laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANTI-SPAM CLEAN-UP - PLEASE READ NOW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kedwards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: ANTI-SPAM CLEAN-UP - PLEASE READ NOW Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

We, in common with just about every other open messageboard on the web, are being plagued with spam.

This is degrading our forum and I am endeavouring to stop it.

However, although I have already implemented mandatory registration for anyone wanting to post, and added a 'visual code' to try and circumvent the bots that sign up, it seems that that is not enough.

I have now added another sanction - I must personally approve all new members.

This is inconvenient for the genuine members who make such a fantastic contribution to this forum. I know Ken really appreciates the dialogues on here - and he spends a lot of time contributing himself.

We have nearly 500 genuine members / guests who have posted 2423 articles on 448 topics in the time that Laureate have been running a message board (including the old one).

So, with effect from today - 3rd February 2007 - all new members will have to register and wait for my approval in order to post. I'm sorry, but in most cases this will not be instant - I'm not at my computer 24/7!

I suggest that, if you are a genuine enthusiast, you register on your first visit here (please fill in the registration form properly so I know you're a real person) and I will approve it as soon as I get the form.

I have cleared all the spam that was on the board, and I am pruning the membership list right now.

If you are a member and have posted a legitimate comment, your membership is still active.

If you have signed up but not posted up to today, I will have deleted your membership and you will need to sign up again and wait for approval.

If you are a spammer (and why would you be reading this if you are?) I have not only deleted your membership - I have also banned your username!

I am sorry it has come to this, but for the moment, this is the simplest way to protect our forum.

I would like to thank everyone who makes this such a lively and informative forum and I ask for your patience while I try to find a fix that will allow genuine enthusiasts to join our group without the timelag.

The forum is still open for anyone to read and I hope that the new policy will not deter people from signing up to join us.

Karen
Admin - Laureate Forum

PS If anyone out there knows anything about protecting forums and can help me fix this, please message me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Start Here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: