laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deanna Durbin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Deanna Durbin Reply with quote

I noticed an item on a list of upcoming DVD releases for October of a box set of Deanna Durbin movies.

Any ideas which ones or who is producing them? It's about time she got some attention!

Dominic
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: DEANNA DURBIN on DVD? Reply with quote

Dear Dominic,

I have just had a production meeting with Universal Pictures in London ( who own all of the Durbin feature films. There are no plans at present either here or in the USA to do a boxed set of Deanna Durbin. This is not to say that it couldn't happen in the future.

As of right now, it would be interesting to find out who is doing the set of which you speak - because the copyright owners have no knowledge of it.

Thanks

Ken Barnes
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Durbin Reply with quote

Dear Ken

According to the Choices Direct website (www.choicesdirect.co.uk) there is a Deanna Durbin DVD and video boxset to be released on 6/10/03. It is priced at around £50 (preorder) so perhaps one could expect five titles? Also mentioned is a Gracie Fields boxset for the same amount of money, released on DVD and video on 1/9/03.

The website is usually extremely reliable on forthcoming releases, although they do often put back the release dates. I have emailed them to ask the contents of the set and the production company. I will let you know the response.

May I remind you that I am still itching for a Laureate release of 'Top Hat'!

(Only kidding!)

Best wishes

Dominic
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Deanna & Top Hat Reply with quote

Hi Dominic,

Interesting that there should be a box set on D.D. It must be a licensing deal with Universal.

On the subject of TOP HAT. Yes, it's coming ( and a lot more besides ), Hopefully, this year. Full news on forthcoming releases will be posted within the next month or so in Coming Soon.

We've just been so busy here that we've had no time to update the website. But, you can be assured, great things are happening.

Thanks for your continued interest.

Best
Ken
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: More on Deanna Reply with quote

Dear Ken,

Here is the reply:

'The distributor of this title is known as 'DD Distribution'.

The titles that are in this set are as follows;
100 Men And A Girl
Mad About Music
Three Smart Girls
Because Of Him
Christmas Holiday'

I only know 'DD Distribution' through a couple of sets of videos about the First and Second World Wars - and I seem to remember that they send out a catalogue of various classic films and television dramas on video and DVD which they clearly do not produce.

I hope this is of some help

Regards
Dominic
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Deanna Durbin boxed set Reply with quote

Dominic,

Universal informed me that that, due to lack of customer interest, rights to those Deanna Durbin films were sold on to Changesdirect. It will be interesting to see the REAL
market appeal of Miss Durbin.

I wish them good luck

Ken
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: DEANNA DURBIN Reply with quote

It's interesting that Universal USA are finally releasing these D.D. movies on DVD. Putting three films on each disc may not be as risky as you think. Of course, it will depend on the bit-rate. But you mentioned the Crosby series as having two films on each disc - but in some cases this was with one film on each side. It may be, in this case, that you'll get two films on one side and a third on side 2.

I'm sure Universal would not risk jeopardising the quality. But it means that "extras" will be absent or,at least, minimal.

Sounds interesting though.

Ken
NORTHWEST

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just seen the Deanna Durbin Sweetheart Pack Region 1 release and I am pleased with the quality.
These 6 films represent my only 6 films I have seen of Ms Durbin's, largely because she seems to have been ignored on British TV. I can't remember the BBC showing one of her titles ever?
In all I believe that Ms Durbin made just over 20 films and I am hopeful that the remaining titles will be released on either region 1 or 2!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Deanna Durbin Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that the six Universal Durbin films are well presented. If they sell in sufficient quantities there is every reason to expect further titles on DVD.

Last year, I asked Universal UK if they would be interested in doing a Deanna box set. They told me there was no interest from dealers in this country. Why they think that the dealers are the best judges of what is commercial I don't know. As far as I can see the retailers have little or no knowledge of classic films and their opinions ( if they exist ) are certainly not to be trusted.

As you know, a private company in this country did do a box set of Miss Durbin. I don't know if it enjoyed large sales, but if it did then maybe the same company may do a second release.

The DVD market is certainly on the increase. Currently 67 % of UK households have a DVD player - and that must take in a wide area of different tastes. So keep your fingers crossed. Anything can happen.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: spam Reply with quote

Thanks, but no thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Odds and Sods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: