laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Logos superimposed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James LM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: New Logos superimposed Reply with quote

I find it sad to see original studio logos disappearing and new ones being added. I am sorry to have to bring Laureate into this topic. I noticed on the Citizen Kane (and perhaps Meet John Doe) that new company logos have been superimposed on original screen credits. A selection of new production credits running before or after please, not during

cheers

James
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: New Logos Reply with quote

Dear James,

In defence of the new logos on "Royal Wedding" and,particluarly, "Meet John Doe" and "Second Chorus"" - the Laureate imprimatur was imposed -
firstly because, these three titles are public domain. And secondly, because, in the case of the last two, we spent a considerable amount of money on restoration and extras. ( particularly on MJD ). In every case, we preserved the integrity of the films as well as improving the image and audio. Because of this, these particular versions are legally copyrighted as Laureate presentations.

In the case of "Citizen Kane," ( which is still in copyright ) we were engaged by Universal ( who have the UK rights to the RKO catalogue ). Only in the case of the extras and DVD production ( on which we worked long and hard ) did we take a credit. Moreover, the original RKO logo is still on the film.

As for applying credits "during" the film, I don't know what you mean. Could you please explain this ?
James LM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake on the part of Citizen Kane. I was getting mixed up with a seocnd viewing of Meet John Doe. I had a feeling that it was to do with the fear of your restoration work being hijacked. Would it not be more suitable to put in less nticeable clues to the version being yours (this would have an advantage over potential copyists who may also overlook it). Someone would currently justhave to work on those frames.

I was referring to the company name when I said 'credits''. The thread is also about what appears to be the removal of original logos (and maybe end cast lists?) by the studios. I could see Warners wanting to take the opening MGM logo off its product but don't think they should.

I am thinking of setting up a company like yourself, only releasing classic UK films. Out of interest, what were the restoration costs of Royal Wedding?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Film Restoration Reply with quote

James,

Restoration costs on "Royal Wedding" amounted to mainly the removal of scratches. The print itself was not a very good one and to have given it the full treatment would not have been viable. I guess we spent only about £2,000 on this one.

We are, however, preparing a new Special Edition for the USA for next year. We have obtained a much better print and I think this will be the best DVD version ever.

Ken
Fitzidpeh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you get it???
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: ROYAL WEDDING Reply with quote

The "new" print of Royal Wedding" is in a private collection.

The company we were going to do business with have dropped out of the deal. So we are not going ahead at this time with the project.
JamieAnn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it okay if I put up an animated avatar on my profile?
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a big shame that you're not able to do Royal Wedding any more - it would have been great to get a better print whilst retaining all the great features on the existing release.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Complaints All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: