laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New "Road" box set ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D.M.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: The long and crooked road Reply with quote

When Universal issued their great versions of "Citizen Kane" and "Holiday Inn" along with those superb box sets on Fred and Ginger, Cary Grant and the Road pictures, I thought here at last is a company that cares about the classic film buff. But,of course, the common link with all these releases was Ken Barnes and Laureate. Since then we've had well-designed but ultimately bland and even sloppy box sets on Doris Day and
John Wayne that could have benefitted from the Barnes/Laureate touch.

Now comes a new - and much more expensive - collection of the six Paramount "Road" pictures and they're asking £60 for it. Will it have any extras ? Apparently not. But if it does, they probably won't be as interesting or as thorough as the ones in the first 4-title box. And if the chaptering is anywhere near as bad as in the Doris Day and Wayne collections, they can count me out.

I recently read that Universal had overestimated the appeal of "Shrek-2" and produced something like 2 million more copies than was necessary.
It's a real pity to see major companies acting ssuc a greedy and irresponsible manner towards the consumer. They overestmate with the new product and underestimate with the classics. The great films of the 20th century are in the hands of uncaring people. And it seems there's nothing can be done about it. Thank God for Warners.
J.B.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Universal's new "Roads" set Reply with quote

I note that this new set will be issued on August 29th in the U.K. As far as one can tell, there will be no extras in it. The best release to date is the 4-film box set produced by Laureate with terrific production notes and cats and crew biographies by Ken Barnes PLUS some wonderful card reproductions of the original posters artwork. It will be interesting to see if the new set retains all this worthwhile information.
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: The Road pictures Reply with quote

Despite being issued many times in various formats - VHS, Laser,DVD, the Road pictures have always enjoyed wide appeal. I doubt if it's occurred to Universal but this year just happens to be the 65th Anniversary of this much-praised series. If the new box set carries "Rio" and "Bali" - making it the complete Paramount series ( U.A's "Hong Kong" is no great loss ), isn't it high time that we got a really definitive box set produced by someone who knows this series. Someone like Ken Barnes - who not only worked successfully with Bing Crosby but also knew and worked with Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour ? A box set like that would be worth every penny.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: The New "Roads" box Reply with quote

Thank you, Jim, for your supportive words about my work on DVD. I did write to Universal recently to offer my services on the new "Road To.." box. But, having received no response, I can only assume it's been completed. Whether or not they've put in any extras, I can't say.

Let's wait and see.

Ken
Ron Patmore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: The new Roads box set Reply with quote

I was sorry to learn that Ken Barnes is not involved with Universal's new "Roads" six-pack. In fact, I think the standard of Universal's box sets has gone down woefully since Ken stopped working for them. The Doris Day box, for instance, despite its enormous box, offers nothing but the movies. And to call "Young At Heart" a "50th Anniversary Edition" is a pathetic travesty. Nowhere is there any mention of an anniversary and not even clear chaptering.

One can only hope that this new box does, at least, use the intelligent and helpful chapter plan that was part of the first 4-disc box. But how will "Rio" and "Bali" be presented ?
Neil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has a Music Zone close to them - the 7 film box of Road movies is currently on sale at £11.97.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: New "Road" box set bargain Reply with quote

Thanks Neil, for bringing this bargain to our attention.

Go to it, Roadsters !
Neil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did double dip here (already having ken's 4 film set) because it did appear to be a bargain (£59.99 at HMV and £35 on the chepest internet site) in order to get Rio and Bali. I didn't want to be stung by the individual releases of these two. I have watched Rio and it looked quite a good copy and I must admit, not having seen it in ages, it was great.

I did look in my local Music Zone yesterday and every copy has gone!
Neil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I maent Rio not Bali!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: ROAD TO RIO Reply with quote

Hi Neil,

I'm not suprised that a 7-disc box set of the "Roads" has disappeared. That's got to be the bargain of the year.

I think "Rio" is actually the best of all the "Roads." Most people favour "Moroocco" and " "Utopia" - both of qwhich are good examples of the franchise, but "Rio" was actually something of a departure from the format. For one thing it had a more sophisticated script ( if you can overlook some of the corny jokes at the very beginning in the map sequence ), it had more great sight-gags than in any of the other films
( the " This is murder" langauge lesson and the "soap bubbles trumpet" scene, for example ) and it was the best photographed of the "Road" picture ( consider that shot on the ship when the camera moves over the heads of the audience to pick up Bing and Dorothy as they sit down behind the cinema screen. Director of Photography, Ernest Lazlow's tracking shot would not be out of place today.) also "Rio" is longest film in the entire series.

One question re. the 7-disc box set. Does it include the same chapter sequences, programme notes and special features that are in the 4-disc set ?

Regards
Ken
Neil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ROAD TO RIO Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
Hi Neil,

I'm not suprised that a 7-disc box set of the "Roads" has disappeared. That's got to be the bargain of the year.

I think "Rio" is actually the best of all the "Roads." Most people favour "Moroocco" and " "Utopia" - both of qwhich are good examples of the franchise, but "Rio" was actually something of a departure from the format. For one thing it had a more sophisticated script ( if you can overlook some of the corny jokes at the very beginning in the map sequence ), it had more great sight-gags than in any of the other films
( the " This is murder" langauge lesson and the "soap bubbles trumpet" scene, for example ) and it was the best photographed of the "Road" picture ( consider that shot on the ship when the camera moves over the heads of the audience to pick up Bing and Dorothy as they sit down behind the cinema screen. Director of Photography, Ernest Lazlow's tracking shot would not be out of place today.) also "Rio" is longest film in the entire series.

One question re. the 7-disc box set. Does it include the same chapter sequences, programme notes and special features that are in the 4-disc set ?

Regards
Ken

I can't compare exactly because the 4 box has been 'borrowed' by a relative but after skimming through the Utopia menu it looks very similar. It has the same extras as I recall from the earlier set - Hollywood Victory Caravan, Stage Door Canteen, Trailer, Notes pt 4.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: The Complete Roads Reply with quote

Thanks, Neil. It may be worth getting.
Neil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewed Bali today and it was presented in a stunning print.

Unfortunately Utopia freezes in my DVD player, though the back up disc I made plays perfectly.

So between the two boxes I have everything!!! Though I'm not usually a 'double dipper', on this occasion, I'm glad I did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Road Films All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: