laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SWINGIN' WITH BING
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Thanks Judy for your interest.

The set will carry an ambitious 40-page booklet. I'll keep you posted on
developments.

I imagine you've heard about Paramount's upcoming double feature DVD combining Just For You and Here Comes The Groom. I'm not crazy about the latter movie. Of the two films that Bing made with Frank Capra, I much prefer "Riding High." But I guess the idea here is to combine the two films that Bing made with Jane Wyman - which,of course, is not a bad idea.

Keep well

Ken
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

Ken! I just picked up the ONLY copy of "Swingin' with Bing" at our local Barnes & Noble store (that 25% off coupon I had was itching to be used!) - skimming thru the booklet, I was grinning - what a wonderful document with terrific pictures! (the store manager is ordering 10 more copies today - their copy was on the shelf for only an hour when I bought it!)

And then, the last page - I was FLOORED...and honored! If I were the cryin' type, that's what I'd be doing right now!

Thank you SO much for the honor!

judy (blushing like CRAZY)
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Hi Judy,

I'm glad you like SWINGIN' WITH BING. Sounds like you were quick off the mark in grabbing it on the very day of release (August 24 ). I'm getting very good feedback from other early buyers - one of whom described it as "The most important Crosby album for years."

As for your credit in the book, I believe you've earned it for all your hard work just as certain members of the ICC have earned their credits. I think it's turned out very well. I would also like to say that the people at Shout Factory have done an amazing job on the presentation and packaging. It deserves to sell a zillion copies.

Thanks

Ken
Dean Martin fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Having collected just about everything of the great Dino and I thought it might be interesting to investigate "Swinging with Bing." I bought it yesterday and played through all three CDs one after the other. I never realised just how great Mr. Crosby was. This is one of the finest and most entertaining albums I've ever heard.

My thanks to Ken Barnes and everyone connected with it. I can see now why Dino was such an admirer of Bing.
Greg Van Beek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Must Have Crosby collection! Reply with quote

This is, without a doubt, the most comprehensive look at Bing Crosby's radio work that has ever been produced. And there was no better man to tackle the job of compiling it all than Ken Barnes. Ken's production values and attention to detail are extraordinary. If Ken's involved with a project, you can be assured the results will always be outstanding and top notch. It's a pity that Bing Crosby never made a commercial recording with the great Ella Fitzgerald, whom Bing cited on numerous occasions as his favorite singer. But we're fortunate Bing had her as a guest on his radio shows often, and that Ken has painstakingly assembled all of their extant duets together for this album. Not only that, but you also can revel in classic live performances pairing Bing with Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, the Andrews Sisters, the Mills Bros. and more. If you want to hear the ultimate crooner, live and in his prime, this is the one CD set with which to begin your journey into the realm of Crosbyana. A detailed and informative booklet is included with the set. It's heavily illustrated with many rare and previously unseen images. So go on, take a chance. Purchase this set at once. I guarantee the magic of Bing captivate you as it has so many others for so many years. Congratulations, Ken, on another job well done! You're a "Bing backer" par excellence.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

My thanks to both the Dean Martin fan and to Greg Van Beek. I'm glad you like SWINGIN' WITH BING. It was a pleasure indeed to work with the wonderful team at Shout Factory. I'm sure if the word gets around, they'll sell tons of copies.

Keep swingin'

Ken
Jon Oye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Swingin' With Bing Reply with quote

I was at first hesitant to purchase this set, since I already had most of the material on CD. But I'm glad my compulsive collector nature got the better of me, because it turns out this is one of the best and most attractive Bing packages ever assembled.

The booklet alone is a must-have. About the only CD-booklet to which it can be compared -- "Bing - His Legendary Years" -- is a distant second. This one is loaded with photos, many in color, as well as an insightful overview of Bing's career, a look at the restoration and transfer of the original transcription discs, and personal reflections about Bing from Ken.

It's great to hear these radio performances after state-of-the-art remastering, which obviously has made them sound much better than before - particularly the selections from the old Bing & Ella CD, and the "Fun With Bing & Louis" CDs. Something that's always bothered me about the latter -- the annoying changes in speed from track to track, which alternately made Bing sound like everything from a low baritone to a low tenor -- has thankfully been fixed.

A unique aspect of this set is that each disc has been edited to sound like one continuous performance, rather than fading in/fading out from one track to the next. This makes for a pleasant, consistent listening experience, as opposed to the cut-and-paste hodge podge effect that previous Bing radio compilations have produced.

Also nice to see that Mrs. Crosby was involved in the production of this package. I hope more of this type of worthy Bing product will follow. Thanks to everyone who made it possible, especially Ken Barnes!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Dear Jon,

Thanks so much for your enthusiastic remarks re. SWINGIN' WITH BING.

Since I compiled this expansive set from the original transcription sources, these performances were new to me. I had never heard the bootleg versions to which you refer. I simply chose the tracks that (a) carried the best performances and (b) had the least amount of scratches,etc.

I edited the tracks to give each CD a sense of continuiity and I'm glad you like this idea. I know the album has only been on release for three days in the USA but, in that short time I've had numerous e-mails and even phone calls in addition to the messages here on the website. All have shown the same level of enthusiasm as you. I'm very grateful and I hope the album will continue to bring you pleasure.

Best
Ken
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

I just returned from a holiday in New York and picked up my set of SWINGIN' WITH BING on the day of release. I must have played it four times since I got home. Believe me, it's that good. It's even worth buying for the packaging alone. This is one of the best presented CD sets EVER ! If you think you've heard Bing Crosby at his best, wait until you hear SWINGIN' WITH BING. You ain't heard nothin' yet. This really is the best of Bing.
Ron Patmore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

I must add my approval to all of the other raves re. Swingin' With Bing.
I've never heard him sound better and the audio quality of these vintage radio performances is just amazing. Ken Barnes - always a producer par excellence - has come up with something exceptional here. There so many great tracks it's impossible to choose a favourite. Loads of superb solo renderings of Bing plus a terrific series of duets with the likes Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Nat Cole, The Andrews Sisters. The whole package ( and how about that booklet ? ) is an embarassment of riches.

This may be the most entertaining album I've ever heard. Buy,buy,buy !
Scott Dolce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me, good sirs. Are you fellows sure you're not related? You certainly seem to be of like mind in any case. One would think Ken's not the only one got some brass coming on the sales of this cd set. Just kidding people, please excuse the lack of humour. I searched my local tunes shops for this set and came up completely empty. I was dead interested. That is, until I finally found it listed on the Amazon website. The US one. Oh my goodness! Can you tell me what justifies paying the price of 50 Yank dollars for only 3 discs? And I have heard most of the tunes before if I am not mistaken. I do not mean to rile anyone. Well nip on ahead and get riled if you want to, that's what highway robbery is all about.
Jon Oye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Swingin' With Bing Reply with quote

It can be had for a less imposing 35 Yankee greenbacks at cduniverse.com. That's less than $12 per CD in an age where new releases generally cost around $18 (or more) for a single disc.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

I've had no word yet on the UK release. But as soon as I find out, I'll post it on the website

Ken
Scott Dolce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Bingin' with Swing Reply with quote

Thank you, Jon, for that information. I looked over the page. I still feel fair skeptical about it, however. I am more interested in hearing Betty Hutton, Durante, or Michael Bolton. Remember when Bing sang "Hey Jude"? That would be one of my favourite choices for a cd for him. Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are. Scott.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Thanks, Scott for your comments. I think you would overcome your skepticism as soon as you hear the results - and being the show business enthusiast that you are, I believe you'll flip when you hear Bing's work with the Andrews Sisters, his duets with Ella ( especially "Basin Street Blues" ) and Louis ( the genuinely impromptu version of "A Kiss To Build On" is a knockout ). All this and the inimitable Bing at his very best.
Little wonder that 50 million people a week tuned in to hear his shows.

I honestly don't think you'll regret adding this to your collection.

Best
Ken.

P.S. Did you know that Betty Hutton's film "The Stork Club" is now on DVD ( Region 1 ) ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: