laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternate takes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Alternate takes Reply with quote

Was listening to Bing on my i-pod today at the gym and I put the thing on random play. After a few recordings had played, Bing popped up with The Good Old Times. I took this from the 3 disc United Artists set, but listening closely, I noticed some slightly different phrasing from Bing on some of the words from this recording. It sounded a bit different from the recording on the LP That's What Life Is All About.

Also noticed I think some differences from the Crosby/Astaire album too on some of the tracks. Is it me, Ken, or were different takes used for some later rereleases compared to some of the original albums in the 70s?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Alternate takes Reply with quote

Yes, we did use alternate takes on the Bing UA CDs. I didn't like the sound too much on "Just Breezin' Along" - which was the first time the stuff had been remixed in digital - so when I came to do the "Complete UA Sessions" I went back to some of the originals and re-mixed others from alternate takes ( not that there were too many optional takes with Bing. If he went to a third take, it was unusual. Two takes was the average.

The Crosby/Astaire album on CD does differ very slightly from the LP = but mostly it's the same except for "Change Partners" and a few bars of "Pick Yourself Up." "Top Billing" is the same take as the LP but a different mix.

I think it's a nice idea to ring the changes from time to time. The "Complete UA" box was remastered to reflect a commonality of sound quality and I think this set is the best representation of thos sessions.

Thanks to Neil and Mark for your interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: