laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Forum
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Welbeck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Optimum's "Western Union." Reply with quote

I can't understand why "Western Union" isn't better known. As a Western, it's got everything - good characters, a firm story with a few neat twists,plenty of action, beautiful Technicolor photography, a final shoot-out that is both exciting and emotionally touching. It also proves that Randolph Scott was more than just an action star. Under Fritz Lang's direction, he shows that he was a much better actor than he was given credit for. Since seeing this DVD, "Western Union" goes straight into my Top 20 Westerns of all time. Naturally, I'm a little disappointed that there are no extras. But the film itself is a knockout !

R. Wood wrote:
I heartily agree with RD about Optimum's "Western Uinion." This is a really rousing Western directed with a sure hand by ace film noir director, Fritz Lang. Even though it carries no extras ( which is a pity ), it's still a "must" for lovers of the Western. I would say that John Felton could buy this without any regrets. If Optimum continue to issue films as good as this, they should really get their act together and present some decent extras. Then they would really start to do business.
M.S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Hooray for Westerns Reply with quote

I'm really glad to find the Laureate website. I don't think there's another site quite like it. All the forums seem to be well visited by well-informed people. But I can't understand why there is not more support for the Westerns category.

To my mind, the Western is the purest form of cinema. You can't do it on the stage, it has to be made outdoors and in the best locations. There is a natural energy about Westerns that can't be found in Sci-Fi ( which relies too heavily on CGI and special effects for my taste ). I see several people have listed their top 10 Westersn, well here's mine ( in chronological order)

1. Stagecoach (1939)
2. Western Union (1940)
3.My Darling Clementine (1946)
4. Red River (1948)
5. Fort Apache (1948)
6. Blood On The Moon (1949)
7. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)
8. Winchester '73 (1950)
9. High Noon (1952)
10. Shane (1953)

Of course, there are many more that I could list. I would like to include all five of the James Stewart-Anthony Mann Westerns but I settled for Winchester '73. I have a soft spot for the Cecil B. De Mille Westerns of the 1930s -The Plainsman (1936) and Union Pacific (1939). I also like
The Westerner (1940) and I especially applaud William Wyler's The Big Country (1958). But if I were to choose just 10 to take to a desert island, it would very likely be the above list.

No Clint Eastwood's ? No, I don't like any of the Spaghetti Westerns, but I do like The Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven - but, for me, they lack the repeatability of the above list. I like Tombstone but, to my mind the best Western of the last 20 years is Kevin Costner's Open Range - which deserves to be far better known that it is.

Well, that's my lot for now. Maybe next week or next year, I'll revise my list and, if I do, at least half of the titles in my top ten will still be there.

Winchester '73 (1950
Neil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a huge western fan but have begun to appreciate the genre much more in recent years.

I would love to see Bing's version of Stagecoach. I understand it's not brilliant and not a patch on the original, but it would be nice to see for Bing's performance which I believe was quite good.

I have a soft spot for a few of the Dean Martin westerns, in particular
Five Card Stud and The Sons of Katie Elder. I also enjoy Rough Night in Jericho with Dean playing the baddie and Bandolero with Jimmy Stewart and Raquel Welsh. Of course, Rio Bravo has to be Dean's finest western.

As for John Wayne, I think The Shootist is essential Duke viewing.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Westerns Reply with quote

I agree that the "Stagecoach" rermake lacks the power and involvement of the 1939 original and while Bing's performance is not as good as Thomas Mitchell's in the original, it's still worth watching and may be the best thing about the movie.
Neil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think there is a chance of the film being released Ken?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Stagecoach remake Reply with quote

All I can do is suggest it to Fox. Sometimes they respond to suggestions.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimum's Westerns Reply with quote

John Felton wrote:
Can anyone comment on the Optimum label's Western Classics series ?

Can anyone throw any light on this interesting series ? Are they worth buying ?

I can strongly recommend "Garden Of Evil", sourced from a glorious print and presented in the original aspect ratio.

My list of 10 favourite westerns not mentioned so far is as follows

The Wonderful Country
A Man Alone
Comanche Station
The Hanging Tree
Man Of The West
Night Passage
Hour Of The Gun
The Professionals
The Law And Jake Wade
The Stalking Moon

Last edited by JoelCairo on Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Westerns Reply with quote

"Man Of The West" is avaiable on DVD in the UK and I believe "The Professionals" is about to be released in the U.S.

"The Hanging Tree" had been considered by Warners as part of The Gary Cooper Signature Collection. Unfortunately, for some reason, it was replaced by "Dallas" - I don't know why.

I'm thinking about your hard-boiled line. I'm sure it'll come to me over the Christmas holidays,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Westerns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: