laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Absolument, mon ami!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Comments on Commentaries Reply with quote

On the subject of audio commentaries, the Laureate Message Board has never been so busy. My thanks to Tony Gage, Jack Clowes and Dominic McHugh.

As someone who is being asked to do more and more audio commentaries these days, your remarks are of great interest to me - and I must add a humble thanks for your kind remarks in regard to my efforts.

Dominic - you're a real dynamo - and I'm pleased to see that you're a supporter of the late John Frankenheimer's work. However, on the subject of Rosemary Clooney, I think maybe you expected too much. I find her audio commentary on "White Christmas" quite charming. I agree that it could have been more substantial but her love of the movie and her affection for Bing Crosby comes across in no uncertain terms. It was my pleasure - back in the 1970s - to work with both Rosie and Bing and the friendship that existed between them was very genuine. It was Bing who persuaded her to return to singing after she'd had a nervous breakdown and he gave her the confidence to appear with him at the London Palladium and other venues. She never forgot that. Now that she's no longer with us, I believe that her audio commentary is something to treasure.

It's a great pity that Bing didn't live to see the advent of DVD. He was a terrific conversationalist and as natural a raconteur as he was a singer.

In doing the audio commentary on "Holiday Inn" ( release date,December 2nd ), I was fortunate to get hold of some 1974 interviews with both Bing and Fred Astaire, and these form an interesting part of the commentary track.

I think it makes audio commentaries interesting if you can obtain contributions from the original participants.

Because the DVD is still a relatively new medium, I think there are still a lot of things to be learned. To get comments from genuine enthusiasts is both complementary and helpful.

Thanks to you all

Best
Ken
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Rosemary Clooney Reply with quote

You're right: I'm too harsh about the White Christmas one. At least someone relevant is talking! All I meant was that it might have been better to have an active interviewer with her, such as yourself, in order to just point out one or two things. (This is why your Astaire commentaries with Ava.) It's certainly a touching accompaniment to the film and I'm glad to have it. It's impossible to dislike someone who is so clearly affectionate about the people she worked with, and she is very self-deprecating when comparing herself to the other stars, eg suggesting that the only talent that the delicious Vera-Ellen lacked compared to Rosemary was the voice, and that in all other respects Vera was better! Her acting ability and screen magnetism sustain the emotion of the film. I certainly don't want to criticise her as a performer - I think she's one of the greatest things about the 'remake' (back we are again to that theme!). The 'Count Your Blessings' scene is extremely touching, a poignant song that haunts me for ages after hearing it. I think the greatest demonstration of Rosemary's talents, however, is the 'Love, You Didn't Do Right By Me' solo. Here, she conveys the mood brilliantly. She was one of the greatest voices of the last century. You were a lucky man to know her! And Bing! And Fred (my favourite)!!! Criticism withdrawn!!!!!

As for your comment about my dynamism, I do apologise for the frequency of my contributions of late. It's just that the message board has become such a stimulating place for conversation while we all wait for the next Laureate release!

Dynamo Dom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: