laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD Regions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Got a Technical Question about Laureate's DVDs?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elliott Saperstein

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: DVD Regions Reply with quote

I first discovered the Laureate website about 18 months ago when every thing that Ken Barnes was producing was Region Free and mostly NTSC. Today - since working with Universal - all the DVDs are in Region 2 and PAL. This makes things awkward for us American collectors who tend to be stuck with NTSC screens and Region 1 players. Is there any chance of this situation changing ?

E.S
Phil Jellicoe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Regions Reply with quote

Tell American Elliot Saperstein to invest in a multi standard sceen ( NTSC=PAL=Secam) and convert his DVD player to a region free setting. Then he will be able to view not only current and future Laureate productions but anything from anywhere in the world

PJ
Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: I concur Reply with quote

I purchased a new DVD player a year ago, so I could watch the Laureate Fred Astaire movies here in Florida. The player was rather inexpensive (less so than Holiday Inn, Second Chorus and Royal Wedding put together Smile ). It will play the PAL discs just fine on my NTSC television. What delightful issues I would have missed out on without it. I think Mr. Barnes did marvelous work, putting together outstanding prints of pictures that are often given shoddy, bargain-basement treatment here in the States. His and Mrs. Mackenzie's insights were very wonderful to hear. If Mr. Barnes were to write a book, I'd certainly buy it. I'm also looking forward to the Astaire/Rogers DVD's which have been dispatched my way from Amazon.uk, but are not here of yet.
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: PAL on NTSC TV Reply with quote

Dear Ryan,

On behalf of Ava Astaire McKenzie and myself, I thank you for your kind comments on our efforts. I'm sure you'll find the Fred and Ginger package rewarding.

I believe that your DVD player purchase would be of interest to a good many of our American visitors to the Laureate website. Could you please let us know the make and model?

Regards
Ken Barnes
Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: DVD player Reply with quote

"I believe that your DVD player purchase would be of interest to a good many of our American visitors to the Laureate website. Could you please let us know the make and model?"

I'd be glad to, it is the Cyberhome CH-DVD 500 Progressive-Scan model. I bought it at this link, if it helps anyone:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006JBJY/ref=ase_dealtime-ce-feed-20/002-8161344-7280819?v=glance&s=electronics
I haven't found a dvd yet that it won't play. I have PAL discs of the three Astaire pictures, as well as a Chaplin collection, which all display fine on my television. They have raised the price 10.00 usd since the time of my purchase, but as regards the "Order now to get in line" remark, it also said that when I placed my order and I had the player within a week.

Ryan
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: DVD Region Free player Reply with quote

Thanks Ryan for your information. I'll pass this on to other U.S. customers.

Much appreciated

Ken
Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Astaire/Rogers DVDs Reply with quote

Ken, I am definitely enjoying the Astaire/Rogers DVD collection. It goes without saying that the quality of the pictures is top of the line, and the packaging (with the exception of the previously mentioned typos on the back) was also very nice. The little poster cards and images on the packaging itself were great. Thank you for having such a fine DVD collection released. Astaire musicals are very hard to find on the DVD format. I thorougly enjoyed the pictures' introductions by Ava Mackenzie. A lot of thought and careful attention were obviously put into these intros. I liked the inclusion of Astaire's letters, and especially the slowed down image of the smack in the face Astaire got while shooting "Let's Face the Music and Dance". I really enjoyed the running commentary you did on the three previous Astaire DVDs, if you were to do them with any future releases they would certainly be fun to hear your rapport with Ava Mackenzie once again. It may never happen, but I think a commentary with yourself and author John Mueller would be remarkably interesting. Once again, thank you for the release, you can be sure of my purchase for any further relases if they come to pass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Got a Technical Question about Laureate's DVDs? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: