laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fred and Ginger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Bray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Fred and Ginger Reply with quote

The new box set is terrific. I loved the sequences with Ava Astaire. She came across so naturally and I was intrigued by the information in those letters written by her father.

Please let's have more of this. Are you planning to do a second box ?
G.Lanning

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: FRED & GINGER Reply with quote

I've just played through the Fred and Ginger box set. This was really my first proper experience of this famous duo - except for seeing clips on TV. I'm 19 and I was curious to see what all the fuss was about.

First of all, I must say I found the much-praised Top Hat very dated and I found the first few minutes tiresome and ponderous. But when Fred went into "No Strings" I could see the genius at work. Then I found myself getting into the period and into the spirit of the thing and even the silly story took on a charm that I found infectious and enjoyable. I couldn't wait to play the second film and the third and the fourth.

I loved the way the DVDs were produced with Ava Astaire McKenzie's introductions setting the mood for each film.
Now I'm hooked. Please let's have volume two as soon as possible.

Gerry Lanning
Keith Dunn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Astaire- Rogers Reply with quote

Congratulations on a superbly produced boxed set of Fred and Ginger. The Moving Menus and chapters are all brilliantly devised and executed. The Production notes are excellent and the introductions by Fred Astaire's daughter are fascinating. Through her father's letters, Ava gives us
exclusive and previously unseen glimpses into Hollywood history. The story of George Gershwin's last words was both riveting and touching.

After many years of seeing these films on TV and VHS, the restoration of these discs gives them a visual excellence that I never expected to see.

These qualities,of course, are typical of Laureate and Ken Barnes. The only thing missing was an audio commentary.

Please, let's have volume two next year.

K.D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Boxed Sets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: