. This is a classic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: