laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MGM Musicals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Bakker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: MGM Musicals Reply with quote

It seems to be quite a while since Warners released anything of note as far as MGM musicals are concerned.

We were spoiled for a while with the SE's of 'Singin' in the Rain', 'Easter Parade', 'Band Wagon', 'Wizard of Oz' among others. It must be over a year since a musical from the MGM vaults has been released on DVD.

I'm certainly hoping that Warners will get around to producing SE's of two of my favourite MGM musicals 'Show Boat' and 'On the Town'. I have DVD versions of both of these lovely films, released a few years ago. Unfortunately the picture quality is not great and the films certainly deserve something better.

It would also be good to see some of those very colourful and fun Esther Williams films on DVD. I'm sure Esther still has loads of fans who would just love to see her in her swimsuit once again!

On a positive note i'm really looking forward to Fox's Alice Faye collection, being released in February - a few i have never seen in this collection including 'The Gang's All Here'.

Mark Bakker
Bristol
United Kingdom
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: MGM Musicals Reply with quote

Mark Bakker wrote:
It seems to be quite a while since Warners released anything of note as far as MGM musicals are concerned.

It would also be good to see some of those very colourful and fun Esther Williams films on DVD. I'm sure Esther still has loads of fans who would just love to see her in her swimsuit once again!

I fully agree. At present the only way to see Esther is on Turner Classic Movies or the Region 1 DVD of Take Me Out To The Ball Game which is not a real Esther Williams movie anyway.

As for other MGM musicals, what about Lili, Hit The Deck, Lovely To Look At, Meet Me In Las Vegas, Deep in My Heart (which I have never seen) and those Debbie Reynolds/Donald O'Connor movies like I Love Melvyn and The Affairs of Dobie Gillis?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Esther Williams - Donald O' Connor Reply with quote

I agree it's strange that Warners have not yet released any of Esther Williams' films, especially since she figured so promininetly in the populat "That's Entertainment" series which subsequently inspired several TV commercials. Another odd thing about that series is that iy never once featured the Oscar-winning song "Baby, It's Cold Outside" - from Esther's "Neptune's Daughter." Go figure !

Yes, the Donald O' Connor musicals deserve consideration too. Buy maybe this will all happen in time. Just think of how long it has taken to get all the Fred and Ginger films.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going off on a tangent for a moment, I remember many, many years ago the National Film Theatre ran an MGM season, and showed some rare movies. One starred Gene Kelly and most certainly was not a musical! It was called The Black Hand and was visually the darkest film I have ever seen. It was so dark you could hardly see what was going on! I recognise that it is a most atypical Gene Kelly movie, but I would love to see it again and would gladly buy a DVD of it.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: GENE KELLY - BLACK HAND Reply with quote

Yes I remember this film quite well. Back in 1976 when I was working with Gene Kelly in Los Angeles, he mentioned this film as one that he enjoyed doing. It was about the early days of the Mafia and much of it was based on fact. He made it right after "On The Town," but it was not a particularly successful film and MGM wasted no time in getting him into another musical "Summer Stock" - which was Judy Garland's last film for MGM.

Curiously, Gene's biggest grossing film was not a musical. It was a
swashbuckler "The Three Musketeers" (1948) which made more money than "Singin; In The Rain" - the film with which he is most associated.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: New MGM musicals box set Reply with quote

Warners in America have announced a new box set of MGM musicals including The Pirate, That's Dancing, Words and Music and two Double Feature discs: Mario Lanza and Kathryn Grayson in That Midnight Kiss and The Toast of New Orleans, and Fred Astaire in Royal Wedding and The Belle of New York.

Warners say that each film has been restored and remastered from original elements. Apparently there will be some outtakes as well.

High quality DVDs will make all these movies interesting to me but the prize is The Pirate which I've always felt was underrated. I read in one of the various Cole Porter biographies that Judy Garland did not like the score, but I do!
Rego

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really does look interesting Very Happy here is a link with the details of the set

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=160224
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: More from the Dream Factory Reply with quote

Thanks, Rego, for bringing this to our attention. This selection will fill the gaps in many collections. Personally, I can bypass the Mario Lanza pics ( although I'm sure some fans will welcome them ). I think I would have preferred such negelected films as "I Love Melvin" and "Small Town Girl."

But by and large this will be a welcome release.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Esther Williams - Donald O' Connor Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
I agree it's strange that Warners have not yet released any of Esther Williams' films, especially since she figured so promininetly in the populat "That's Entertainment" series which subsequently inspired several TV commercials. Another odd thing about that series is that iy never once featured the Oscar-winning song "Baby, It's Cold Outside" - from Esther's "Neptune's Daughter."

Warners have announced they will be issuing an Esther Williams box set in America in July. Each DVD with have supplementary material. The films are: Bathing Beauty/On an Island with You/Easy To Wed/Neptune's Daughter with outtake musical number I Want My Money Back/Dangerous When Wet with outtake musical number C'est La Guerre

I'm sure that many will agree with us that this box-set is very welcome (and slightly overdue!)
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Popular when wet Reply with quote

Thanks, Joel, for bringing this to our attention. There was only one Esther Williams and I'm sure Warners will benefit greatly from this overdue box set.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warners have recently announced their latest box-set of musicals: Classic Musicals From The Dream Factory Volume 3.

This will include some much sought-after rarities including, I'm delighted to say, Deep In My Heart. There will apparently be nine movies all of which are new to DVD and which, so Warners assure us, have been restored from the original elements. The nine movies are Hit the Deck, Deep In My Heart, Kismet, Broadway Melody of 1936, Broadway Melody of 1938, Born to Dance, Lady Be Good, Nancy Goes To Rio and Two Weeks With Love.

The box-set will be on sale on April 8th, 2008.

I can hardly wait.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Esther Williams - Donald O' Connor Reply with quote

JoelCairo wrote:

Warners have announced they will be issuing an Esther Williams box set in America in July. Each DVD with have supplementary material. The films are: Bathing Beauty/On an Island with You/Easy To Wed/Neptune's Daughter with outtake musical number I Want My Money Back/Dangerous When Wet with outtake musical number C'est La Guerre

I'm sure that many will agree with us that this box-set is very welcome (and slightly overdue!)

I have been remiss in not coming back to this post earlier, so let me assure everyone that I have bought this box set and have enjoyed all the movies enormously. If you like Esther Williams and cheerful, innocent, fun movies as much as I do, you will not be disappointed with this collection. I am glad to see that the packaging labels this box-set "Volume 1" suggesting that there might be a "Volume 2" in the future. I certainly hope so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Musicals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: