laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Betty Grable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Jan Bakker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Betty Grable Reply with quote

Just a thought. Maybe we should have a forum where members and guests nominate movies that should NEVER appear on DVD.
My first nomination would be all the films of Betty Grable. Lets throw them into the incineror instead!
Any more suggestions?
Mark Jan Bakker
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: BETTY GRABLE - Dumped ? Reply with quote

Oh, Mark, you disappoint me. No more Betty Grable EVER ! I know that not everything she did was good but I think DIAMOND HORSESHOE is
worth saving and one or two others.And don't forget she wasn't a bad little dancer and she could carry a tune.

Still, it takes all sorts. I can't stand Elvis Presley.

Keep in touch

Ken
Mark Bakker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Betty Grable Dumped? Reply with quote

Well, perhaps i've been a bit hasty here! I actually own a couple of Betty Grable films on video. Mostly because i like some of the character actors and performers that appeared in her films. Don Ameche, Carmen Miranda, Ceasar Romero etc. I just think Betty was not in the same league as other stars of the time; Alice Faye, Dorothy Lamour.
As for Elvis i agree his movies are not of a high standard but he could certainly sing well enough and was a great 'live performer' from what i have seen of his concerts on video.
Certain performers have the ability to bring real emotion to a live performance. Judy was one, Durante, Sinatra, Ella, and Elvis.
Long live the King!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Betty Grable and Elvis P. Reply with quote

Mark, I respect your right to like or dislike anything. But Elvis Presley?
He couldn't carry a tune in a suitcase. Really, he had the worst ear of any major singer of the last hundred years. I could tell you stories about his recording sessions that have become legendary among professionals.

But still, I agree, a lot of people do like him.

Let's agree to disagree on this one.

Best
Ken
Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betty Grable had small roles in Follow the Fleet, which Laureate has already brought us, and The Gay Divorcee, which has been raised as a possible release. Would sure hate to do without those films. If I were to be mean and nominate people to be banned from DVD it would be a few current performers. At least with Elvis and Betty Grable, good or bad, their movies have been kept alive by fans liking them long enough for them to be considered classics by some. There are terrible current movies that make it to the DVD format almost instantly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Odds and Sods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: