laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tommy Rall

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Bakker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Tommy Rall Reply with quote

I watched the DVD 'Kiss Me Kate' a few days ago. Not a film i have ever seen before. I was blown away with the dancing - Ann Miller, Bob Fosse and especially Tommy Rall. The roof top dance with Ann Miller is simply breathtaking.
I'm amazed Tommy Rall didn't have more of a film career. He was well featured in ' Kiss Me Kate' and the wonderful 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' but doesn't seem to have done much else of note as far as film is concerned. 'My Sister Eileen' appears to be the only other film where Tommy had a featured role. I've just ordered it from amazon, the reviews i read all praise the dancing of Tommy and Bob Fosse.
Any other Tommy Rall films i should be looking out for?
Mark Bakker
Bristol
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Tommy Rall Reply with quote

I agree with you, Mark, about Tommy Rall. In 1976 Gene Kelly told me that he regarded Rall as an outstanding talent but felt that he had come into his own too late. Kelly cast him as the flashy boyfriend in the ill-fated "Invitation To The Dance"(1956). By the mid-1950s the Hollywood studios were already beginning to turn their backs on the screen musical and within a few years it had all but disappeared.

The career of Tommy Ralls is a checkered one. Born in 1929, he first appeared in films in 1943 in a series of small and uncredited roles (usually as a young dancer). It was his appearance in "Kiss Me Kate" that first got him noticed. Then came "7 Brides for 7 Brothers"(1954) and "My Sister Eileen" followed by a few dramatic roles between 1955 and '56. Then he appeared in the Danny Kaye musical "Merry Andrew" (1958). This was followed by a long absence from the screen during which time he worked in the ballet world. In 1968 he appeared (uncredited) as Barbra Striesand's frustrated dancing partner in the spoof "Swan Lake" sequence ( which is available on DVD). It was another 13 years before he appeared on the screen again with a small role in the 1981 Steve Martin film of "Pennies From Heaven." ( also on DVD )After this, he appeared in a couple of TV films. Then came "Dancers" (1987) in which he was billed as Thomas Rall. His last known screen appearance was as the Werewolf in "Saturday the 14th Strikes Back"(1988).

And that's all that is currently known about Tommy Rall except that he will be celebrating his 77th birthday on December 29th.

TV
Mark Bakker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken

Thank you for the interesting information about Tommy Rall. It's especially interesting to know that Gene Kelly rated Tommy Rall so highly.
Since my last posting i read this about 'Invitation to the Dance' (see link)

http://www.geocities.com/crazyforcinema/bio3.html

This article says that Tommy Rall appeared in a fourth episode of 'Invitation to the Dance' which didn't make the final film. Did Gene Kelly mention this when you met him in 1976? Are you aware if this cut portion of the film still exists? It would certain make a welcome extra to any DVD release of 'Invitation to the Dance' in the future.
I'm interested to see that you describe 'Invitation to the Dance' as ill fated. It's been a while since i've seen this film (on TV about 20 years ago i guess) but i remember it as quite an interesting performance film, if you like dancing, which i do.
Maybe you were referring to the lack of commercial success or maybe Gene Kelly wasn't entirely satisfied with it? Would be interested to know your views on the film.
Best Wishes,
Mark Bakker
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Tommy Rall Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

That was an interesting biography on Tommy Rall. Gene Kelly's "Invitation To The Dance" came on the heels of "An American In Paris" which was both a critical and commercial success. Unfortuately, it was considered too "arty" and it didn't preview well. I believe it was at this point that the fourth sequence was cut. MGM kept it on the shelf for four years before releasing it and it did very poor business.

While Tommy Rall was much admired by fellow dancers, he didn't really have the good looks of Kelly or the elegance of Astaire. Donald O' Connor may have placed him above Astaire and Kelly, but it's doubtful if many would agree with him. There was a story that Andre Previn told about Bob Fosse and Tommy Ralls both trying to imitate Fred Astaire's walk and failing to succeed. Fosse said "There's only one Fred. He's the master."

And Gene Kelly certainly agreed with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Musicals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: