laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silent Films

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark J. Bakker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Silent Films Reply with quote

I would like to start adding a few silent films to my collection of DVD's, it's not an era i have really thought about before so i'm not sure where to start.
I notice that 'Amazon' and 'Play' list maybe 200 silents available on DVD, very few of which i have seen, apart from 'The Wind', 'The Phantom of the Opera' and of course many of the Chaplin/Keaton/Langdon comedies.
I would therefore appreciate any recommendations from visitors to this site.
I'm looking initially to add around 10-12 silents to my collection, films that represent the best of the silent era. Comedy, action, drama, adventure or any other genre.
I would also be interested to know if there are any definitive books, currently in print, that focus on the silents. It's an era i would like to know more about, so again i would appreciate any recommendations.
I did read that only 10-15% of silents still survive, which is a shocking statistic. Much of our film history either destroyed or allowed to rot in cans. Much praise must therefore go to Turner/Warner, Laureate and other companies who work to preserve classic movies for future generations to enjoy.
Mark Bakker
Mark J Bakker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Silent Movies Reply with quote

Thank you for the useful list Mark, much appreciated. I am aware at least of MOST of the films that you mention.
I am very wary, with films of this age, in respect of the quality of print. I know it's difficult to get perfection with films that are over 70 or 80 years old. I have read some dreadful reviews of silent film DVD's which appear to be in the public domain and have apparently been released 'on a budget'.
Are there any particular companies i should look out for, for quality releases?
Is 'Metropolis' worth a look? I noticed a 2 disc SE on 'Amazon'. Although i don't know much about the film it seems to be a 'milestone' in film making.
Regards,
Mark Bakker
Mark J Bakker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Silent Films Reply with quote

Mark,

Thanks again for the information. This is all very useful. The problems with the Pickford movie you mention is just the kind of thing i wish to avoid.
If possible, i want to buy DVD's of fully restored silent movies complete with original score, or possibly with new score. I believe that Carl Davis has done some very good work on new scores for silent movies.
I always think of actors such as Douglas Fairbanks Snr, Rudolph Valentino and Gloria Swanson as being the big stars of the silent era. Would you recommend anything by these actors?
Incidentally, your knowledge of film, especially for a 15 year old chap, never ceases to amaze me. I do hope that you go on to work within the classic film industry. I think you would go far!
Regards,
Mark Bakker
Mark J. Bakker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Silent Movies Reply with quote

Mark,

Very useful information indeed. This should enable me to sort the quality productions from the 'not so good' product.
I believe a small excerpt of 'Queen Kelly' was used in 'Sunset Boulevard', one of my all time favourite films. In fact, i only know Gloria Swanson from this film so it will be interesting to see some movies from her earlier career. I did once meet Miss Swanson (1981). She signed a copy of her autobiography for me 'To Mark, A happy heart, Gloria Swanson 1981'. By this time she had almost become Norma Desmond!
Clara Bow is another actress which may be of interest. Again i don't know too much about her, other than her reputation as the 'It' girl.
I'm not sure how big she was in those days, how many films she made, how many still exist and how many are now on DVD.
I think some of the silent stars would be amazed to know that their movies are still being watched 80 years after being made. What was once purely entertainment has also become a wonderful form of art.
Regards,
Mark Bakker
c.t.dreyer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Hope in the meantime you’ve made some good silent film experiences.

I would like to recommend five films every true film buff should own:

Carl Theodor Dreyer’s THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC
A true masterpiece on an outstanding DVD from Criterion

HÄXAN, a truly weird Swedish film from 1922 on an excellent DVD from Criterion

Jean Epstein’s THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER
Best version of the classic Poe tale on a very good DVD from All Day Entertainment

NOSFERATU
The true Draculafilm on the excellent BFI-DVD with a great new score from James Bernard (composer of the Hammer-Dracula)

THE LOST WORLD
The first Dinosaurfeature with special effects by Willis O.Brian
The Eureka and Image Entertainment are both best choice. Depends on if you’re from the States or Europe

BTW, if you want to learn more about silent film check out the documentaries and books by Kevin Brownlow.
Neil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to some of the titles above, can I add, The Unknown?

It is featured on The Lon Chaney Collection
(The Ace of Hearts/Laugh, Clown, Laugh/The Unknown/Lon Chaney - A Thousand Faces)

Chaney plays a carnival performer known as the "Armless Wonder," who performs near-miraculous stunts with his bare feet. In fact, he is in possession of both his arms, but keeps them strapped to his side to maintain the illusion of being limbless. Chaney's beautiful assistant Joan Crawford has a pathological fear of being touched by any man. This leads Chaney to believe that he is attractive to Crawford so long as his keeps his arms hidden. Halfway through the film, Chaney murders the circus manager--a crime witnessed by Crawford, who was only able to glimpse Chaney's distinctively mutated thumb. To cover up his crime, and to make himself the perfect mate for Crawford, Chaney blackmails a doctor into amputating his arms. Upon returning to the carnival, the now-genuinely armless Chaney learns to his horror that Crawford has overcome her aberration of being touched, thanks to handsome circus strong man Norman Kerry. Enraged, Chaney plots to kill Kerry in a horrible fashion.

A cracker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Odds and Sods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: