laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memories of Bing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Clowes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Memories of Bing Reply with quote

When I was quite young in the late 40's and early 50's Bing's voice could be heard all the time in my house and although I thought it pleasant I guess I came to take it for granted. Then suddenly, around 1953, I heard the results of Sinatra's first collaboration with Nelson Riddle after he went to Capitol. I can still recall stopping in my tracks the first time I heard I'VE GOT THE WORLD ON A STRING and I became a huge fan. Of course, Bing was still around making some pleasing records but he didn't have Nelson Riddle to complement him.
In the late 60s/early 70s I started collecting records from around the early 30s and once again I discovered Bing. But this was I different Bing than the one I knew - this man was light years ahead of any of the other solo male singers at the time - if you want proof try and listen to his recording of DINAH with the Mills Brothers. So I collected everything of Bing's I could lay my hands on from that period even though I was not buying his contemporary records.
In 1976 a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go with him to see Bing at the London Palladium but I wasn't too enthusiastic because Bing was 73 at the time and I thought he'd be past it. However when my friend told me that Rosemary Clooney was appearing with him I changed my mind. So, on a hot Summer evening I sat in the London Palladium and witnessed an amazing performance by this man who was streets ahead of what most 35 year olds could do!
I was incredibly fortunate to have witnessed this performance and the whole point of this long boring waffle is to ask whether anyone might have filmed one of his Palladium performances (I have the CD which was made) and if so, wonder if it might ever be released so that today's public can see what the term "Old Master" really means.
Malcolm Macfarlane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Bing at the Palladium Reply with quote

Sorry Jack, I don't believe that anyone filmed Bing's performance at the Palladium. The nearest we can get is to see a video of his Pasadena concert in March 1977 and his Norway performance in August 1977. Videos of these performances can probably be picked up from collectors.

Malcolm Macfarlane - Editor - BING magazine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: