laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daddy Longlegs and White Christmas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Daddy Longlegs and White Christmas Reply with quote

Dear Ken

It's great to hear that Fred Astaire's only film with Leslie Caron is a possible subject for your superlative treatment. Thanks for answering my last message

I wonder if you could tell me about the casting of the roles in the 1954 version of White Christmas - was Fred originally cast? I heard that he was meant to be in the film but he was already doing another project? Do you know what that project was? It's only idle curiosity, but I thought it might help to whet our appetites for Holiday Inn.

Thanks

Dominic McHugh
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Fred Astaire & White Christmas Reply with quote

Dear Dominic,

Yes, Fred Astaire was the original choice to partner Bing
Crosby in "White Christmas." In the audio commentary for the upcoming "Holiday Inn" DVD, I deal with this situation in detail. Briefly,the reason he didn't do the film was because the production of "White Christmas" began in August of 1953 and continued until December of that year. Fred had worked on a number of projects that year including "The Band Wagon" which had opened in July to great notices and excellent box office. He had decided to spend more time with his family and was not interested in doing any more work that year - not even something as important as "White Christmas." Had this film been made a few months later, he would have probably done it.

" White Christmas" was a huge success and became the biggest grossing film of 1954. It was not, as some people think, a sequel to "Holiday Inn" - but it might have been had Fred accepted the picture. He was eventually replaced by Danny Kaye and the script was re-written to reflect this.

At least one of Kaye's songs " The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing" sounds as if it was written for Fred. Who knows? Perhaps it was.

Thanks again for your kind interest.

Best
Ken
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: White Christmas - Revision Reply with quote

Dominic,

I made a slight mistake in last night's message. The actual shooting schedule on "White Christmas" began on September 7 and finished on November 27,1953. In naming August and December, I was referring to pre-production and post-production - which the actors would not have been involved in.

Sorry about this.

Best
Ken
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: White Christmas Revision Reply with quote

Dear Ken

Thanks for the extra information. Although Fred was having a busy year it's hard to believe that he didn't have the energy to do 'White Christmas'! Still, it's hard to remember that he was far from being a young man at the time, contrary to his on-screen youthful looks and bountiful energy, which are a credit to him.

All I can say (and I'm really not nagging but rather placing an enthusiastic vote in favour of your wonderful talents) is that there is an international deficit of Fred on DVD and only you have the dedication to create the releases of the RKO Fred and Ginger films.

I bet millions of people out there would love a boxed set of all their films for RKO together.

In fact digitally-coloured versions could enhance viewing - I've always thought that Ginger's dress for the 'Cheek to Cheek' number in 'Top Hat' must have been really sumptuous in 'real life', ie in colour.

Can you tell us of anywhere to send messages to the film companies to get them moving re the REAL classic films of all time that most normal people want to watch but can't because of the deplorable state of the film industry nowadays? My friends and I would happily bombard whoever has the rights to the RKO films.

Again, as an eighteen year old I can only say that films from the past that have stood the test of time are of more interest to many young people than modern violent films of no substance whatsoever.

Good luck with all your productions and I can't wait for 'Holiday Inn' (and maybe 'Daddy Longlegs' - any more news re this?)

Dominic
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: White Christmas revision Reply with quote

Hi Dominic,

Good to hear from you again. I may have expressed myself badly regarding Fred Astaire's reasons for declining the role in "White Christmas." It was NOT due to exhaustion but a desire to be with his family at that particular time (Autumn-Winter,1953). His wife, Phyllis was ill with the cancer from which she died the following year.

You'll be interested to know that earlier today, I was with Ava recording an interview for Saga's Prime Time radio. It's for a Christmas show based around the movie "Holiday Inn." As soon as I learn the transmission date, I'll post it on the website News section.

Universal have the RKO rights to this country only and the cost of doing a boxed set Fred & Ginger might be prohibitive. However, if "Holiday Inn" goes well, it's possible that something will be done for DVD.

If you'd like to "bombard" someone, I suggest you and your friends contact Emily Stoten at Universal emily.stoten@unistudios.com Mention my name by all means.

To get the best results,however, I would suggest that you wait until after the release of "Holiday Inn" and you've had a chance to assess the DVD... THEN start your campaign.

Thanks for your kind interest

Regards
Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: