laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Capra

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Wilcox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: More Capra Reply with quote

Having just bought your outstanding DVD of "Meet John Doe,"
I wonder if you have plans to give a similar treatment to other Frank Capra classics - "Mr Deeds Goes to Town" and "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" would certainly benefit from the Laureate touch.

Your catalogue in general is a joy to all lovers of classic movies. Keep 'em coming.

Regards
Roger Wilcox
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Frank Capra Reply with quote

Dear Roger Wilcox,

Over the last few months, I've had dozens of letters and emails commending our version of "Meet John Doe" and almost invariably these have been accompanied by requests for further Laureate editions of Capra classics.

All I can say do is point you to Columbia Pictures. At present, they do have pretty good versions of "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington," "It Happened One Night" and "Lost Horizon"

Thanks for your support
Regards
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about releasing some of the early talkies or the silent films?

Apart from THE MATINEE IDOL Columbia hasn't released any of the early films. Some exist in public domain DVD-R versions but in very bad shape.
Nikelle

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Meet John Doe - Special Edition Reply with quote

Dear Mr Barnes,

I just purchased a copy of 'Meet John Doe', and am knocked back by the work you and your team have done to produce this DVD. Also, the extra features on it are brilliant. And your commentary, like Citizen Kane, really enjoyed listening to it.

I sound like I'm a fan of this movie, but to be honest with you I've never heard of it or watched it before. It was an impulsive buy and I'm not disappointed.

What Laureate is doing is remarkable. Movies like this were made long before I was born, but DVDs likes this allow people like me to experience movies from another era and it's truly wonderful.

Thank you,
Yours sincerely
Nikelle
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Meet John Doe Reply with quote

Dear Nikelle,

Thanks for your kind comments re. "Meet John Doe" and "Citizen Kane."

Here at Laureate, we try to be as informative and as thorough as possible when dealing with classic films and it's good to know that our work meets with your approval.

Best wishes
Ken Barnes
James LM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see Columbia-Tristar (Sony Pictures) release "American Madness" (1932). Maybe be it should be done out of the UK office and record an audio commentary with the film's leading lady, Constance Cummings, who lives in London.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: American Madness Reply with quote

Thanks James for bringing Frank Capra's "American Madness" to my attention. It's been many years since I've seen this film but I still remember it for Walter Huston's great performance.

It's a real rarity and, as far as I'm aware, it's never been shown on TV.
As part of the Frank Capra canon, it certainly deserves to be made available.

However, the sad fact is that up to 50% of all feature films made before 1950 have now disappeared due to either neglect and/or poor storage. The nitrate stock on which these films were recorded does not withstand the passage of time unless restored and re-mastered in a more durable form for future generations. By and large, this is not happening. To undertake such a task would require a tremendous amount of time and an impossible budget. But the work of certain directors - Capra being one of them - should be restored and this would not be an impossible task. But only the copyright holders could sanction and pay for it.

I will, however, pass your request on to Columbia.

Kind regards
Ken Barnes
James LM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"American Masness" was a home video for release for Columbia, as was Howard Hawks "The Criminal Code", also starring Boris Karloff and Walter Huston. This film is a favourite of Peter Bogdanovich (clips from the film were used on his own feature "Targets", one of Boris Karloff's final films). The return from the sale of these two films would surely be used by the economic engagement of Constance Cummings (who starred in both) for audio commentaries. I am sure Peter Bogdanovich could also be employed for the same purpose for a relatively low cost if it served the purpose off preserving this film, as it would. Is there anyone I could enthuse this idea to at Columbia Tri-Star?
James LM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"American Masness" was a home video for release for Columbia, as was Howard Hawks "The Criminal Code", also starring Boris Karloff and Walter Huston. This film is a favourite of Peter Bogdanovich (clips from the film were used on his own feature "Targets", one of Boris Karloff's final films). The return from the sale of these two films would surely be used by the economic engagement of Constance Cummings (who starred in both) for audio commentaries. I am sure Peter Bogdanovich could also be employed for the same purpose for a relatively low cost if it served the purpose off preserving this film, as it would. Is there anyone I could enthuse this idea to at Columbia Tri-Star?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: More Capra - Hawks too Reply with quote

Hi James,

If you want to contact someone at Columbia, try the following.

Steve Brown
Operations Director
Columbia Tristar Home Video
Sony Pictures Europe House
25 Golden Square
London W1R 6LU

You can mention my name if you like - although I've not had any contact with Steve for about two years. He is a good man at his job.

Good luck

Ken
valar2006

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good, very good!aceon promethazine wellbutrin
darvon piroxicam covera
ditropan lipitor durabolin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Praise All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: