laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deserved praise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Other Laureate DVDs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Deserved praise Reply with quote

I was really happy to see that The Sunday Times had included a review of 'Holiday Inn' yesterday, and especially that it is given three stars meaning 'outstanding.' The reviewer - who wastes a lot of time on matters other than the film - concludes with these triumphant sentiments:

'This superbly restored DVD includes an excellent audio commentary, as well as profiles. One for the library.'

Clearly the research put into release is universally appreciated - it's nice to see such deserved public acclaim for it.

Dominic
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Ken Barnes Reply with quote

Hi Dominic,
Yes, I picked up on the Sunday Times review of "Holiday Inn." It was very positive and, I'm sure, has helped to increase the sales which are currently moving nicely.

I thank the reviewer for his kind words but must point out that he is yet another journalist who believes the fairy tale that Elton John's "Candle in the Wind" actually outsold Bing's "White Christmas." Not true. Bing is still ahead by around 14 million. But who's counting ? There's room for everyone.

Thanks
Ken
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: No. 1 Single Reply with quote

Yes, I read about the stupid suggestion that Bing was second to Elton. I was going to comment on it but didn't want to go on about it for too long.

Where do you think the rumour came from? Do they mean the fastest-selling of all time? Or perhaps the biggest in the UK? I would love to know so that I can put people right...

Dominic
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Official sales figues-Elton vs Bing Reply with quote

Dominic,

It would be true to say that Elton John's "Candle" was the fastest-selling single ever. The published figures for this single were 33 million worldwide. The newspaper swiftly compared this with a 1960 figure on "White Christmas" of 25 million and concluded erroneously that "Candle" was the all-time champ. ( it made good copy ) But I was informed by a reliable source that the sales figures in the USA were 8 million and, in the UK, 3 million.These were the two biggest markets for "Candle." Japan is said to have sold just under 1 million. Are we to assume that it sold 11 million in all the remaining territories ? I find that hard to believe.

In 1973, the certiified sales on "White Christmas" ( in the USA ) were over 30 million. In 1980, the Irving Berlin office stated that Bing's recording of "White Christmas" had reached 42 million worldwide. The 2002 edition of the Guiness Book of Records states that it is now approaching 50 million ( this is probably around 47 million ). So, whichever way you look at it, Bing is the clear winner.
Also "White Christmas" ( in its various forms - albums,compilations,etc. ) will go on year after year.
"Candle" - which served its purpose in 1997 - will not
have the same staying power.

QED.

Ken
Lee Barnard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Holiday Inn Review Reply with quote

Ken,

Found another favourable review in the latest issue of DVD Review (4 stars out of 5), your good self is given an honourable mention.

If you would like I would be happy to send you a scan of the above if you have not already seen it.

I will defintely be geting my own copy in due course - keep up the fine work!!!

Kind Regards,
Lee Barnard
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Response to Lee Barnard Reply with quote

Thanks Lee for pointing out the DVD Review. As it happens, I haven't yet seen it. Universal's PR Company will be sending it in due course. However, if you wouldn't mind sending me a scan, I'd appreciate it.

Season's best to you and yours.

Happy holiday
Ken
Lee Barnard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Review Sent Reply with quote

Dear Ken ,
I have sent scan of review to info@laureatedvd.com address.
Hope you find it interesting.
Kind regards,
Lee Barnard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Other Laureate DVDs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: