laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE SKY'S THE LIMIT (RKO 1943)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: THE SKY'S THE LIMIT (RKO 1943) Reply with quote

This is one of the very few Fred Astaire films I never managed to see at all so far. Commentaries I read on THE SKY'S THE LIMIT are very ambivalent. It is considered to be as an average B musical as well as a work with exceptional values in the canon of Fred Astaire's films. As one of Fred's less known films, in any case I suppose I'm not the only one who would like to get familiar with it.

Although it's available as NTSC videotape in the US, in those days people are not too much ambitious to buy vhs tapes of questionable quality in a foreign video standard. And to be honest, although I can play them, so am I. One has to be careful already with NTSC DVDs of not well known films (and I guess the well known films are owned by most collectors in any form anway, so unknown rarities would be the only ones one would buy). Any NTSC video tape I ever bought was bad and of low quality which couldn't keep up from far with the standards I'm used to from German TV and European videos I bought before DVD was introduced.

So how about giving this movie a full Laureate DVD treatment in the manner of SECOND CHORUS and ROYAL WEDDING with contribution of Ava Astaire McKenzie ? Who would appreciate that, too ?

Best, Christoph
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: The Sky's The Limit Reply with quote

It's always interesting to get the views of both Christoph and Mark on any film but in regard to "The Sky's The Limit, " I'm surprised firstly that Christoph has never seen this film and that,secondly, Mark rates it so lowly.

Personal preference is a strange thing indeed. The curator of the Fred Astaire website www.fredastaire.net has listed "The Sky's The Limit"
as his No 1 best ever Astaire film. ( No, I couldn't believe it either )

While it's certainly not the best Astaire vehicle, I would rate it at least as high as "You'll Never Get Rich" and certainly a lot higher than "Let's Dance." What it does have to commend it is a fine score by Johnny Mercer and Harold Arlen that includes "My Shining Hour" and "One For My Baby" - the latter is one of Fred's most imaginative solo dances.

Would I like to do a DVD of it ? Of course. But, as always, such choices are the domain of Universal and, at the moment, I'm hoping they will want to do a second box set of Fred and Ginger.

Ken
Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like The Sky's the Limit very much. It's an unusual Astaire film. It makes the most real mention of the war going on from his films, and gives it a really dark feel. He also employs a rather witty, wisecracking character. Robert Benchley has a funny supporting role, including a mild impression of Astaire eating his apple, a memorable moment. Mr. Barnes was right about the incredible solo at the end of the film. It's amazing to see the dancing on top of the bar, it's a drunk dance, though much more serious feeling than the one in Holiday Inn. It would be a good choice for DVD in my opinion, I feel that way about all of his other RKO films as well, now that I think of it. And it definitely rates above the previously mentioned Finian's Rainbow and Let's Dance (aside from the "Piano Dance").
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all you comments. Of course, I read the review at www.fredastaire.net. And also Ken's and Ryan's opinions make me feel that THE SKY'S THE LIMIT would be a movie for me to appreciate and enjoy very much. I will see in which way I can get across it.

I have seen FINIANS RAINBOW only once many years ago, aged 8 or so. I remember it most for being screened almost in its correct Panavision apect ratio on TV, which was a very unusual thing that time in the early 80s. But certainly I didn't know anything about that kind of technical specs yet. I guess I liked it, but I would need to have another view to be able to make up a reasonable opinion on it from today's point of view.

LET'S DANCE is a movie I always liked and have no special criticism about. It's lightweight, entertaining, fun to watch although it may not rank among the highlights of Fred's movies.
Dominic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: The Sky's the Limit/Let' Dance Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I think TSTL is rather an impressive film. And I have to agree that the 'One for My Baby' solo is absolutely ingenious - just when you think you've seen everything that Astaire can do, he pulls something like this out of the bag. I find it a slightly sinister performance, plumbing deeper and perhaps more realistic emotions than was sometimes the case in Fred's earlier musicals.

And on the subject of 'Let's Dance', I think I have praised it before. No it's not one of the best Astaire films, but as usual the musical numbers are worthwhile.

Incidentally, I really like the new message board - I have had the flu all week and have only just seen it for the first time!

Best wishes to all
Dominic
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SKY'S THE LIMIT seems to be available on DVD in Japan (NTSC DVD):

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=IVCF-2159

But what one would have to expect by such a disc ? Does anybody know ? It's quite expensive I think and you won't know what you finally get. I would prefer a Laureate DVD much more.

There are some other Astaire movies on DVD ion Japan including SHALL WE DANCE, CAREFREE, SECOND CHORUS, HOLIDAY INN, ROYAL WEDDING. There is also a "GOLDEN BOX" box which contains TOP HAT, THE GAY DIVORCEE, FOLLOW THE FLEET, SWINGTIME and THE STORY OF VERNON AND IRENE CASTLE.
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I gave in. I admit it. It's true about the Japanese subtitles being unremovable, also I'd rate the picture quality slightly less than the VHS I already had. Since it has no extra features I wouldn't at all recommend it, unless you must have every DVD out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ryan,

So that's what I thought. Thanks for pointing this out.

Best, Christoph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: