laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bing Crosby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Other Laureate DVDs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Bakker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Bing Crosby Reply with quote

Dear Mr Barnes,
I was delighted to hear of your forthcoming release of the classic 'Holiday Inn'. I have long been a fan of both Bing and Fred and of the recording work you produced with these two artists. You can be sure i will be purchasing the DVD this month.
Changing the subject slightly i refer to your work as a record producer. I have long awaited a release of Bings last project 'Seasons', but to no avail. I appreciate that copyright is owned by other than United Artists and as such could not be included on the excellent 'Complete United Artists Sessions'. Does polydor still own the master tapes? If so are there any plans to release 'Seasons'? My feeling is that the album would be great combined with the recordings Bing made for the BBC just before his death.
I also have a well used copy of 'Singing in the Rain Again'
by Gene Kelly. Another album which merits release on CD.
Apart from the above i would love to see a release of Bings Paris recordings 'Le Bing'. How does a person find out who owned the rights to these recordings?
Thank you.
Mark Bakker
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Bing & Fred on DVD and Record Reply with quote

Dear Mark Bakker

Your support for "Holiday Inn" and your kind words about my recordings with Bing Crosby are much appreciated. Working with those two gentlemen was both a privilege and a pleasure for me - as it was for all of my colleagues and co-workers.

In regard to "Seasons," the album is not owned by Polydor.
Last month I attended a major conference called "Bing Crosby and American Culture" held at Hofstra University, Long Island,New York. It was a huge affair that covered all aspects of Bing's remarakable career and his effect on American culture. I spoke with Mrs. Kathryn Crosby about releasing "Seasons" in 2003 for Bing's centenary - and she was very much in favour of it. So, as they say, watch this space.

As for the Gene Kelly album, I've been talking with Universal about coupling this with Fred Astaire's 1959 album "Now" as a 2-on-1. No real progress so far but it's early days - so keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks for getting in touch. It's good to hear from you,Mark. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the new DVD of "Holiday Inn." Drop us a line and let us know what you think of it.

Happy holiday to you and yours

Ken
jack clowes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: fred astaire on record Reply with quote

I would be delighted to see Now issued on CD and
would also love to see my favourite hard-to-get
Fred Astaire song on CD. the song in question
is "THAT FACE" by Lew Spence and Alan Bergman
which was of course on your "Attitude Dancing"
Album. I think the original version was on an
HMV (Verve) Album EASY TO DANCE WITH from 1959
of which I have a well worn copy. The Album
also features one of my favourite Cole Porter
songs "I CONCENTRATE ON YOU". The only version
I have on CD of That Face is a recording from
a TV Programme.
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Fred Astaire on record- for Jack Clowes Reply with quote

Jack,

The version of "That Face" to which you refer would be on the Verve label. The arranger was Buddy Bregman, whom I recently met at the 3-day Bing Crosby Conference ( Bing & American Culture) at Hofstra University in Long Island, New York. This was scored in 4/4 swing style. When Pete Moore and I came to record it in 1975, Fred didn't want to do it in 4/4, he asked for a more modern 8-beat treatment. He loved Pete's arrangement and thought that Don Lusher's trombone solo was "outstanding."

Did you know that Fred's recording career began and ended in London. All of the material I recorded with him in London is currently available in a deluxe 3-CD set from EMI titled FRED ASTAIRE-THE COMPLETE LONDON SESSIONS. It contains everything that he recorded in London from 1923 right through to 1975 - and includes some amusing out-takes.

OK, so I'm plugging my own stuff. I wouldn't be much of a record p[roducer if I didn't.

Thanks for your interest

Happy holiday
Ken
jack clowes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: fred astaire in London Reply with quote

many thanks for your reply.
I actually have had THE COMPLETE LONDON SESSIONS
in my collection for about three years or so but I forgot that it included Attitude Dancing - I
had actually referred to my LP copy of the Album
to find the song and didn't make the connection
with The London Sessions - it's called senility.
I do love the song and I think it was one of the
few worthwhile things about the film "Paris When
It Sizzles" - the song could have been written
for Audrey Hepburn - perhaps it was.
very best regards. Joyeux Noel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Other Laureate DVDs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: