laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battle of Britain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul McMaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Battle of Britain Reply with quote

Hi Ken and Laureate fans

I thought I'd have another go at convincing you to take a look at "Battle of Britain" - I know you're busy for the immediate future - but maybe when you finish with 'Kane?

Here are some reasons I think it would make an ideal Laureate production...

It's not available at all on DVD (-yet, and I hope no inferior outfit spots it first!)

Loads of well-known stars - Olivier, Caine, Fox, Plummer, Jurgens (Even Ian "Lovejoy" McShane) Some of whom are still around and might be persuaded to contribute.

Memorable music - Two big name composers, Ron Goodwin and Sir William Walton (and an interesting back-story there!)

Spectacular aerial stuff – a "making of" in itself! (What happened to all the Spitfires, Hurricanes, Messerschmitts etc., camera ship was a WW2 B25 bomber, models radio control & full size etc.)

Spectacular set pieces too – they really blew up bits of Duxford!

Wealth of stills/memorabilia available (Try Robert J Rudhall’s books – especially "Battle of Britain – The Movie" ISBN 0-951832-9-6) and probably limitless support available from the UK's aviation community
Check out www.ianallansuperstore.com if you need proof that there's a real business in aviation enthusiasts! (and they're all techhy DVD owning types too)

Every aviation museum and airshow in the country a potential outlet!

Sorry to go on at length but I do really think the movie deserves a QUALITY release on DVD.

What do the other message board contributors think - am I a lone voice in the wilderness?

Cheers
Paul
KEN BARNES

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Your enthusiasm for "Battle of Britain" is admirable and I think you're right. It would make a thrilling DVD.

As you know,at the moment, I'm right in the middle of "Citizen Kane" - which I'm hoping will be seen as the definitive edition of this one-of-a-kind classic.

When that's over, I'll make an approach to MGM-UA's London office and see how they feel about it.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Sincerely
Ken
Paul McMaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Battle of Britain Reply with quote

Thanks Ken, I'm keeping everything crossed - put me down for the first copy!

By the way I got Holiday Inn for Christmas, after dropping some heavy hints and then came across Meet John Doe in HMV in Belfast (Thought I was going to have to mail order it)
They're both excellent - I'm just glad I managed to get Charade before it disappeared.

Looking forward to Kane (and Battle of Britain if you can swing it!)
Paul
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: BATTLE OF BRITAIN Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Good to hear from you. I don't know if MGM -Europe have done all the extras you suggested but I understand that they're doing a more elaborate version than the American release.

Re. CHARADE. It's still available over here, but later this year, Laureate will be doing a more expanded version for an American release which will probably be a 2-disc set. This is a few months away - the deal isn't finalised yet. But we'll put it up on the NEWS and COMING SOON sections in due course.

Best
Ken
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: BATTLE OF BRITAIN Reply with quote

Does the new Battle of Britain DVD contain interviews with the stars ?
Does it have an audio commentary ? And is it being presented in anamorphic wide screen with Dolby Digital 5.1 ?

Bill Cunningham
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: BATTLE OF BRITAIN Reply with quote

In reply to Bill Cunnigham. Firstly, Bill, could I suggest that you contact the website through the normal address www.laureatedvd.com
We seem to be having some teething troubles and I've had a couple of e-mails come through via an odd route.

Now, to your questions. While I'm sure that MGM will be releasing Battle of Britain in wide screen and anamorphic ( which is the modern professional way to go ), I'm not sure if the soundtrack will be in 5.1 - but they have certainly put the Walton score on a separate track. I will ask them about it. When I get an answer I'll post it on this forum.

Thanks
Ken
Mike Cowan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: BATTLE OF BRITAIN Reply with quote

I see there's a Region 1 DVD of Battle of Britain released recently in the USA. Is this the same as the forthcoming UK Region 2 version ?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: BATTLE OF BRITAIN Reply with quote

Dear Mike,

From what I can gather from an e-mail received from Mr. Joe Simpson
( of MGM Home Video-Europe ), the Region 2 DVD of "The Battle of Britain" will be a more elaborate release than the current U.S. Region 1
issue which is just a movie only release.

So save your money for the UK release in late May-early June. I'm looking forward to this one myself.

Ken
Ron Mayhew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Battle of Briatain Reply with quote

Like many of you, I'm looking forward to MGM-UA's new DVD of "Battle of Britain." But with box sets becoming more and more popular, this particular label could do a really bumper box with "The Bridge at Remagen," "The Devil's Brigade," "633 Squadron" (which may not be great but it has Ron Goodwin's superb score)," Where Eagles Dare" and, just to top thing off nicely, "The Great Escape."

R.M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: