laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seasons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Amodei Sr.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Seasons Reply with quote

Is there an update on the progress of the new "Seasons"? There must be tons of people other than me who are eagerly awaiting.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: SEASONS Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting in touch. Universal here in London are VERY keen to complete everything for a CD release of SEASONS. However, there is a slight delay due to some legal issues that need to be resolved. Rest assured that everybody is working on it.

On the subject of Bing, I have just completed a new 3-CD set derived from Bing's radio shows. It's being released later this year in the USA
on Shout Factory ( distributed by Sony ). Everybody who's heard it has been very complimentary about the sound ands the editing.

The tracks cover a span of Bing's work from 1942 to 1954 and contains many performances that have NEVER been issued commercially. Among Bing's guests you'll hear The Andrews Sisters, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and others. You also hear some of Bing's best-ever work on such ballads as " My Foolish Heart," "It's Magic" and"Blue Skies" - the latter contains a superb guitar solo from Les Paul.

I'm pleased with the results and I think everyone else will be.

Ken
S.Bradley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Bing Crosby on record and DVD Reply with quote

Dear Ken Barnes
Congratulations on a great website. I have all of your Crosby albums produced in the 1970s and their various CD reissues. In addition to this, I also bought your superb DVD presentations of HOLIDAY INN and the
ROAD pictures.

I noted with interest the forthcomong 3-CD set of Bing's radio material and the CD debut of "SEASONS." Do you have any plans for further DVDs of Bing ?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: BING ON RADIO Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest, Mark. The upcoming set is derived entirely from Bing's American broadcasts preserved on transcription discs. It has taken a good five years to put this set together what with legalities and,of course, digital restoration. I believe it will be issued around August in the USA on the Shout Factory label with an elaborate 40-page booklet on the period. UK release will come later.

I think it's something that Crosby collectors will welcome. While some of the tracks will be familiar to longtime collectors, they have never been heard to such good advantage. The restoration is quite outstanding. Other tracks will be making their first ever commercial appearance and will be much rarer and,of course, all the more welcome.

Of special interest will be the fact that we have managed to include EVERY
duet performance that Bing made with Ella Fitzgerald as well as every song that he did with Louis Armstrong on radio.

The title of the pack will be SWINGIN' WITH BING - The Lost Transcriptions.
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Ken! Looking VERY forward to these being available on remastered CDs!

Very Happy

judy
Lars

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Seasons Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to this boxed set of radio material. Sounds really great! I've been eagerly waiting for SEASONS to be released on CD. It's my very favourite Crosby album. Only today somebody pointed out that Bing recorded the title track twice - both in 1976 and 1977. What's the story behind that? "BarryB" asked whether "the 1976 version was released as a "commercial" recording at that time, or any time later? Should we consider it as one of his commercial recordings, or more or less as an alternate version?"
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING & SEASONS Reply with quote

Hi Lars,

"Swingin' with Bing" is now nearing completion. I've had some wonderful support from the International Club Crosby and from many other sources including Gonzaga University, Spokane ( Bing's old alma mater ) and Sinatra Enterprises in Los Angeles. No release date has yet been set but it will be issued in the USA before the end of the year and in the UK next year.

"Seasons" has fallen prey to a contractual problem - which Universal are trying to sort out because they do want to release it. But, for the moment, it's still on hold.

The story about there being two versions of "Seasons" is only partially true. The orchestral backing was recorded in London in July,1976 and Bing recorded the vocal in Los Angeles in October of that year. The following year - when he recorded the main sessions for the "Seasons" album in London - I had made some changes to the lyric to "Seasons" which Bing liked and he simply re-recorded two lines " The sylvan splendour of each day reveals a simple truth. Tho' life is good along the way, we've said goodbye to youth. " The rest of it remained unchanged from 1976 in Los Angeles.

Thanks for your interest.

Ken
Lars

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Seasons Reply with quote

Thanks Ken!

I never noticed the "two versions" until BarryB asked the question. I was at once intrigued. It's a great song (as is the other Becaud song "A little love and understanding"). But the whole LP is unbelievable great. There are so many great songs on this record. I recall reading part of the correspondence between you and Bing where you discussed which songs that should be included. I guess you could easily made a double LP (or a part 2) considering the many great songs that have been written in this genre. Imo there never was a better idea for a Crosby record. Counting the result. It's a close run with "Fancy meeting you here" and another favourite of mine "Songs I wish I had sung". I remember that you didn't find all the arrangements that good on the later record ((like "Blues in the night"). But it featured many great songs and Bing was in great voice (IMO). Still "Season" beats them both as it turned out great and I loved the way it was packaged. Great pictures and information (as I recall it). I hope Universal can pull it off. I know a lot of people look forward to get this particular record on CD. A friend of mine who loves Sinatra often mention SEASONS as hit favourite Crosby album - and ask me about it all the time (if it's available on CD yet). He also admits that Bing sounded a lot better in his later years than Sinatra did. I've always felt that Bing changed the way he performed the songs after his voice abilities in later years while Frank thought he sounded as good as he did 3 years earlier and kept trying to hit the notes far out of his range. Thanks again for your reply. I passed it on to BarryB who first raised the question.

I look forward to SWINGING WITH BING. It sounds great indeed. It will be great to get all the duets with Fitzgerald and Armstrong in better sound than ever. Some of the recording I've got before of these performances leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to sound (or even a balanced speed). It's really great to be collecting Bing because there's always more to find more to look for.... Always another movie that you haven't found yet. Some TV-shows that turn up somewhere and loads of material recorded for radio. Not mentioning the commercial recordings. We are fortunate that Bing never was as lazy as he said he was.

And I appreciate that you take the time to answer all questions like his. Thanks again.

Lars
BarryB

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Seasons Reply with quote

Hello Ken:

I noticed that Lars has mentioned me in connection with the Seasons song from the album, and I wish to thank you for clearing up the mystery about two versions. Perhaps just the first listing from 1976 was needed, but it appears every time Bing vocalized anything it went on record in more ways than one. On listening to the song again I can see why the insertion of the two new lines has gone undetected for more than 27 years. Very well done.

I have an Idea , inspired by your emoticons. Major attractions of the Seasons album were the seasonal photographs and the gate-fold design. How about a foldout cover for the CD with those photographs in miniature? It would attract attention for sure. Maybe it would become known as Bing's 'Vivaldi' album. Well, I'm not here to tell you how to produce albums, but it was just a thought. Thanks for your enlightening response about "Seasons."
Greg Van Beek

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Seasons Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

Now my curiosity is peaked...can you tell us what the original two lines were from Seasons that Bing changed in 1977?

Also, I understand Bing was planning on performing this song at the Royal Variety Tribute to Queen Elizabeth II at the London Palladium November 21, 1977. He must've had a great fondness for it. I believe Bing was to have co-hosted this event with Bob Hope.

Thanks for solving these little mysteries for us! Smile

Best regards,
Greg
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: SEASONS CHANGES Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Thanks for looking in on our website. You asked me what the original lyric lines were. It's been nearly 30 years and I didn't keep a record of what I'd written - but I believe it was something like this.

"With falling leaves reminding me that youthful times have flown,
the challenge of the passing years brings pleasures of its own "

I do recall, when Bing recorded this in L.A. in October of '76, I wasn't totally happy with this particular couplet. So, in September of the following year,when we were recording the "Seasons" album, I showed Bing my revised lyric and he agreed that it was an improvement. So I pulled out the original multi-track and he re-recorded just those lines. I asked him if he would re-do the whole song. He listened to what he had sung the year before and said " I don't see any need for that." So he just sang my revised couplet and that was that.

By the way, there's still a question hanging over the CD release of the "Seasons" album. I don't know what the problem is but I doubt if we'll see it issued this year. But August this year will see the release in the USA of the three CD set "Swingin' With Bing - The Lost Radio Transcriptions." It'll be issued on Shout Factory ( distributed by Sony ). The UK release will come later.

Best regards
Ken
Mark J. Bakker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Seasons / Crosby Albums Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

It's such a pity that 'Seasons' has been delayed again. So many of us have waited for so long to have this album on CD. My original LP is now almost unplayable! I'm hoping that Universal will clear up the contractual issues quickly. So many people want this album on CD it must be a candidate for the CD album 'Charts' (if that matters!).
As you know, Bing recorded around 30 long playing albums between 1953 and 1977. Along with 'Seasons' many of these albums have never been released on CD, or at best, have been released on CD in Japan or elsewhere and are very difficult to find.

LE BING
SONGS I WISH I HAD SUNG (Japan)
BING AND SATCHMO (Japan)
HOLIDAY IN EUROPE (Japan)
THE SONGS I LOVE (Available on a privately made CD only)
HEY JUDE HEY BING
BING N' BASIE (Was on CD at some point)
A SOUTHERN MEMOIR
BINGO VIEJO
FEELS GOOD, FEELS RIGHT (Was on CD at some point)

Perhaps some of the above are deserving of the 'Ken Barnes Touch' in the future. Certainly some of the recordings that Bing made with the Longines Orchestra (The Songs I Love) deserve the full CD treatment.
How about a 2 on 1 of 'Holiday in Europe' and 'Le Bing' ? Two albums well suited for a 'twofer'.
I'm looking forward to the 3 CD set of radio material. Good to hear that the sound quality is good as some of these radio releases can be a bit hit and miss. 'Crescendo' released 2 CD's of Crosby radio material that are excellent quality.
Thanks Ken for your continued efforts for all we Bing fans!
Mark Bakker
Bristol
United Kingdom
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: "SEASONS" BING ON CD Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for your continued interest. I don't know why Universal are having a problem in clearing "Seasons" for CD. It may have something to do with the Crosby estate's curent litigation against Universal. Let's hope it gets cleared up soon.

The strange thing is that the "Seasons" title track has already been issued on the compilation "Forever Bing." Go figure !

The 3-CD set is in very good shape and it will have a 40-page booklet that is quite elaborate. I think you'll like it.

Best
Ken
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken! What's the latest on "Season" and the radio duets?

your pal,
judy
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Seasons & Radio stuff Reply with quote

Hi Judy,

"Seasons" is still held up with contractual problems. The radio material will be issued in the USA on August 24 under the title
"Swingin' With Bing" -The Lost Radio Performances.

Good luck
Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: