laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classic Films on DVD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Bakker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Classic Films on DVD Reply with quote

Dear Ken,

Having now viewed all of the films in my 'Fred & Ginger' and 'Cary Grant' boxed sets i would like to congratulate all at Laureate on the beautiful presentation and quality of the product. The clarity of the fims, some now over 60 years old, is simply stunning. This is how all lovers of classic films want to view them. Good quality prints with good presentation and nice extras, such as the introductions by Ava Astaire.
I get very fustrated, as more classic films appear on DVD, at the sloppy way some major companies choose to release them. Poor quality prints, few or no extras, and inaccurate liner notes.
How does one know if the DVD being sold is of suitable quality before buying it? Perhaps there should be some sort of quality rating system. Price is certainly no indication of quality. Personally, i find the customer reviews at Amazon useful. Amazon reviewers often give an indication as to the quality of the product on sale.
There are of course some exceptions, some companies who CARE about the product they market. Laureate of course, the producers of the recent 'Chaplin Collection' and some others who have restored 'Vertigo', 'Rear Window' and many silent films to an extremely high level.
Lets hope that this becomes the norm and not the exception as more classics appear on DVD.
Incidentally, 18th January 2004 is the 100th anniversary of the birth of Cary Grant. As a resident of the city of Bristol, where Cary (or Archie) was born, i will be paying tribute to this fine actor by visiting his statue in Bristol City Centre and putting 'North by NorthWest into the DVD player.
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Classics Reply with quote

Dear Mark,

Good to hear from you and I was glad to learn that you managed to get the boxed sets Did you obtain them from a local dealer or did you have to buy on line? I ask this question because there are so many dealers who decline to stock classic titles that they are losing a tremendous amount of business to the likes of Amazon and Play.com

One last thing I should mention in answer to your previous queries, the Bing Crosby album "Seasons" WILL be issued this year for the first time on CD. We've had literally thousands of requests for it both here and in the USA.
It will be released by Universal.

Thanks for your interest
Best
Ken
Mark Bakker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Boxed Sets Reply with quote

Ken,

I purchased both boxes sets from HMV, The Mall, Cribbs Causeway, Bristol. This is the big shopping centre which can be seen from the motorway just after the M4/M5 interchange when travelling South on the M5. This HMV store has a particularly good selection of classic films on offer, including most of your previous issues. The only boxed set i have not seen at this store is the 'Marx Brothers Collection'. It's worth a visit if you are ever in the area.
Incidentally, have you tried finding the 'Roads' boxed set on Amazon? It does not appear under a search for Bing or Bob.
I am delighted that 'Seasons' will at last be availble on CD, my vinyl copy is now unplayable. How about including a few extras on the CD such as the recordings that Bing made for the BBC a few days after 'Seasons' was recorded ?
Regards and best wishes,
Mark Bakker
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Classics and Seasons Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,

That sounds like a good store to shop at. I've had good reaction from all the sets. The one that's received the most criticism is the Marx Brothers because there are no extras at all. This was becuase three of the discs were done in Hollywood and all we did was duplicate their design.

Yes, I know what you mean about the "Roads." They are not easily noticeable on Amazon but,in fact, they are there.
Type in "Road To" and you'll find it way down the pages after Road To Perdition, Road T Avon Lea and the various duff copies of "Road To Bali." How they ever expect to sell it under those conditions, I just don't know.

Finally, I can tell you that "Seasons" will have some bonus tracks on it. These will be earler recordings that Bing did of other seasons-linked titles. It will probably wind up as a 20-tracker.

Thanks for your kind interest

Best
Ken
Mark Bakker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: 'Seasons' Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

'Seasons' was Bings last commercial album. It was recorded on 12th,13th,14th September 1977, about a month before Bing died.Along with 'Thats What Life is all About' it represents, in my opinion, the best recordings Bing made in the last 20 years of his life. Both albums were produced by Ken Barnes and feature the Pete Moore Orchestra. Tracks include:
Seasons
On the Very First Day of the Year
June in January
Spring Will be a Little Late This Year
April Showers
June is Bustin' Out all Over
In the Good Old Summertime
Summer Wind
Autumn in New York
September Song
Sleigh Ride
Yesterday When I was Young

I can highly reccommend this album too you. I AM from the LP age, being 16 years old when i purchased this album back in 1977. I still have it although it's been played so many times i am glad that Ken has now decided to issue on CD.
Hope this helps,
Mark Bakker
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Bing's Seasons Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

We seem to be getting temporarily off the subject of DVDs but just to fill you in. "Seasons" was Bing Crosby's last commercial album. Back in the mid-'70s, I produced six albums with him - some sessions were in Los Angeles and some in London. "Seasons" was completed in London on September 14,1977 - exactly one month before he died on a Spanish golf course.

The concept of the album was the four seasons of the
year seen as an allegory of a man's life -spring, summer ,autumn, winter. Although we didn't make too big a point of it. The album was just a collection of songs that Bing wanted to sing and he sang them beautifully.

1. Seasons -
2. On The Very First Day of the Year
3. June In January
4. Spring Will Be a Little Late This Year
5. April Showers
6. June Is Bustin' Out All Over
7. In The Good Old Summertime
8. Summer Wind
9. Autumn In New York
10.September Song
11. Sleigh Ride
12. Yesterday When I Was Young.

The last song was Bing's own choice to end the album and many people whose opinions I respect feel that it is the definitive version of that lyric.

The LP has not been available since 1982 and has never been on CD. Today it is the most sought after of all Crosby's recordings. I have personally received over 2,000 requests for it and it is constantly being mentioned on the Bing Crosby Internet Museum website www.kcmetro.cc.mo/~crosby/

As I told Mark Bakker, the album will be supplemented by
other tracks of earlier season songs. It should be about 20 tracks in all.

Keep well

Best
Ken
Windy Ferguson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Seasons songs Reply with quote

What are all the songs going to be?
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: "Seasons "expanded Reply with quote

Hi Windy,

"Seasons" will be issued through Universal (UK) and we are currently sifting through extra titles that fit into the album's general concept. I've chosen 8 likely titles but have to wait until these have been cleared by Universal's licensing department. As soon as the list is cleared it will be announced.

Thanks for your interest

Best
Ken Barnes
Windy Ferguson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Seasons songs Reply with quote

Thanks, ken!
Windy Ferguson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Seasons songs Reply with quote

Thanks , Ken. I am very interested in getting the seasons album, as i am a very very big fan of Bings. Will it be obtainable in the U.S. too??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Boxed Sets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: