laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gene Kelly rarity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L.M.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Gene Kelly rarity Reply with quote

Is there any chance of you producing a widescreen DVD of the Gene Kelly musical "It's Always Fair Weather" ? I've heard a lot about this film but I've never seen it. Some people say it's better than "On The Town."
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: It's Always Fair Weather Reply with quote

Dear L.M.

I think Mark Fisk has covered things pretty well. Check out the film on TCM and you'll see that it's a pretty satisfying musical. Although, I doubt you'll appreciate it fully unbtil you've viewed it in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

When I worked with Gene Kelly back in the 1970s, he told me that this was his first time directing in CinemaScope and he wanted to use ALL of the frame. He realised later that this was a mistake because whenever the film was shown on 4.3 TV one of the three main characters would be out of frame. Much of the appeal of the dance sequences - in which Kelly appears with Dan Dailey and Michael Kidd - can only be enjoyed when seen in their original form.

The film has an excellent score by Andre Previn with a super script and lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green and if it isn't quite as good as "On The Town" it's pretty close and,in some ways, it has travelled the years more easily than "Town." The script has an underlying cynicism and an occasional aura of bitterness that was out of step with 1950s musicals but seems very appropriate today. In this respect, it was ahead of its time.

Also in the cast are Cyd Charisse ( terrific in the Stillman's Gym sequence )and Dolores Gray. In Dailey and Kidd, Gene Kelly has much better dance partners than Sinatra and Munshin (in "On The Town"), althouugh Michael Kidd's vocals were dubbed by Jud Conlon ( of the Jud Conlon Rhythmaires - often heard on the Bing Crosby radio shows and recordings ).

So take a look at it on TCM and jusr hope that it eventually makes DVD in its full widescreen glory and Dolby Digital 5.1. It makes an able companion to "On The Town" and is an important part of the Gene Kelly canon. Maybe one of these days Warner Home Video will feel the same.

Ken
Leonard Malcom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Gene Kelly-Fair Weather Reply with quote

To Ken Barnes and Mark Fisk.

Thanks for your helpful comments and advice. "It's Always Fair Weather" is an excellent and enjoyable musical. But It does need to be seen in its full 2.35:1 aspect.

I hope we get a properly mastered DVD soon.

Regards
L.M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: