laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Of Jazz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rego

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: King Of Jazz Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is a planned DVD release of the 1930's film The King Of Jazz, This film includes some of the early recordings of Bing Crosby with the rhythm boys along with many others, and the famous Paul Whiteman band.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: King of Jazz Reply with quote

Hi Rego,

Universal are committed to a series of early films from the Golden Age of Hollywood, but no news so far of "King of Jazz" -although they have just released an interesting new 5-title box set of Bing in the USA along with the best-selling Holiday Inn Special Edition.

As soon as I hear any further news, it will be posted on this website.

Best
Ken
Rego

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken

I gather from your other post's you will be having a meeting with Universal, I wonder if you caould ask them if they have any plans to release King of Jazz (1930) on DVD what would be best of all if you could give this fantastic film the Laureate treatment. Smile

I think I am right in saying this film includes the earlist recorded film version of Gershwins Rhapsody In Blue

Not only does this film include some great performances, but I think it is of real historical importance
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: KING OF JAZZ Reply with quote

I will mention this to the people at Universal and see what their reaction is.

Certainly it is of historical interest - because of the Gershwin and Crosby connections - but whether or not it is a good picture remains a matter of conjecture. I have never seen it in its entirety and people who have tend to dicmiss it as clumsy and overblown. When first released it was a massive commercial flop. Some years later it was re-released to cash in on Bing Crosby's popularity and enjoyed something of a shortlived profit.

It's unimpressive commercial history may well be the reason that Universal have never released on video in any form. However, I will report their feelings on its DVD potential.

Thanks for your interest.
Rego

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was released on Video by Universal in the states, there is a good selection of 7 or 8 clips from the film on Utube, all of which have received four and a half to five star rating. Perhaps these are just the best parts of the film, and there is not much of a story to the rest. Having never seen it I would not like to say but certainly the musical numbers alone are intersting Smile

I have put a link in so you can have a look

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=king+of+jazz&search=Search

P.S.

Not sure if it is ok to include links if not please tell and I will remove it Smile
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: King of Jazz Reply with quote

Thanks, Rego. Links are fine with me. I'll do what I can on this as a DVD prospect.
Rego

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that has occured to me Bing also did quite a few shorts for Max Sennet in the 30's so if some of these could be included on a disc of the King Of Jazz with some backgrond to the film etc. I'm sure this would be commecial success Very Happy

This is just the sort of project that your good self and Laureate always do so well Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: