laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Fabulous Dorseys (Alfred E. Green 1947)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: The Fabulous Dorseys (Alfred E. Green 1947) Reply with quote

I just noticed that this public domain title is now available on DVD from Critics' Choice as Region 1 release. I didn't find any review about the quality of this particular DVD but I read on other Critics' releases that you won't have to expect too much. On the other hand qualities may vary and this disc even has an extra short, which is not too much convenient for public domain releases.

http://www.ccvideo.com/item.cfm?itemid=CCD001010

Does anybody own this DVD and may say a few words on the quality ? Or is there a better way to see that film ? There are several VHS releases also one perhaps may be better than the DVD ? I'm afraid many of the pd titles will never be available as a really good release.

What is the movie like itself ? I always wanted to see it, but never have so far. But I saw a clip of "How am I to know" including Bob Eberly and Helen O'Connell long ago I liked very much and always supposed it to be an excerpt from the movie. In this clip an elderly lady was shown in several close-ups watching the performance. But I can't remember today if it was Sara Allgood, who played the Dorseys mother in the film.

Thanks, Christoph
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: The Fabulous Dorseys Reply with quote

Hi Christoph,

The 1947 film is no masterpiece. The main points of interest are (A) the music and (B) the fact that Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey play themselves. The script is a silly and highly fictionalised reflection of their careers. And it's made even sillier by the addition of a play-it-safe love story featuring two young, good looking romatic leads (Janet Blair and William Lundigan). You are right,
Sarah Allgood did play the Dorsey's mother.

Bob Eberly and Helen O'Connell did appear in the film but I can't remember if they sang "How Am I To Know." They certainly did sing "Green Eyes." This and a lot of other famous hits were performed in the film. Amd the real highlight is a jam session sequence featuring Art Tatum and
several other jazz greats.

While it's not a good film, it is an interesting curiosity.
I've not seen the DVD or any of the VHS releases, so I can't recommend any of them for quality.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Ken
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Fabulous Dorseys Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

thanks for you quick response. Now I'm aware that I did a mistake. Actually the clip I saw was "Marie", not "How am I to know". I think I'll dare to buy the disc.

Best,

Christoph
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now just before going to place an order I had to learn, that there is an upcoming UK release of THE FABULOUS DORSEYS:

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000087436

Does anybody know about the Label Quantum Leap Group Ltd. and what kind of quality one would have to expect for this disc ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Odds and Sods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: