laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bing & Vera Lynn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Amodei Sr.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Bing & Vera Lynn Reply with quote

I grew up in the USA during WW2 with Bing as my favorite. Along with Bing my co-favorite was Vera Lynn. In my mind they were the two best vocalists of the two best countries. Through the years I searched unsuccessfully for any sign of the two recording together. After many, many years, on Ebay I purchased a copy of Bing on Vera's show [9/24/75] on British TV. Now picture me a lot of years older sitting down to watch what I consider two Icons. Their performance was fine but I was extremely disappointed with the choice, or lack of material. There I was ready to enjoy those wonderful tunes from the forties, and what I saw was just a simple "ditty" for lack of a better word. I searched for over 50 years and what I finally found was "Sing a Song". It was such a letdown from what I expected, I had to vent my displeasure, sorry it was on you. If there exists any other available video of Bing and Vera performing together would someone please advise me. .....Thank you

Sorry for being so long winded
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: BING & VERA Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Fiirstly, let me thank you for your e-mail of today. I couldn't reply to that because, at present, I'm having technical problems with my server. I can receive e-mails but I can't send them. I'm in the process of changing my server - so this situation may continue for a while.

Now, to your comments re. Bing's appearance on the Vera Lynn show. Yes, it was a disappointment. I was working with Bing at the time and he did it as a last-minute gesture to help celebrate Vera being made a Dame.

I think Bing was more comfortable with " Sing" than Vera was and it would have been better if they had selected something more in keeping with the lady's style. Bing,of course, was happy in any style.

Did they do anything else together ? No, not to my knowledge.

Keep well
Best
Ken
Neil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic - but if you can still get hold of it, there is a great DVD of one of Vera Lynn's Thames TV programmes from the 70s with George Sheering as guest.

I think it was recorded to plug her Nashville Album - she sings some of the songs from it and mentions it once, but nevertheless it is a good programme.

Some of her frocks are ghastly though!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: