laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GHOSTWATCH (BBC 1992): great or just an overrated flick ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: GHOSTWATCH (BBC 1992): great or just an overrated flick ??? Reply with quote

I've read several reviews of the GHOSTWATCH dvd and the hype this BBC "live show" caused in Britain, when it was first screened on TV Halloween 1992. That whetted my appetite, but this film is completely unknown outside the UK and the dvd seems quite expensive for a blind buy.

What do you think about this program ? Is it definitely so much suspenseful and scary as one might eventually think and worth watching today - knowing it's a hoax - or just an overrated flick ? For me it's really difficullt to judge if the reason most people still go for it today may only be because of their scares and memories when watching it first (exspecially those who were of very young age that time) ? Some people say the acting would be very poor and being far from convincing - yay or nay ?

There are not too many movies I would consider to be REALLY scary - among the few definitely are DEAD OF NIGHT (1945) and THE CHANGELING (1980). THE RING (Japanese original version) was scary. But I never found anything to be scary about e.g. THE EXORCIST at all.

Would I most probably enjoy GHOSTWATCH ? Who would recommend me to buy it ?
Neil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it go out on it's original airing and whilst to me it was obvious it was a play, I do remember a lot of fuss afterwards in the papers.

It is an excellent and very unusual piece though Parkinson is very clearly no actor.

It builds it's tension up very well and the final scenes are breathtaking.

As a big classic horror fan, I'm glad I have a copy in my collection.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: GHOSTWATCH Reply with quote

I'm glad that Christoph finally got an answer on this subject. I've yet to see this film, so can't comment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Odds and Sods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: