laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fred & Ginger - The Roads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Merson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger - The Roads Reply with quote

I was delighted with the contents of the two boxed sets as I am with all Laureate productions. Ken Barnes has produced these with the same loving care as he did on " Meet John Doe" "The Bounty" and "Citizen Kane." My only grumble is the way the discs have been packaged. I generally like the fold-over system - as done by Warner Brothers - in their Ealing Comedy Classics( housed in a sturdy box ) but Universal seem to have taken a cheapskate approach by putting these in a rather flimsy fold-over system that opens easily enough but is difficult to close without forcing the discs back into position.

I hope this will be improved on their next set of boxed discs.

J.M.
Alan Moorehouse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: The new boxed sets Reply with quote

I agree with Mr. Merson that Universal's packaging leave room for improvement but while the Ealing Comedy Classics
may have sturdier packaging, they don't have any extras - the introductions by Fred Astaire's daughter (to the Fred and Ginger set), the gorgeously designed moving menus and chapters, the highly readable production notes by Ken Barnes. All of these put the Ealing sets in the shade.

So let's hope that next time Universal's packaging matches the contents. But to be honest when I'm looking at DVDs this good I don't think about the packaging.( the Road
movies have never looked better ).
R.Meadows

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Packaging Reply with quote

I agree with Alan Moorehouse that Universal's packaging is flimsy and slightly awkward compared with Warner Brothers box sets but the actual design, like the discs, is actually superior.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of the discs unfolding into a 4-point cross which can be cumbersome if you open up on a small or a crowded table. A much better idea would be to have them open up from left to right in a straight line.
Some labels are already doing this. Warners and Universal please take notice.

R.M.
T. McMullen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Road To, Fred & Ginger Reply with quote

I'd like to say thanks for these two wonderful box sets.
But if it wasn't for the Laureate website, I would never have known about them. Hooray for Laureate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Boxed Sets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: