laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eleanor Powell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rego

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Eleanor Powell Reply with quote

It would be nice, now that warners are releasing some of the archive material for them to feature some of the Eleanor Powell films. Sadly apart from the Broadway Melody Of 1940 none of these films are available on DVD
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Eleanor Powell Reply with quote

Yes, I agree that there should be more Eleanor Powell available. Of couise, there are some nice clips in all of the That's Entertainment films
which should act as a "taster" perhaps for future "Dream Factory" releases. Let's hope.
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Eleanor Powell Reply with quote

According to this often-reliable source, a box set is due later in 2007:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/sound/upcoming.html

Who knows if it's true, but this and other things on the list sound tempting!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Eleanor Powell Reply with quote

I'm inclined to think that this is true. Warners seldom announce box sets unless they are approved for release.
Rego

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like 4 of Eleanor Powell's films will be released in April as yet there are no details
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Eleanor Powell Reply with quote

Hi Rego,

Yes, there will be four Eleanor Powell films released on DVD in April -
"Broadway Melody of 1936" - "Broadway Melody of 1938" - "Born to Dance" and "Lady Be Good." These will form part of a 9-film package
"Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory -Vol 3" Other titles will include "Hit The Deck," "Kismet" "Deep in my Heart" "Nancy Goes to Rio" and "Two Weeks with Love."

Happy New Year
Mark Bakker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Hit the Deck Reply with quote

I'm particularly pleased to see that 'Hit the Deck' is included in this forthcoming set. A wonderul film with a wonderful cast, including Ann Miller, Russ Tamblyn and Tony Martin.
I see that Tony Martin is appearing at Micheal Feinsteins supper club for 5 nights from 29th January. Still going strong at age 95!
Tony last appeared at this venue in October 2007, here is a link to a youtube clip of the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCipwOQlWa8

Mark Bakker
Bristol
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: TONY MARTIN AT FEINSTEIN'S Reply with quote

Thanks,Mark, for bringing to our attention this video excerpt of Tony Martin at Fienstein's in New York.

As it happens, my wife and I - and Pete Moore - had lunch with Michael Fienstein a couple of weeks ago in London when he did his excellent series of sell-out concerts at the Shaw Theatre. Michael told us that Tony Martin is really amazing and did such good business that he will be having him back at the club soon.

Never mind that his voice isn't what it was - or that he can't pitch his high notes anymore - he can still hold an audience and that's the mark of a true pro. Good luck to him.

Yes, "Hit The Deck" is one of his best pictures and it will be good to have it on DVD at last. I have spoken to Universal about releasing a DVD of "Casbah" (1948) - which may well be Martin's best screen performance. And it has a great score by Harold Arllen and Leo Robin.
I hope they get around to it.
Rego

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again this Warner's box set is first class ! So good to be able to see these films in DVD quality after my battered VHS versions. Smile
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Warner Box sets Reply with quote

I agree with you, Rego. Warners are certainly leading the field in deluxe box sets. Not only are their restorations first class, but also their constantr stream of extras. More power to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Musicals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: