laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Big Country

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Wellings

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: The Big Country Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Barnes,

The high standard of your DVD presentations leads me to ask if you could possibly undertake a special edition of William Wyler's "The Big Country" (1958). To my mind, this is one of the most satisfying Westerns ever made and certainly one of the most popular films starring the late
Gregory Peck.

The marvellous Copland-inspired score by Jerome Moross is something of a milestone in film music and there is so much about this film that lends itself to proper DVD presentation. The current DVD offers only the film and does not do full justice to its subject. I'm thinking that it deserves the kind of treatment that you gave to
"Citizen Kane."

F.W.
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: The Big Country Reply with quote

Dear Fred Wellings,

I agree that William Wyler's "The Big Country" is a cinematic masterpiece. A sinple story beautifully told against a sprawling canvas of memorable locations and action set-pieces. The cast is first rate and director,Wyler makes every scene come alive in a subtle unexaggerated way. And, as you say, the score by Jerome Moross is certainly an inspired piece of work that underscores the film perfectly.

Yes, this is certainly one film that cries out for a Special Edition DVD treatment. I think when it was first issued on DVD a couple or so years ago, the market had not developed sufficiently to justify anything but a straight release. Today, with the market expanding as fast as it is, there may be a good case for a more dedicated presentation.

I'll try and look into this.

Thanks for bringing this up

Regards
Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: