laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March 29 HTF Chat with Warner : more John Wayne dvds !!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> John Wayne and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscar_merkx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: March 29 HTF Chat with Warner : more John Wayne dvds !!!!! Reply with quote

Hi Folks

Tomorrow night HTF will be hosting a chat with Warner about their upcoming dvd releases.

I am really interested to hear about any forthcoming JW dvds that have not seen the light or better upgrades like Stagecoach or Searchers

Cheers

Oscar
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: John Wayne Reply with quote

Thanks Oscar for getting in touch. Like everyone else, I think the Universal box could have been much better. With more emphasis on quality and more intelligent attention to detail, it could have been the definitive Wayne collection. Unfortunately, poor mastering, appalling chaptering and sloppy editing of the interviews let it down badly.

Warners are the world leaders in DVD production and, while they may not have access to as many Wayne titles as Universal, I'm sure they'll be doing much greater things with the Duke.

The company to watch, though, is Paramount. Apart from acquiring
"The High and The Mighty" and new prints of "McClintock" and "Hondo,"
they are soon to have full rights to the Republic catalogue - and I'm sure they'll do it more justice than Universal have.

Here's to the future.
oscar_merkx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken

I had heard the same things over at HTF or DVDTalk, so exciting times ahead

Cheers

Oscar
oscar_merkx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was not much news as far as I know without a full transcript.

There is talk of a box set with Pre-Code movies and the following two are supposed to be included.

http://www.filmforum.com/films/baby.html

BabyFace The Uncut Version

John Wayne has a minor role in this as far as I know

Two Seconds

No John Wayne though
James LM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Paramount are going to make up for a slow start. They did put out those Jerry Lewis films with Jerry Lewis audio commentaries quite recently.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Pre-Code Wayne Reply with quote

Thanks, Oscar, for this info. I know this movie - though not the uncut version - and it's interesting to see a young and very gullible Wayne.
By this point in his career, he should have been a star. But the failure of "The Big Trail" (1930) had relegated him to bit parts and B pictures which he struggled through until "Stagecoach" - and even then, he didn't make the jump to major stardom as quickly as some biographers suggest. But he was clearly on his way.

The new Warners box of Wayne titles ( Blood Alley, McQ.etc.) is hardly top-drawer Duke, but it will be welcome by collectors. Warners have made this a full-blown John Wayne Signature Collection which,perhaps, could have included "The Searchers," "Operation Pacific" and "Trouble Along the Way." But maybe there were contractual restrictions.

I think Paramount - with their recent new acquistions - is the one to watch.

Best
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-Code Wayne Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
The new Warners box of Wayne titles ( Blood Alley, McQ.etc.) is hardly top-drawer Duke, but it will be welcome by collectors. Warners have made this a full-blown John Wayne Signature Collection which,perhaps, could have included "The Searchers," "Operation Pacific" and "Trouble Along the Way." But maybe there were contractual restrictions.

I think Paramount - with their recent new acquistions - is the one to watch.

Ken, Warners already have a John Wayne Signature box:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002Y4TLA/qid=1113217159/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-1666614-4367965?v=glance&s=dvd

...containing Stagecoach / The Searchers / Rio Bravo / The Cowboys (though another wouldn't do any harm!). They have signalled their intention to remaster the first two titles possibly for a John Wayne / John Ford box in 2006.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: John Wayne Signature Collection Reply with quote

My thanks to Guest for pointing this out. Warner's approch to Wayne is a bit fragmented. First we have the legendary heroes collection and now comes the Signature Collection - which seems a bit sparse compared to,say, the Errol Flynn set. After all the great work that Warners have done - and are doing - I believe that most fans of Wayne would expect a more ambitious package. Or were they intending to put both of the above box sets together as one package and then changed their mind ?

Now we learn that they may be doing a Wayne-Ford set. What could it contain ? Most likely "The Long Voyage Home," "Fort Apache" and "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" together with "Stagecoach" and "The Searchers."
A nice set - especially if it comes with Extras. But this duplication of titles is a bit off-putting when one considers that Warners - with their MGM connections - could add "They Were Expendable," "Three Godfathers" and "Wings of Eagles." So why go over the same ground again ?

Something to ponder.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wayne films are now being released on Blu-ray disc, particularly in America.

Stagecoach has been issued by Criterion but is unplayable on British Blu-ray players.

True Grit has been released. It looks magnificent on Blu-ray, far better than on DVD. This is available in the U. K.

In the U. S in the next few weeks the following movies will be issued on Blu-ray: The Comancheros, Big Jake, Rio Lobo and The Horse Soldiers. American web-sites say that The Comancheros Blu-ray looks especially good.

The Searchers and The Green Berets have been available over here on Blu-ray for some time already.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: JOHN WAYNE on BLU_RAY Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out the release of several John Wayne films on Blu-Ray. In fact, the first Blu-Ray disc I ever bought was "The Searchers" and it looks wonderful ( especially when compared to my old laserdisc version). I agree that "True Grit" looks superb on Blu-Ray and, despite what certain critics may say, it is easily superior to the recent Coen Brothers remake ( which isn't bad but Jeff Bridges - good actor though he is - hasn't got one tenth of the charisma of Wayne whose presence fills the role of Rooster Cogburn to perfection ).

Criterion's "Stagecoach" Blu-Ray is not necessarily unplayable on British players. There are dealers who can convert Blu-Ray players to handle all regions. Just look around. If you can't find one, there is someone I can recommend.

Best
Ken
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Thank you for the offer but I already have an all-zone Blu-ray player and occasionally buy Zone A (USA) Blu-ray discs. (I have Kiss Me Deadly en route to me at present).

I've also bought Rio Lobo and The Horse Soldiers from America. These will play on an "undoctored" British Blu-ray player. Rio Lobo looks especially good.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received an email from Amazon Germany advising that a Blu-ray disc of Stagecoach will be released in Germany in late August. The German title will be Höllenfahrt nach Santa Fe.

This of course will play on all U. K. Blu-ray players. I have no idea what the quality will be. Let's hope it is as good as on the Criterion Blu-ray disc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> John Wayne and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: