laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's happened to Charade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Cary Grant and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: What's happened to Charade? Reply with quote

Surely this wonderful releas e has not been deleted from your catalogue?

Dominic
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: ...and why wasn't it one of the 100 best thrills? Reply with quote

I watched the Channel 4 programme of the American Film Institute's supposed '100 Best Thrills' but was sad not to see Charade present! It continues to grip me, even though I must have watched it thrity times or more...

Dominic
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Charade & High Society Reply with quote

Charade has been withdrawn from the Laureate catalogue pending the outcome of a copyright issue.

Yes, I agree it should have been in Channel 4's top 100.
But that's TV for you.

On the matter of "High Society" ( the biggest box office hit of 1956-'57 ), I've heard a rumour that Ted Turner's company ( who are now connected with Warner Brothers )is currently working on a Special Edition DVD. How true this is, I don't know. But it would make sense in view of the film's enduring appeal.

Ken.
Jack Clowes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: CHARADE Reply with quote

Although it's still not listed on your Homepage, I notice that Charade is listed on the Coming Soon page - does this mean that it's available again?
KEN BARNES

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: CHARADE Reply with quote

Hello Jack,

What you saw was an old entry from two years ago.
Currently,there is a copyright dispute on CHARADE and until it's resolved this DVD is withdrawn from the catalogue and general circulation.

Thanks for getting in touch

Best
Ken
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Charade Reply with quote

I think that as you no longer offer it, it might be a good idea to remove 'Charade' from the menu on the 'coming soon' page - no doubt it's not meant to be there any more, but it would perhaps avoid the occasional mentions the DVD still gets on these pages!

Looking forward to more from Laureate!

Dominic
KEN BARNES

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Future releases Reply with quote

Hi Dominic,

Good suggestion re. Charade. If we don't get a ruling soon on this, I will remove it. But at the moment I am advised to leave things as they are.

As soon as I've completed Citizen Kane, I'll have some news on future releases that, I know, will please you.

In the meantime, did you know that next month Warners ( in the USA ) are doing FIVE Cole Porter musical films.

Kiss Me Kate, High Society, Silk Stockings, Broadway Melody of 1940 and Les Girls. All will be available separately or
as a boxed set. In addition they are releasing a DVD
titled "The Great American Songbook" hosted by Michael Feinstein.

Also on Universal ( in the USA only ) are doing three
Bing double-feature DVDs (1) Rhythm on the Range/Rhythm on the River (2) Birth of the Blues/Blue Skies
(3) A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court/The Emperor Waltz.

All this and some great UK releases later in the year.
At the moment,though, my lips are sealed re. the latter.

Best
Ken
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: New DVDs Reply with quote

Yes, I did know about the exciting new releases, and I can't wait for Kiss Me, Kate, in particular.

High Society is apparently being released in the UK on 26/5/03 (along with Calamity Jane, which I have already got in the US version) so I thought I might as well wait until then for that particular film. But perhaps there will be different special features/a different print in the UK release (because there was a UK re-release in selected cinemas) last year)?

I'm now thoroughly agitated to know what your lips conceal! Can't wait for more Laureate nuggets!

Thanks for responding

Dominic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Cary Grant and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: