laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meet Me in St Louis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Clowes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Meet Me in St Louis Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem as me. A few weeks ago I ordered the Region 1 (2-disc) version of MEET ME IN ST LOUIS from Playusa.com only to find a few days later that the order was shown as cancelled in my Order History of the Play.com (Region 2) website. The same thing has happened about 4 times so this morning I telephoned Play.com and was told that there is some (new?) regulation which prevents them from sending US Music CDs to an address in the United Kingdom. According to them, Region 1 DVDs of musicals fall into the same category so they cannot accept my order. It seems very odd to me that I can order any other type of Region 1 DVD from them but not Musicals. Now we are all fans of Musicals but am I the only person who has encountered this problem with play.com?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: REGION ONE MUSICALS Reply with quote

Jack,

This is just another manifestation of the petty bureaucracy that casts a shadow over the purchase of Region One discs. We know it's not permitted for dealers to sell R.1 discs over the counter but it's not illegal to personally import them. This purge regarding musicals is silly and all rather pointless.

Your best course of action is to order from DVDPlanet.com ( who discount at 30% ) or Amazon.com. In both cases, you may find yourself being charged duty by the Royal Mail. But in the last three cases from DVDPlanet I wasn't charged any duty whereas with Amazon I was.

Good luck

Ken
Jack Clowes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Meet Me in St Louis - Region 1 Reply with quote

I have already ordered it from loaded247.com (formerly futureent.com) who I have used many times for Region 1 DVDs and they have confirmed my order OK. I will, however, have a look at the other sites you recommend being already very familiar with amazon.com (of course!)

Many thanks Jack
Ray Falks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: New DVD of OZ Reply with quote

I've heard it rumoured that a new and defiinitive version of WIZARD OF OZ is being planned by Warners. Is this true? If so, when will it be released ?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: new DVD of OZ Reply with quote

Dear Ray Falks,

Yes, the rumour is true. There will be an expanded and definitive special edition DVD of WIZARD OF OZ - probably released in the autumn of next year.
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: new DVD of OZ Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
Dear Ray Falks,

Yes, the rumour is true. There will be an expanded and definitive special edition DVD of WIZARD OF OZ - probably released in the autumn of next year.

More definitive than this?:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=285;5;-1;-1&sku=430361

Very Happy
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: DEFINITIVE "OZ" Reply with quote

Yes, the new Special Edition being planned for next year will be the ultimate definitive edition of WIZARD OF OZ.
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: DEFINITIVE "OZ" Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
Yes, the new Special Edition being planned for next year will be the ultimate definitive edition of WIZARD OF OZ.

My flabber has never been so gasted!
D.Prosser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Yet another OZ ? Reply with quote

I read with amazement that Warner Home Entertainment are planning to issue yet another Special Edition of WIZARD OF OZ. I've really lost count of just how many "Special" editions they have done over the years of this much-loved film. There was a special on VHS, a sumptious boxed set on laserdisc, at least two elaborate DVD box sets each with a plethora of extras. What can they do for this new one that they haven't already done ? And will this be the last one ?
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to sound miserable, but I wonder why they are spending so much time on this one film - great though it be - when so many films have yet to make it to DVD at all? Or is it just me?

Dominic
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: WIZAED OF OZ - 3 Disc edition Reply with quote

First of all, I must apologise to mcgroadster about this release. Warners have released it THIS YEAR and this is the DEFINITIVE version that George Feltenstein told me about.

In reply to Dominic's question on why they keep doing versions of WIZARD when there are so many other great films theyt could concentrate on, I can only assume because this is one of the most beloved films ever made and, like CASABLANCA, it continues to be DVD-updated from time to time.

In reply to D. Prosser's question. "Will this be the last?" Who knows?
But I think it will be the last for several years. I'm sure it will be resurrected in Blue-Ray or HD or whatever system is lurking on the horizon. The world moves on and "Wizard" moves with it.
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: 3 disc edition Reply with quote

It seems that the third disc consists of previous film versions of the Wizard and a documentary about Baum - isn't this going a bit too far? More on Judy or Harold Arlen would have been more exciting to me at least.

Dominic
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: New "Wizard" Reply with quote

The real attraction of this latest DVD package - or so Mr. Feletenstein assured me - is in the terrific new transfer which beats all previous renderings of this film. Also the soundtrack has been refurbished and remixed in 5.1. Also, I'm told the audio commentary by Garland biographer, John Fricke is packed with information and little known facts about the film and it's making. If that's not enough reason for buying it - and for some people it may not be - then stick with the version you have.
It's still a great movie.
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I'm all in favour of new transfers, new commentaries and refurbished soundtracks, but according to HMV, all that you mention is on the 2-disc set which is being released at the same time. All I was wondering is, what makes the 3-disc set 'definitive' or 'ultimate'? I'm sorry if it seems I have a strange axe to grind, when certainly nobody is forcing me to buy any of these things, but I sometimes feel that by adding an extra disc it results in putting the price up and not necessarily adding very much.

Whereas conversely, I feel that region 1 viewers of Easter Parade, That's Entertainment etc, will have missed out by not buying the region 1 versions - these contain many valuable and interesting features of the quality of your own Laureate products, and bear repeat viewings very well indeed.

I'm really not having a go at the Wizard! It's probably the fact though, that the very important aspects you mention (which are available on the 2-disc set as I understand it) are what should attract most people, and not the third disc.

Best
Dominic

Description from HMV of the 2-disc set:

Wizard Of Oz 2DVD - Special Features

New 2005 Digital Master From Restored Film Elements Using 'Ultra Resolution' Process
New Audio Commentary By Historian John Fricke With Selected Archival Audio Comments By Barbara Freed-Saltzman (Daughter Of Arthur Freed), Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Ken Darby (Orchestral And Vocal Arranger), John Lahr And More...
Restoring A Legend - Featurette
The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz - Storybook, Read By Angela Lansbury
We Haven't Really Met Properly - A Supporting Cast Profile Gallery, Narrated By Angela Lansbury
Theatrical Trailer Gallery
Outtakes And Deleted Scenes
The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz: The Making Of A Movie Classic - TV Special Hosted By Angela Lansbury
Memories Of Oz - TV Special
The Art Of Imagination: A Tribute To Oz - Documentary
Because Of The Wonderful Things It Does: The Legacy Of Oz - Documentary
Harold Arlen's On-Set Home Videos
Tornado Special Effects Tests
Off To See The Wizard - Featurette
Vintage Vault - Ffeaturettes
Extensive Stills Gallery
More Than Six Hours Of Audio-Only Treasures, Including An 'Oz Jukebox' Of Recording Session Materials, Radio Shows And Promos!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: WIZARD'S THIRD DISC. Reply with quote

Dear Dominic,

The points you make are valid in one sense. Everything on the first two discs is devoted entirely to the 1939 film, and if that's all that interests you then the 2-disc version is quite suffiicient. The third disc, however, goes further by giving you the 1925 silent version ( which has Oliver Hardy as "The Tin Man" ) plus - as I understand it, "hours of extras"

I have not, as yet, obtained either version, but as a film historian, I would plump for the three disc set. I can't see how any future version could possibly offer more. It is for this reason that I recently bought the 4-disc versions of "Gone With The Wind" and "Ben-Hur," both of which are magnificently-produced editions.

But, as the saying goes" you pays yer money and you takes yer choice."

With so much now on the market, I can well understand people needing to economise and,of course, there are customers who are not the least bity interested in audio commentaries and extras and who are quite satisfied with the just the movie. So the two-disc version is a welcome half-way house for people who fall between the two extremes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Judy Garland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: