laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favourite movie.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C.K.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen ''Call Northside 777'' before. But ''Mr Smith Goes To Washington'' was an excelent film, although my favourite of his is ''The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance''.
Bill Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: My Top 10 James Stewarts Reply with quote

Thwe great Jimmy Stewart never gave a bad performance - and his choice of scripts was by and large very discriminating. Here are my favourites: ( not in any particular order of merit )

1. It's A Wonderful Life
2. Anatomy of a Murder
3. Winchester 73
4. Flight of the Phoenix
5. The Philadelphia Story
6. Call Northside 777
8. The Shop Around the Corner
9. Destry Rides Again
10. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

I could easily name another 10 without any effort at all and I wouldn't even need to mention Harvey. Mr. Stewart was a star whose track record across the decades was virtually flawless.
Paul Seiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: James Stewart 2nd 11 Reply with quote

How's this for a continuation ?

You Can't Take It With You
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
The Glenn Miller Story
Where The River Bends ( Bend of the River )
The Far Country
The Man From Laramie
Malaya
No Highway ( very underrated )
Bell Book and Candle
Spirit of St. Lous
Vertigo ( probably his best-ever performance )
J. Burge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Stewart boxed sets Reply with quote

I'd like to see all the major companies do boxed sets of James Stewart in much the same way as they have John Wayne. Then we'd get the best of this great actor's work in a fully itemised reference form. But I don't suppose it will happen because the major companies don't seem to talk to each other.

Still we do have Universal's excellent Hitchcock Collection which gives us all four of Stewart's films for the master of suspense. "Rope"(1948),"Rear Window" (1954), "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and "Vertigo"(1958). So that takes care of one aspect of this great actor's career. Now, how about Universal doing a box set of his Westerns ? For example "Destry Rides Again" (1939), "Winchester '73" (1950), "Bend of the River"(1952) "The Far Country" (1954). Then follow it up with a volume 2 that could contain "Night Passage"(1957),"Shenandoah" (1965) and "The Rare Breed"(1966)

It probably won't happen - but at least it's a thought.
M.Morris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: James Stewart Reply with quote

What a pleasure it is to find a website like Laureate that covers all the movies and the music that I love.

The call for a James Stewart box set is long overdue. I've never met anyone who doesn't like Stewart's work and with the continued popularity of "It's A Wonderful Life," why isn't there a box set of his films ? I wouldn't mind if it's comedies, dramas or westerns because he excels in any genre.
James M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Call Northside 777" is due for special edition treatment in the Fox noirs series.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Call Northside 777 Reply with quote

And about time too !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R. I. P. Ruth Hussey (1911-2005)

co-star of James Stewart's in "The Philadelphia Story"
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: RUTH HUSSEY(1911-2005 ) Reply with quote

A fine actress. Attractive, versatile, comedic, dramatic. She always delivered a good performance. The recent 2-disc DVD of "The Philadelphia Story" is as good an example of her work as one can find right now. Hopefully more will come.
J. Connelly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: A James Stewart Box set Reply with quote

When are we going to get a James Stewart Box Set ? His track record as an actor is almost without blemish because he chose his scripts carefully and worked successfully in a number of genres - comedy, westerns, thrillers and even musicals. The trouble is he spread his work around a number of different studios which makes it difficult to get a fully representative box set of his work. But Fox could do a nice cross section with "Call Northside 777," "Broken Arrow," "No Highway" ( a much neglected masterpiece ) and "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation." Universal could give us a box of great Westerns "Destry Rides Again," "Winchester 73," "Bend of the River" and "The Far Country" "Night Passage" and "Shenandoah" and MGM ( now Warners ) could give us "The Shop Around The Corner," "No Time For Comedy," "Malaya" and "THe Naked Spur." How's that for starters ?

Any takers ? No,of course not. But I can dream.can't I ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Voice Reply with quote

You sound rather stressed. Surprised)
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Stressed ? Reply with quote

How nice to have your prognosis. Now, can we get back to talking about movies ?
jim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: james stewart Reply with quote

Impossible to decide on one that I like the best, but definately Flight of the pheonix, Rear window, Harvey, It's a wonderful life, and The man who shot Liberty Valence.
Not too many of his movies come to mind that I didnt like except for Rope, The naked spur, and one very forgettable one that I cant even recall the name of. In the movie he took his family on vacation to a beach house.
It was supposed to be some kind of light hearted comedy but didn't deliver.
Mr. Stewart remains one of my favorite actors, and we need more like him today.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you are right man! Sad
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched ANATOMY OF A MURDER on TV-superb!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> James Stewart All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: