laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SERGEANTS THREE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Sinatra and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: SERGEANTS THREE Reply with quote

I hear that SERGEANTS THREE will be DVD released soon byWARNER along with 22 MGM titles.
Plus other items including a CD 'NOTHING BUT THE BEST'complilation with one unreleased track(Body&Soul).
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.Fingers crossed for 'MEET DANNY WILSON'?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: SINATRA WORKS IN PROGRESS Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for the information, which I'm sure will be of interest to our Sinatraphiles.

I understand from Universal that "Meet Danny Wilson" will be released but no date has been set as yet.

Closer to home. The Sinatra Live Stage Show, which played so successfully in its six month run at the London Palladium in 2006 will be touring the UK this year. Look out for this, it's a knock-out !
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news about the stage show,Ken.
I hear that in the DVD release issues-NONE BUT THE BRAVE,SERGEANTS'THREE,SOME CAME RUNNING,THE TENDER TRAP,FOUR FOR TEXAS and THE KISSING BANDIT are included(fingers'crossed). Very Happy
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Sinatra's films Reply with quote

A pretty good selection, but wouldn't it be much better if they dropped the awful "Four for Texas" and inserted the underrated "It Happened in Brooklyn?"
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: SINATRA ON DVD Reply with quote

The full news story on these upcoming Sinatra DVDs states that Warner Brothers will be releasing FOUR box sets in the second quarter of 2008
covering different phases of Frank Sinatra's screen career.

THE EARLY YEARS
Higher and Higher, Step Lively, It Happened in Brooklyn, The Kissing Bandit, Double Dynamite

THE GOLDEN YEARS
Marriage on the Rocks, None But The Brave, Some Came Running, The Tender Trap, The Man With The Golden Arm.

THE FRANK SINATRA-GENE KELLY COLLECTION
Anchors Aweigh, Take Me Out To The Ball Game, On The Town

THE RAT PACK ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION
Ocean's 11, Robin & the 7 Hoods, 4 for Texas, Sergeants 3.

PLUS SINATRA - The mini series.

As I understand it, the above box sets all come with extra special features and memorabilia. It is without doubt one of the biggest tributes ever paid to a screen legend.
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this news/e-mail.
All in all-excellent releases. Very Happy
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However,I notice that SERGEANTS THREE isn't available separately-you have to buy the De-Luxe package!!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: SERGEANTS THREE Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

From the information I have received,all of the titles in the "Rat Pack" box set ( including "Sergeants Three") will be available separately. The same goes for all of the other Sinatra DVD box sets. This whole series must be the biggest single release ever devoted to a screen legend.
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,Ken-my wife(my exchequer),will be relieved . Very Happy
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: SINATRA ON DVD Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
The full news story on these upcoming Sinatra DVDs states that Warner Brothers will be releasing FOUR box sets in the second quarter of 2008
covering different phases of Frank Sinatra's screen career.

THE EARLY YEARS
Higher and Higher, Step Lively, It Happened in Brooklyn, The Kissing Bandit, Double Dynamite . . . . .

As I understand it, the above box sets all come with extra special features and memorabilia. It is without doubt one of the biggest tributes ever paid to a screen legend.

I'll definitely buy The Early Years set even though I already have Higher And Higher and Step Lively on DVD. I've always enjoyed It Happened In Brooklyn and I particularly want to find out if The Kissing Bandit is as bad as its reputation suggests. (I've only seen the film once, on television decades ago). Although Sinatra himself mocked The Kissing Bandit during one of his television "Specials" in the 1960s, I doubt if the film is a total failure because the songs are good and a certain Cyd Charisse is in the movie. No film with Cyd Charisse is a complete waste of time!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Early Sinatra films Reply with quote

Yes, I think it's good news that "It Happened in Brooklyn" is finally making it to DVD - also "The Kissing Bandit" and don't forget "Double Dynamite"

Of the two RKO films, I've always felt that "Step Lively" was the better of the two. It's a remake of The Marx Brothers' "Room Service" and manages to be something of an improvement on the original.

2008 looks like being a great year for Sinatraphiles.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always felt that Step Lively is by far the better of the two. Higher And Higher seems to me - others may disagree of course - a pretty feeble movie while Step Lively really works. (In one of his television shows during the 1960s Sinatra, in dry, self-mocking mode, said his first movie was Higher And Higher "after which my movie career went lower and lower!") One of the curiosities about Higher And Higher is that of the songs written for the movie by Jimmy McHugh, two - I couldn't Sleep A Wink last Night and A Lovely Way To Spend An Evening - were big hits and went on to become standards while the third - The Music Stopped, which I feel is a much better song - did not become a standard.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: The Music Stopped - but not for Keely Reply with quote

I agree that "Step Lively" is by far the better of Sinatra's two RKO films and it's strange that "The Music Stopped" should become so neglected.
However, Keely Smiith had the good taste to include it in her tribute album to Sinatra ( on the Concord label ). Of the many tribute collections to Sinatra by other artists, I think she is the only one to do so.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Music Stopped - but not for Keely Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
. . . it's strange that "The Music Stopped" should become so neglected.
However, Keely Smiith had the good taste to include it in her tribute album to Sinatra ( on the Concord label ). Of the many tribute collections to Sinatra by other artists, I think she is the only one to do so.

I agree. I bought that Keely Smith CD when it first came out - she's one of my favourite singers and I buy everything of hers I come across - and I was delighted with her version of The Music Stopped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Sinatra and his films All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: